Getting Positive Feedback and-or Kudos!

Maharg67

I consider that getting positive useful feedback to anything I do is very good. No feedback at all is very frustrating. Negative feedback that says nothing much is deeply annoying. All negative feedback is annoying but sometimes buried in such feedback are some good pointers. Still, there is always the 'report' button.

I am speaking in regard to anything placed into Nexus be it mods, debate views, works of fiction, etc.

How do people feel about the gaining of positive feedback.

Then there is kudos. Is kudos more or less or as important as positive feedback?

I am not sure about kudos as the gaining of it does not really say much about the value of posted work but perhaps more about the popularity of a member. What does surprise me is the reluctance of many members to give kudos. Since I do not see kudos as greatly important, I tend to give it fairly easily.

Then there are polls. Can the use of polls represent good positive feedback of some kind or are they too simplistic? That is if a poll is set up with a story or poem etc. asking members to use the poll to give feedback to that post or posts. I have tried using polls to get feedback from people but people seem reluctant to use them even if they remain anonymous in doing so, which I figured would be a good reason to use them in that way.

I am sure these questions have been asked before but this topic is also about comparing the three types of 'feedback' and their relative value.

Just curious but what do you think editors do in book publishing, magazines and newspapers? They routinely take an author out to the proverbial woodshed and flay his/her work to shreds, out and out reject and use their red pen as if it was a rapier. Sometimes they also praise but that is the minority of occasions. If an author cannot take rejection then like actors they are in the wrong business.

Both negative and postive feedback can be helpful as long that feedback is constructive, "this sucks" isn't any help to anyone.

Just curious but what do you think editors do in book publishing, magazines and newspapers? They routinely take an author out to the proverbial woodshed and flay his/her work to shreds, out and out reject and use their red pen as if it was a rapier. Sometimes they also praise but that is the minority of occasions. If an author cannot take rejection then like actors they are in the wrong business.

Editors and publishers are paying those authors.

The initial question was somewhat confusing to me, but I will attempt a response.

When giving feedback on a mod, I attempt to be as positive as humanly possible. If I have a problem with the mod and do want to use the mod, I will politely ask how I can go about resolving my issues. I never attempt to blame the modder, as I never know for sure that the problem lays with the modder or with my download or with my own game or load order. I believe most modders want to know if there are issues with their mods. At least most of them tend to say so in their comments. However, I also think it is important to give them credit for their hard work. I know for certain that I do not have the talent to do what they do, and they deserve credit for their efforts. I will give kudos and endorsements only when I think a mod is exceptional. If I don't like a mod, I leave it alone, and do not leave comments of any sort.

On works of fiction I have only on occasion given feedback, and that has almost always been positive. I believe that those of you who post your works on the Nexus deserve to be given credit for "sticking your neck out" so to speak. If I like it, I will say so. If I really, really like it, I will give you a kudo on your profile page, something I have already done on yours, Maharg67.

I must admit that I do not read the fiction pages as often as I do the debates section, as I have a limited amount of time. However, I have found a couple of writers that I enjoy, and I tend to follow them from time to time. I do not always leave them comments though. I have left a couple in the past, and have hoped that they would suffice. As with modders, I sort of hope that they know now how I feel, and if there were an "Endorse" button on those pages, I would click it, as I do on the mod pages.

Regarding polls, they can be double edged swords. Some of the polls I have seen on Nexus have frequently contained confusing choices, or choices that in my opinion did not directly address the question at hand. Sometimes, I would like to see a "None of the Above" choice or a "Write In" choice on those polls.

I do hope that I have addressed your questions satisfactorily.

Both negative and postive feedback can be helpful as long that feedback is constructive, "this sucks" isn't any help to anyone.

Very true, but many authors write first then seek publishing so being paid is not always in the picture. Does an artist create 'art' for their own personal expression or the applause of others? The former I understand the latter has shades of needy narcissism. If asked, how many people have created mods for their own personal use with no intention of ever uploading them? I know that I have, the creation was the joy not the approbation that I might or might not get.

Edited by Aurielius

Very true, but many authors write first then seek publishing so being paid is not always in the picture. Does an artist create 'art' for their own personal expression or the applause of others? The former I understand the latter has shades of needy narcissism. If asked, how many people have created mods for their own personal use with no intention of ever uploading them? I know that I have, the creation was the joy not the approbation that I might or might not get.

True but once that artist is taking payment then they're producing a product for someone, the person employing them has every right to insist that artist does what he/she is told.

True but once that artist is taking payment then they're producing a product for someone, the person employing them has every right to insist that artist does what he/she is told.

I will grant you that when an artistic person sees their expression of inner thought into reality as a job then your point is absolutely valid. That still leaves the motivational question unanswered though. Lets take the example of paleolithic cave artists, I don't think they saw their art as a job but a necessity of self expression.

Edited by Aurielius

I will grant you that when an artistic person sees their expression of inner thought into reality as a job then your point is absolutely valid. That still leaves the motivational question unanswered though. Lets take the example of paleolithic cave artists, I don't think they saw their art as a job but a necessity of self expression.

If someone has decided to take money in return for their work then one must assume that money is the motivation, at least in part. I can't think of any other reason for someone to give up their independence.

If someone has decided to take money in return for their work then one must assume that money is the motivation, at least in part. I can't think of any other reason for someone to give up their independence.

Somehow I always put Artists on the same level as Philosophers, that their motivation was the creation of something out of nothing...but thats just my take.

Edited by Aurielius