Warriors have it easy

greyday01

Warriors have it easy. Buy, make or find a decent set of steel armor and a weapon, a few ingots to improve it, possibly pay for a companion if you can't find a free friend, top it off with a few restore health potions and you are set.

I however am a mage. The cost of spell books has to be seen to be believed, each one unique and handwritten, no cheap used versions available. I could buy a couple houses for the price of the library I'll need. And don't even mention enchanting. The cost of even basic student made leather and iron enchanted items to disenchant is unbelievable. If you can find them at a merchant's to start with. Yeah, you can find some items by dungeon delving, but risking your life for the 20th knife with a fire spell when you've been searching everywhere for something with a shock spell, can drive you mad. There's a reason most enchanters are old. By the time they've found and learned enough enchantments to be of some use most of them are so old and senile that they've forgotten half of what they've learned. No wonder there are no teachers of enchantments. I spend half my study time at a forge making items I can enchant to pay for my studies. Of course most of what I get goes to buy soul gems. Even unfilled soul gems large enough for a decent enchantment costs the earth, and my staves also run through soul gems like water. Carry three or four on a trip and they're all empty by the time I get back. I should have listened to my father who told me to forget this magic nonsense and just be a blacksmith like himself.

Shrug. I always find caster tears to be refreshing and delicious. Skyrim is one of a very few games that doesn't buff player casters to sillyness to placate the entitled expectations of the wizarding jeedai.

Also, Warriors do not "have it easy" when trying to close with annoying, overbuffed mana and regen trash mob NPCs spamming gatling fireballs and ice nonstop while kiting backwards at full speed with autobot navigation and targeting.

Edited by TeofaTsavo

Shrug. I always find caster tears to be refreshing and delicious. Skyrim is one of a very few games that doesn't buff player casters to sillyness to placate the entitled expectations of the wizarding jeedai.

There are no more tears to drink though, if they enchant all their gear with 100% spell reduction, and chugging down those fortify magnitude potions that boost spell damage to retarded levels(300-30k%+). Which is really easy to accomplish. Considering that 'warrior' builds can also do the same thing, the gap between the two play styles are brought to a close.

Your issue would be a lot more...pointed... if there were actual classes in this game. Since you can do what you want and then dedicate to Magedom (That's right, "magedom"). Naturally, if you actively choose mage, then you are roleplaying that way.

For example: I'm a Battlemage**, and I had to buy armor, weapons and spells. Then it comes a time when you have a lot of gold, way too much...I tend to joke that I would buy Haafingar if I wanted. Still kinda want to...

By the way, if you are worried about old age, do what I did, become a vampire. Or I dunno, research immortality with Dyvaith Fyr, was that Fyr, or am I wrong? Whatever.

**You know, heavy armor, weapon and spell, etc.

Your issue would be a lot more...pointed... if there were actual classes in this game. Since you can do what you want and then dedicate to Magedom (That's right, "magedom"). Naturally, if you actively choose mage, then you are roleplaying that way.

For example: I'm a Battlemage**, and I had to buy armor, weapons and spells. Then it comes a time when you have a lot of gold, way too much...I tend to joke that I would buy Haafingar if I wanted. Still kinda want to...

By the way, if you are worried about old age, do what I did, become a vampire. Or I dunno, research immortality with Dyvaith Fyr, was that Fyr, or am I wrong? Whatever.

**You know, heavy armor, weapon and spell, etc.

I don't have an issue with playing a mage. I like it and usually play as a mage with combat mostly as backup when I run out of magica. But if I WAS a student mage, I might reconsider the advantages of that course of study vs a more practical apprenticeship. Sort of like here and now, years in college and major debt by the time you get out, makes you consider the benefits of something like carpentry or plumbing for a living instead.

Magic is certainly not an everyday thing that you can get any silver out of it*. Unless it's enchanting, provided that the person has the means to pay for it - they usually don't. I mean, noone is going to enchant his "pa's axe". To get some court commission, they probably ask for the best. Of course, you can be a court mage, but then you have that same competition between the other qualified mages. It's rough, ultimately adventuring is probably the highest paying thing one can have, but it's certainly not for everyone, it's not nice and your companions and friends can die. Makes me wonder how the college is still standing...I mean, would they waive tuition, or lower it? After all, a college is nothing without students, and noone seems to be clamoring to get in...

*Reminds me of those mines in Dawnstar, I think it was. One was a moonstone mine and the other iron, moonstone is more expensive, delicate and used for interesting armor, but will the regular person want to craft with it? Iron, though, everyone uses it. The end result is that iron is a lot more profitable all around.

Edit#1: It was a quicksilver mine, not a moonstone.