Getting Positive Feedback and-or Kudos!

Maharg67

Kudos, is a nice little pat on the back that basically means nothing, other than to the ego. Good to get but basically pointless.

Feedback on the other hand, is invaluable. I'm a new modder, to be totally honest I was reticent about putting a mod out to the public, but I am so glad that I did, because of the feedback I have recieved - ESPECIALLY the constructive criticism, bug reports etc.

The kind words of course are always good to hear, but the constructively espressed negative opinion is the most useful of all. The key is "constructively expressed".

Edited by tetradite

I admit it was late at night when I wrote the 'question' and that I had difficulty expressing what I wanted to so I apologize for any difficulty in interpreting it.

@nyxalinth,

I have given you kudos!

@grannywils

Your answer was very well worded and very well done; I found it quite informative and interesting!

Sorry I can not respond here to others but I must rush off to do something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Oddly, even lack of feedback is feedback to me. I don't take mod comments personally. If I get an endorsement/kudos then I know whatever I created was on the right track at least a little bit. And it's usually to do with people's preferences and what is popular to have. A negative comment doesn't really mean much to me other than that there is a part of the community that doesn't care about this type of mod to the point of commenting negatively. Usually it is just one, and I just consider that a difference of opinion.

The most helpful to me are actual bug reports/comments including things that don't work and personal requests regarding the mod. That means someone didn't just download and delete it right away. It means that it was on the right track enough that someone is taking the time to make it work for them. That means the most, more than endorsements or anything.

• 1 month later...

There's this new social network I heard about that's great for getting feedback, www.Formvote.com - just a suggestion.

I seriously doubt that this new site can give feedback of the kind we are looking for here. It seems to be for people who cannot make up their mind what movie to see or what should be happening on a TV soap opera or does this outfit make me look fat. In order to give feedback on a mod, first you have to play the game, then install and play that mod. Then give constructive feedback (It sux is not constructive and considered trolling)

Then, - most important, the author of the mod will need to see the feedback before they even know what someone thinks of his mod. That means he or she will have to register there, then create a topic just to see what the very few users of both The Nexus and this site think behind the veil of anonymity. - Where the author cannot defend themselves from trolls.

The site may have some social networking uses, but I cannot see it as useful for feedback on mods - especially if many of the people allowed to rate likely haven't actually played the mod, and vote based on just a description or what someone told them about it, or a picture that may or may not be representative of what it does.

Most likely either a spambot or shill for that site.

For me, kudos are nice, especially in those cases (most of them) where I was helping someone with an issue they were having with a particular problem. As far as modding goes, I much prefer comments positive and critical, as they tend to give me greater insight on (a) how my mod interacts with others (b) where did the intentions of my mod excel or fall short of various users' expectations.