Profile-specific mods / multiple installations

kamikatze13

Coming from MO, I had four different installations, where each installation would add new, installation-specific mods to the respective load order. Mods from other installations were symlinked on a case-by-case basis.

So basically what i had was profile/instance-specific mod sets:

MO instance 1: Mod A, Mod B

MO instance 2: Mod A*, Mod B*, Mod C

MO instance 3: Mod A*, Mod C*, Mod D, Mod E (notice Mod B is missing)

* indicates symlink, so i don't have multiple copies of mod files

and so on.

Am I able to replicate this with VO?

Edited by kamikatze13

Not sure if is that what you are looking for. But on Vortex it's possible and has the feature to create many profiles as you want. Each profile can have different mods loaded or order.

As far as I understood the additional profiles you add won't duplicate mod installation, just link them.

Something I am still uncomfortable with, is that mods like FNIS or Bodyslide, that create files outside Vortex, will have those changes copied back to the mod.

To me, that pollutes any other profile that uses that mod.

Same for any mod that creates JSON files, like JContainer.

I would welcome being corrected on this...

... profiles as you want. Each profile can have different mods loaded or order.

the issue with profiles is they all share the same set of installed mods. which is exactly the nitpick i try to work around. i'd end up with up to 3/4 of mods just linger there being disabled for a given profile.

Edited by kamikatze13

... profiles as you want. Each profile can have different mods loaded or order.

the issue with profiles is they all share the same set of installed mods. which is exactly the nitpick i try to work around. i'd end up with up to 3/4 of mods just linger there being disabled for a given profile.

Now that is a problem I have not seen. When you switch profiles, the only mods enabled are to ones in that profile. Nothing "lingering" from other profiles.

There is a difference between "Installed" and "Enabled". If it is not enabled - there are no hard links. I think.

Maybe we need a good definition of what "Installed" and "Enabled" mean.

Now that is a problem I have not seen. When you switch profiles, the only mods enabled are to ones in that profile. Nothing "lingering" from other profiles.

There is a difference between "Installed" and "Enabled". If it is not enabled - there are no hard links. I think.

Maybe we need a good definition of what "Installed" and "Enabled" mean.

GSR5UA7.jpg

basically with profiles there's no way to hide mods that are used in other profiles, is there?

Your use case is quite unusually so I don't really feel it necessary to support it officially beyond what's currently there but it would be extremely easy

to create an extension that helps with your requirements.

An extension could add a "profiles" column to the mods page, where you can select the profiles the mod should appear in and then you could filter by that column

to show only the mods associated with the active profile.

Multiple instances of vortex aren't really possible because the configuration of vortex at the very least is stored in a fixed location. You have two instances of vortex,

one shared and one per-user, but that's not really adequate to solve your use-case.

Your use case is quite unusually so I don't really feel it necessary to support it officially beyond what's currently there but it would be extremely easy

to create an extension that helps with your requirements.

An extension could add a "profiles" column to the mods page, where you can select the profiles the mod should appear in and then you could filter by that column

to show only the mods associated with the active profile.

Multiple instances of vortex aren't really possible because the configuration of vortex at the very least is stored in a fixed location. You have two instances of vortex,

one shared and one per-user, but that's not really adequate to solve your use-case.

yeah, it's an edge case - i'm fine with no official support, just looking at what is possible and what isn't =]

Thanks for pointing out the single config/database situation - any plans on changing that? I'll keep the extension suggestion in mind, though.