Maharg67's Den (shorter works, short stories, poetry, etc.)

Maharg67

Conan of Tamriel #5

Entering the Deadlands

Continued on from Post #78

The fake OblivionGate got the group to the Deadlands being operated by Arazaran mages. Conan led the expedition through the energy gateway, all of the Northlanders feeling some nausea that quickly subsided once they were in the Deadlands. They found themselves on a great, wide ridge on the side of a great rocky mountain overlooking also a great plateau. The plateau was surprising fertile and heavily populated, by the terms of the Deadlands, with not just the typical elegantly ugly metallic towers but strange domes, ring walled yards and other structures.

There were not just typical daedra there but also daedric workers not normally seen by outsiders. These were runts, scamp like creatures with nimbler hands but no powers to throw fireballs, leathery skinned humans adapted to existence in the Deadlands and dremora like tremora who were a far more peaceful, less erratic and more productive people. Crops of strange plants were growing thickly inside the ring-wall enclosures while big clannfear like creatures hauled wagons full of mined stone or produce or manufactured goods. Plumes of black smoke rose from the chimneys of heavy metallic and stone buildings.

In the far distance was a great daedric castle made up of many metallic towers, flying buttresses and other structures clumped together, often melded together. Great banners flew from it and symbols were emblazoned on it both garish and elegant.

Conan cursed. "That is Castle Dagon where one would find Mehrunes Dagon himself most of the time. He sits upon his great throne or entertains himself in various dark ways or sleeps upon a great metallic bed. Or so it is said. That, on the plateau, is the Deadlands Prime Domeant where there is growing of crops, the making of items and many other activities of importance to the Deadlands and to the power of Mehrunes Dagon. We are very close to where we need to be to carry out our task but we are also in great danger here."

Conan fingered the strange metallic pouch at his neck that held, in a special magical fashion, the powerful artifact that they had brought back to the Deadlands. Except that he was starting to have doubts about the story that his people had been told. What had him doubting, he was not sure, but he found himself constantly going over the details of what had seemed to be a quite straight forward and reasonable account of events.

He led the others along the ridge, it was covered thickly by great exotic plants of oddly beautiful ugly appearance, until they found a cave to conceal themselves in. They drank some water and ate some travel biscuits. Water could be found in the Deadlands, often in the oddest of ways, but it was not easy and the water often had to be treated to be drinkable. The shamans, in the group, had special powders for that and often water needed just to be boiled and filtered.

As they crouched, in the cave, something strange happened. The metallic pouch flashed blue, sparkling briefly, and then it began to rain outside. The light rain fell from a lightly cloudy sky and as it fell, it glowed blue, being far more than normal rain. As it struck the larva it flashed blue but elsewhere it acted as it was normal rain, except for the glowing effect. The group was drawn to the entrance of the cave and then outside to the ridge with the raindrops falling upon them, causing no harm at all but soon making them wet with glowing blue effect. Glowing blue water drops fell off them.

Then it was over except that, in the distance, parts of the great larva ocean had become areas of solid ground though not totally stable. Conan quickly decided he would not want to risk walking on it. He also decided that the glowing blue rain would be quickly noted by MehrunesDagon and his followers, of course, and they would soon be seeking answers to just what was going on.

Continued on in Post #92

Edited by Maharg67

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I SUPPOSE I COULD HAVE DONE BETTER

I suppose that I could have done better, been better

BUT I was only human, am only human

A poor excuse, perhaps, but the only one I wish to offer of those that I can offer

TO those interested in observing my sad apologies for my past actions.

STILL, could you have done any better?

Edited by Maharg67

• 3 weeks later...

I AM THE DRAGON

I AM OLDER THAN TIME

I HAVE CREATED MULTITUDES OF WORLDS

I CREATED THE DRAGONS

I HAVE BURNED A UNIVERSE WITH ATOMIC FIRE

I AM THE DRAGON

I AM DRAGON LORD AZRIEL

FEAR ME AND KNOW THAT I AM WITH GOD NOW!!!

Edited by Maharg67

• 3 weeks later...

:smile: :smile: :smile:

A smile
where one
expected a frown!

:yes:

Edited by Maharg67

• 4 weeks later...

JUST SOME QUESTIONS

Is Anything more important than Anyone?

Is ownership of something more important than the sharing of something?

Is pride more important than humility?

Is hate more important than love?

Is waging war more important than being at peace?

Is being busy more important than being at rest?

Are are priorities right when it comes to these or other matters?

Edited by Maharg67

• 2 weeks later...

MAY YOU LIVE IN 'INTERESTING TIMES'

A Chinese Curse!

Edited by Maharg67

I understand (more) now but is it enough?

A new clarity of mind come from wisdom or just a more careful use of medication?

Seeing more clearly, acting more carefully, speaking with more caution!

I have reached a higher place (now) but the staircase continues upwards before me; will I ever reach the top?

I just keep on going on!

GGP

Edited by Maharg67

• 4 weeks later...

FOCUS ON THE NOW!

NOT ON YESTERDAY OR TOMORROW

FOCUS ON THE NOW!

NOT ON FICTION OR FANTASY

FOCUS ON THE NOW!

As a strong guideline this makes sense even if it is not totally achieved!

GGP

Edited by Maharg67