Conduit: Alignment to walls?

SirGalahad

I don't even know how I got a piece of wall pass-though to attach to the side of a building I made, but I did. I moved around for a while, but the thing only wanted to be placed in open space, not through a wall. When it finally snapped into a corner of the building, I counted myself lucky and left it alone.

However, when I went inside the building to run the associated conduit, I found the wall pass-through had not actually aligned with the wall it was adjacent to. As conduit extended outward, it inched closer to the wall, to the point that junctions and the like no longer have enough space to attach.

Any way to fix this? We are talking a matter of a few degrees, too little to control with right and left mouse button rotation. It almost seems impossible to wire a large building, or manage anything complex.

Edited by SirGalahad

I don't know if this will work. But "Place Everywhere" gives you the option of adjusting just HOW much/little you want to move/turn an object by each key stroke/mouse button. I usually start out with default 1 when turning things into place. And then for fine adjustment I'm down to 0.1. Which is VERY slow moving on holding down the mouse button.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9424

Place Everywhere will also let you place the pass-throughs on a wall whether or not it's green-highlighted as snappable, so this will help you bypass the pass-through wanting to be snapped onto nothing.

Edited by audiodef

• 2 weeks later...

PE also has a feature called Workshop Grid (default toggle is F3) that copies a nearby existing object's angle on the Z axis, and allows rotation in 45-degree increments. It's extremely useful for fast lining up of objects such as conduit pieces. You can also copy (the key next to 0) and paste (6) the Z angle from another object and then rotate the placed object manually in 90-degree increments until it faces the appropriate direction. But best of all, you don't ever need to use the wall passthroughs again, since you can just route other conduit pieces through walls. The passthrough doesn't snap to walls, by the way, it only sticks to top surfaces (ie. floors), with free rotation, just like all the other stock Contraptions Workshop conduit pieces, and if the wall is thin enough, then the connector stub will stick through and the game lets you place it. Unless you use PE, as mentioned.

Oh....

I have gotten a lot better at running conduit. I often must remove the wall I want to pass through, place a length or two of pipe to verify my angle, tweak things, and replace the wall when the pass-through seems to be in place. Concrete spaces are the most particular to work with, but removing walls before placing pass-through conduit helps.

I will probably install the script extender at some point, as there remains enough build features lacking to justify the trouble. And there is the Transfer Settlements blueprint mod, too, which looks cool.

Thanks!