Open Community  ·  6 members

BattleTech

Patchwork

Dragon32

I've noticed a few mods (e.g. "Company Mech Salvage") which seem to be distributing a modified Assembly-CSharp.dll as a replacement

I've used "IE Mod" for Pillars of Eternity (also here on Nexus) which is another game using the Unity engine.

IE Mod is distributed using Patchwork - "a program that allows you to mod certain games using mod files made by others."

Patchworks supported games include:

"Unity/.NET

Games that run on Unity and use .NET for their game logic (mainly C#, but some also use other languages).

Luckily, the majority of popular Unity titles do primarily use .NET.

Modding in this case is somewhat more limited, as you can only mod the game logic in the scripts, but from experience, you still have vastly more power than typical official modding tools would give you."

Now, I have no idea about the inner workings of Mechwarrior and if this is even relevant but, to me, having mods distributed as basically diff files rather than an all or nothing approach would be great. From what I can work out with IE Mod the modified functions are compiled into a DLL, Patchwork uses that DLL to amend the corresponding DLL from the vanilla game.

This sounds like the correct way to do it assuming I'm reading this right. The problem with csharp edits is the same trouble we still have with manifestentry replacements. Without an override system in place it's all conflict. I read something about an early merge/override on reddit but I'm not sure if it's moving forward at all.