Captcha on Login

kamikatze13

This is not funny anymore.

"Captcha Failed". Even after several tries. Even if I am absolutely sure I did not make a typo.

And the audio does not match with the captcha.

Not giving up just because I wanted to post this.

Please can you use another form of captcha? Selecting pictures for example. Or answering a question like "3 + 4 = ... "

Edited by debbie23

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Robin, Dave. Can't Imagine the frustration for Nexus staff this past year-plus, with an rebuilt site, Vortex. Managing compatibly for expiring mod managers. Cu-do's, job well done. And all in the wake of so much negative input from site users. Stagnation, "doing things the way it has always been done" is in fact counter productive.
Though with "security", options do exist that do not alienate security conscious users. This topic is not one where one rolls there eyes, blindly dismissing concerns as "Venting". Security is an real problem that users, websites. the internet as a whole must take into account. To suggests that measures have been put in place to facilitate those who "do not" take serious their online safety at the cost of those who do is in fact stagnation as well as counter productive.
To quote, "with all due respect - we don't need `a place to vent` but a solution to a usability problem"
This is what needs to be addressed. Educate the careless who do not practice safe password implementation. Do Not Punish Those Who Take Their online safety seriously. (We've noticed in recent months a lot of malicious bot activity trying to gain access to people's accounts. They've succeeded in some places and stolen a lot of accounts in the process due to user's using the same logins and passwords across multiple sites that have been hacked and leaked online, and then not changing those passwords.).
Also such thought less comments as this can come back to haunt you. ("having it to supplement our security outweigh the inconvenience to our users").
Just pointing out that an open mind on this topic is to the benefit of all.
And for the readers; users of this forum, please try to be helpful with useful suggestions that implement practical solutions and do not consist of, or focus on the frustration that is built up do to the annoying logon.

Fixed, sort of. See news 7-19-18

Thank all at Nexusmods. 2FA activated.
Two-factor authentication has been successfully activated on your account.
This works.

Edited by lilphucq

This recaptcha crap is a major pain in the %$#Took 10 minutes and 50 tries to sign in - it just isn't worth it. If you have to do this, use a servcie that actually works - and one that isn't effing spying on us. WTF!

LOL! - i know

yesterday no problems, 2 days be4 - no problems -> TODAY - oh my gosh :) that recaptcha goes wild and wrong here. no letters matching the audio... - again

i said yesterday "i can live with it" seems i have to perform a "Trump" and now i say: No, i can not live with it or sometimes i can live with it, maybe not.

in the past i was able to login with a matching pair. today i tried 20 30? i don't know -could'nt count ;) so i enabled google for a blink of an eye, pressed login 3 times in short time. short after that i have seen this street sign captcha, it closed itself *g* and presented me the other google captcha what changed to a simple google-captcha-logo - login, yeah

so we suffer because of some dumb users who using 12345 passwords and the site owner got shots in his pants because of that. so he installed google captchas, yeah "great" solution. *clappinghands* :)

some of us bring in many efforts to get a login what says in general we like this site! but there are borders... i´m lucky because i did not pay for premium acc (thought about that some times).

p.s. Some users have ridiculous open settings what makes it possible for sites to track them trough the whole internet. have a nice day :)

Now the result of my next testing: PC with Windows 7, Antivirus Program Malwarebytes, Internet Explorer without any changes (Default Settings of Microsoft). Login with the same "symptoms" that I had with opera. I got a captcha fail without having seen a captcha, had to try the next captcha.

Edit: logged out, closed Internet Explorer. Opened IE, tried to log on Nexus again. I did not delete cookies or browser history. Got again captcha failure as result without seeing a captcha. Had to do a new captcha that was presented after failed login.

At homeI can try to test that with MS Ege and IE on a Windows 10 system. Or try same other Browsers like Google Chrome or Safari. But now I am really interested in getting advice which browser I should use with what settings for a Nexus Login with "captcha procedure doing only once" and never again because of saved Nexus Cookie. Saving and storing is not sufficient as demonstrated by my try with first time used browser that is installed on every PC with a Microsoft OS.

Second Edit: Same PC (Windows 7), now Mozilla Firefox. Firefox does not need the captcha, only username and password needed. Tested IE and opera gain. Got captcha fail again without having been shown a captcha.

It seems Nexus does not like Microsofts Internet Explorer or the Opera browser ;-)

Constructive part of this post :

With Mozilla Firefox, impossible to log in when I ask websites not to track me.
When tracking is available => Google Captcha kicks in, and I can log in (with difficulties)
When tracking is disable => Alternate Captcha kicks in, and I can't log in (captcha failed, captcha failed, captcha failed, etc.)

There's a very well known software, that offers games, modders services, micropayments, and deals with a lot more money than NexusMods. I'm talking about Steam.
Steam doesn't use Google Captcha.
Steam uses double-authentification.

If you want to improve "payments security", fine. Do like Steam.

There's a not-very well known mail box, that offers a full crypted mailing service. I'm talking about Protonmail. Some people use Protonmail to send sensitive and valuable informations.
Protonmail doesn't use Google Captcha.
Protonmail uses double-authentification, depending on the user preferences.
Do like Protonmail.

Not-constructive part of this post :

Funny how the original post presents this feature as an improvement in security, when it is actually not :
- It prevents almost everyone to log in
- Security for money yeeees, but people's data safety, well who cares ? Not like the GDPR law was voted last year in the EU. Not like there was a lot of concern about the subject because it is almost not reglemented. Not like you guys, making websites, search engines, mail boxes and stuff, are actually the only ones who could work on these services to garanty users safety, because of this lack of reglementation.

Edited by Shamyase

This is not funny anymore.

"Captcha Failed". Even after several tries. Even if I am absolutely sure I did not make a typo.

Edit: Some changes were made this morning that may help resolve the issue. Can you try again to login when you get a chance please?

PC Windows 7: IE login possible after doing several captchas (more than 3 less than 10), Opera login possible after doing three captchas, Mozilla Firefox login possible without any captchas. My own conclusion: only use Firefox for nexusmods.com (in my case).

And yes, I have read he site news posted today. Thanks for Your information.

Just took me about a dozen tries, all resulting in failure. I tried typing with and without the space between the two words, tried recycling the captcha, all to no avail. I finally closed the site and reopened, and was able to log in without a captcha, in the same browser. I suspect this has to do with firefox and privacy, but I'm not sure. From what I've seen so far, prior to today, I am successful with picture captcha about 50% of the time. I'm batting a zero with the word captcha.