Something wrong with Nexus Mod Manager?

chris3000x

I am pretty new with the nexus mod manager but i dont understand why nothing changes after adding my plugins to the manager? I tried adding the "Better whiterun" mod but nothing seems to change after i log into the game.

Please help and thank you :)

Simplest answer is usually what fixes this.

Using NMM is simple, but you MUST start Skyrim from INSIDE NMM. You can't expect a downloaded mod to run if you are NOT using NMM to start Skyrim.

Best solution I have found is to start Steam, minimize it. Then Start NMM and launch Skyrim from inside NMM. That way, every mod you have enabled inside of NMM will run. If you start Skyrim directly from Steam, it will only load the mods that have been enabled manually withing Skyrim Launcher or Steam.

All 3, (NMM, Steam, Skyrim) use different control files to determine what mods are loaded. NMM will read from SKyrim and then ADD the files you have enabled within NMM. Skyrim will NOT do that, neither will Steam.

Edited by Bannor9

I use NMM to manage my mods. I have NEVER started Skyrim from within NMM.

I don't even have NMM running when I start the game and all my mods work just fine. I use a desktop icon, pinned to my taskbar, that links directly to the executable for the game. I don't know where you got your information regarding this, Bannor9, but your source is 100% incorrect regarding NMM. I have no idea about Steam, since I don't use Steam to get my mods, but with NMM all you have to is activate your mods there and start up Skyrim normally.

You definitely do not have to start skyrim from inside NMM. Once you actually activate the mods it installs the files and you can start skyrim however you want to, I don't know what would be causing your problem unless a security program is blocking NMM's access to your computer or you are just not activating the mods correctly. It's pretty hard to screw up though. Have you read the readme file for the mod to make sure there's nothing you have to do / time you have to wait to see the changes?

If you have activated the mods in NMM, You should be able to exit it and run as if it wasn't there at all. However, If any mod requires SKSE, you will need to start SKSE instead of launching Skyrim.

Using the Skyrim launcher built into NMM does NOT start SKSE UNLESS you are using the Launch SKSE option.

NMM closes when you start the game. The only thing the game uses from NMM is the load order of activated mods.

Most common mistake is assuming just because a mod has been installed using NMM that it is also activated - That is a separate step that MUST be done under the NMM mods tab.

From what I understand since I've never used custom fallout 3 mods but just the DLC, the DLC have to be in a folder somewhere in your Documents folder (I use Vista so I couldn't tell you off the top of my head) and the DLC for fallout 3 didn't work when i was online, but only started to work when i went offline last month.

So point in case, i believe your mods when using steam will most likely be where your DLC is or somewhere within steam where your game folder is located.