Adressing the lack of quest Mods: A collaboration between Modders, Wri

ThoseTolerableNoobs

NOTICE, THE FOLLOWING PROJECTS ARE NOW SPONSORED AND SUPPORTED BY THIS THREAD. IF ANYONE COULD LEND A HAND WITH THESE, I WOULD BE APRECIATIVE:

True Lichdom - A mod which aims to introduce a playable Lich form (undead-immortal) with unique gameplay aspects and a compelling storyline.

Compelling Romance - A mod which aims to create believable romance options to replace the wooden, solely for money-grinding romance options already in place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Perhaps some of you have noticed that, although they are by far (in my opinion) the most intriguing genre of mods, the Skyrim Nexus and Workshop seem to have a disproportionately small amount of quest mods, and those that exist, while in general being good, are typically short, or unambitious in terms of the lore.

I propose that we change this...

My request, or rather, suggestion, is that the quest modders and writers of these forums come together to produce a larger, more memorable (that's not to say current mod requests are not the latter), collection of mods or quest lines that will supplement the Bethsheda experience, and deliver more compelling narratives and compelling gameplay.

This sounds like a lot, so I have broken down the request into a list of directions:

1) Create, using the forum, a team of Level Designers, Modders/coders, and Writers (I am the latter)

2) Allow the writers to create the quest

3) (And this the real request part) Send this to quest modder, who will implement and distribute the mod using their own methods

4) Soak up the praise (and cookies) from the general public

As a suggestion, here are some of the quest mods I had in mind:

1) Help a correspondent from Cyrodiil investigate the apparent weakening of the Nirn-Oblivion barrier (With entry into several Daedric realms)

2) The addition of a fifth faction with quest line.

If you would be interested in helping, please leave you account name, and method of assistance, in the following format:

ACCOUNT NAME:

HOW CAN YOU ASSIST?:

EXAMPLE OF PREVIOUS WORK: (If any, this isn't required, and I won't be picky, I'm just curious.)

Thank you for reading, and enjoy the mods!

Edited by ThoseTolerableNoobs

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem lie in the community itself. One could say "I support your idea" but what effort are given to show it?

Well, they would have to use an applicable skill (e.g. Writing, coding, level design etc.) to help with the project, which would be conducted either through the forum, or a more private location (I.e. Dedicated site).

For instance, once sufficient people were on board, writers would work on this forum to help build a script. The modders that signed up would then preform the actual implementation. Does that answer your question?

Apologies if my post seem to look like it's directed towards you. It isn't. It's just that like I said, no effort for "I agree with your idea" reply. What you're suggesting isn't a solution to the problem. It's just stating the awful obvious. For example, this thread you started may not be read by those who frequent the General Discussion section plus with the amount of "ideas" the guys are having here including the bump replies, I can guarantee that at some point, it's going to be in the 3rd or 5th page within a day or 2 (if not hours) thus making the targeted group (writers, level designers) skip, overlook etc this thread. So what can we do to solve it? It's simple. Advertising. There's the signature section in the user's profile which you can edit and use to your advantage. Not self promoting or anything, I'm currently doing what you're saying! :cool: So pick your mods and contribute! Doesn't matter directly or indirectly! :)

I suppose I should apologise too, as I don't think i've made myself clear either. My proposal is to create a group, similar to the one you have created, that will create these mods. i was simply stating that there are a lack of them as a justification. I agree that I should advertise, and I thank you for your suggestion, but I fail to see how I am simply stating the obvious. Do you think I should create a quest idea, and then advertise for people to help create, rather than a proposal for a group?

Its not that people do not want to create quest mods that last upwards of 4 hours take sooooo long, my own project has been going on since the day the CK was out and im still not half way done. Specially with the CK being half broken and hight mapping taking hours and hours then crashing or not working at all makes it even harder to create new world spaces that look good and are playable.

In all honesty i think its actually skyrim itself that makes it harder to make quest mods. Unlike oblivion you cant go 2 min's without finding some dungeon, fort or cave, most of which are quest related or have some radient AI quest on them. Skyrim also doesnt feel as big as oblivion, or morrowind, cuz of them things.

Creating a large quest mod is a massive under taking for 1 person and forming a mod team, you have to have a good reputation, portfolio of work and a really special idea.

I do agree with you though dude.

From my point of view and the way things are going (which I've seen so far including irl) sometimes in order to start something, one needs to inspire. The inspired (i.e me) will follow :P Take for example, people who ask for mods for specific armor. They just ask for it, not even have the common courtesy of posting an image to inspire or pique the modders interest and they have the gall to say "Get your lazy ass up and do it, you selfish Modders". Well, they don't say it directly but it's plain obvious what they mean. Basic layouts of quest, make it as specific as possible and start (show some effort!). Edited by Drakescale

Its not that people do not want to create quest mods that last upwards of 4 hours take sooooo long, my own project has been going on since the day the CK was out and im still not half way done. Specially with the CK being half broken and hight mapping taking hours and hours then crashing or not working at all makes it even harder to create new world spaces that look good and are playable.

In all honesty i think its actually skyrim itself that makes it harder to make quest mods. Unlike oblivion you cant go 2 min's without finding some dungeon, fort or cave, most of which are quest related or have some radient AI quest on them. Skyrim also doesnt feel as big as oblivion, or morrowind, cuz of them things.

Creating a large quest mod is a massive under taking for 1 person and forming a mod team, you have to have a good reputation, portfolio of work and a really special idea.

I do agree with you though dude.

Thank you, I am going to put up a basic overview of a quest I have in mind. The fact that Skyrim doesn't feel as big is one of my objectives in this thread.

See i agree aswell, but as the CK is still fairly new and as i said somewhat broken folks are seeming to avoid joining teams either in favor of there own work or they dont see a project being completed.

Take my own project, i have requested help 3 times on here and not 1 person has replied, i may be fair green on nexus but im not new to modding, that dosnt matter unless people can see and experience your work. I guess i am guilty of doing all of the above, while my project remains unfinished i wont go out of my way to create a mod on request from some one, unless its a tiny little change that takes all of 2 seconds to do.

I love quest mods... not much of a modder though, in Oblivion about all I could do was find information in the Construction Set. I am a fairly decent gold mine of ideas and inspiration though, also a fairly consistent tester; I pretty much did all of the beta testing for Integration, and offered countless ideas, inspiration, and motivation to keep the mod going as long as it did.

Phoenix1213( on Bethsoft forums), JCP76m here obviously.

testing, ideas, possibly some writing

Oblivion mods, Fallout New Vegas mods, fallout 3 mods, Deus Ex mods, etc.

I'm usually better at testing gameplay/story/character elements. I'm not as good at playing broken alpha builds where I'm supposed to find screwed up landscape, and ignore quests that don't work because they're not done yet.