⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Captcha on Login

kamikatze13

Seriously!

Now that we go for 2FA, can we get rid of this farcical and disfunctional craptcha thing?

I need less than half a minute to authenticate myself to online financial institutes - and they use neither crap nor google.

Not so anymore on a random modding site ...

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the most difficult captcha, Ive ever had to use. Never failed a captcha 10+ times, every. single. time. I try to login, before now.

Quick edit: Ive also managed to fail the captcha, without any sort of captcha. Just the check box. Doesnt seem right. If there are as many people complaining about this as there appears to be, maybe take a second look at it? I dont have direct knowledge of site maintenance, or contracting, but I do have some decent knowledge on PR, consumerism, supply/demand, etc. Seems the common denominator is more the captcha, not what people use to login.

Keep in mind: not everyone is going to follow the exact process you all (mainly the higher tier premium members, long time modders, etc) use to login, or use the internet. You actually cant demand they do so, or just "suck it up and dont come here" if they dont want to. Not actually how business works. You want traffic. Not quite sure why long term users would want to force people out of here. Seems counterproductive. Finding the least demanding, least invasive, means for authentication during the login process requires work, not just looking through a few options and going with whatever.

This isnt the military. "Suck it up, this is how things are," doesnt actually fly.

I have no problem with the need for captcha, or something similar. I get it. I use CCleaner to wipe my stuff whenever I close the window. I have to login every time (not a problem). The captcha used is fundamentally wrong. It does not work for enough people, for it to be used here. Simple as that.

Even more edits:

So this time, I had to redo the captcha 28 times. Here are some of my favorites that were, it would seem, incorrect:

http://forcedfable.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/really.png

http://forcedfable.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/really2.png

http://forcedfable.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/really3.png
http://forcedfable.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/really4.png
http://forcedfable.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/really5.png

http://forcedfable.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/really6.png
http://forcedfable.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/really7.png

Edited by amullinix

The captcha isn't working correctly. No matter how many times I type in the word or use the audio version it is always a fail. It is frustrating especially since I paid for premium membership. I understand the need for it but it would be nice if I could actually sign in.

Sincerely,

debralou2002

the new text CAPTCHA doesn't work. I have entered the requested text and wind up in an endless loop of requests. It must have hidden characters (in the image) I can't even see. I'm going to try a few more times....but locking out everyone to keep out the robots, while effective, is not a good plan.

Dark0ne, on 09 Jul 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

The Google captcha works off Google's database. If your IP changes regularly and you clear your cookies at the end of your browsing session, or you use a VPN and you clear all cookies at the end of a browsing session, Google isn't going to have any information on you and you'll be asked to do a Captcha challenge each time you login to the site. If you don't like the idea of Google having any information at all on you (even anonymised, as it is) then you have two options: do the captcha each time you login, or completely block Google Captcha on your system and you will be presented with a different Captcha option entirely. The backup captcha will show on every login, whereas Google's Invisible reCaptcha system will check their database to see if you're legit which means that 95% of users on the site will never see a captcha screen at all.

The Nexus login cookie has a very long expiration time on it so that, once you're successfully logged in, you should remain logged in for a long time and ergo not have to (potentially) do the captcha again for a long time either. However, if you delete the Nexus cookie each time you close your browser, or clear all your cookies manually from time to time, then you'll be logged out. Cookies are used to keep you logged in to sites across multiple visits and across a wide range of time. If you delete them, that's your prerogative, but the consequence is that you will likely have to do the login captcha again.

After this explanation (afaik that's the owner of this website?) I thought it would be enough to assure that the Nexus cookie will be never deleted by me. I do not change my IP or use a VPN. I do not block Google. I am not running any background third party programs except antivirus software (Malwarebytes on Windows 7, Built in Windows Defender on Windows 10).

My preferred browser has been Opera. I disabled the one used extension (uBlock Origin).

The settings for cookies have been "Allow local data to be set (recommended)". All other settings in options are as by Opera recommended. In Options-> Privacy-> Manage exceptions I saved [*.]nexusmods.com (that's the writing Opera needs to allow all from Nexus Mods). I even deinstalled Opera (made a backup before) and installed Opera new with the default installation settings. The result stays the same: I have to do the Google captcha for each login. If I am lucky only once. In most cases it is more than once. The only things that has to be done only once: The Authentification Code. That is not asked for in following logins and proves that Nexus cookie(s) must have been saved.

But perhaps Opera as browser has not been tested by the Nexus mods staff before introducing the new login system? I did a short time ago a little bit testing for myself.

Used PC for testing:

Standalone PC not connected to other PCs. OS Windows 10. Installed Browsers Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge (default settings installed with installation of Windows 10). Mozilla Firefox and Opera (deinstalled old versions. Installed new versions with default settings). Before starting a browser to be tested I made sure that it is handled as standard webbrowser by Windows 10.

Results (the same I experience on my regular used Windows 10 PC and a Windows 7 PC at work):

Internet Explorer/ Opera: 2FA has to be done only once (as intended). Google captcha has to be done for each login (that is not to be expected if I unterstand the post of Dark0ne correctly).

Microsoft Edge: 2FA is needed for each login. Google captcha has to be done for each login. I am for sure not ever using Edge for Nexus login.

Mozilla Firefox: The only browser that is working on my side as intended (?) by Nexusmods. I have to solve the Google captcha at first login (may need several tries to satisfy (?) Google) and use the 2FA once. Following logins with Mozilla Firefox on Nexus need only username/ password.

For me only Mozilla Firefox works as intended (my assumption) by Nexus mods. Did Nexus test browsers before installing the new login system? For Opera, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge I cannot belive that (Users of Opera may be small in numbers but Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge are delivered preinstalled with Microsofts Windows).

I may be premium user but I do not see this status as "being entitled to premium service" (in my understanding I got the right to access special servers for faster download of mods- in the past. At present all servers are fast enough afaik). As user I like to be informed of important changes in advance (and changes to login procedure are important I believe). I am very sure that I dislike to be "misused as testing subject" for changes. Neither captcha procedure nor 2FA seem to work with all browsers (four tested by me. I will not test others) as announced.

My understanding of "userfriendly" seems to differ from the definition the Nexus site apparently has. But I am on the bright lucky side of Nexus life because I am not a modder who needs to upload files and master the login. And as said in a matter of sense in one of my recent posts in this thread: "To prove not to be a robot for Nexus may be more difficult than to prove Einsteins theory of relativity" ;-)

It would be nice if the staff would tell would tell users as public information which browsers are seen as working with Google captcha and 2FA as by Nexus intended. I would appreciate that (so far it is only Firefox on my side on all tested PCs).

PS: If I unterstand amullinix post correctly he has done the solution for the alternative non google captchas as in his spoiler shown (even with my restricted eyesight I would have chosen the same) and got failure as result?^^

Ha ha ha ha ha!

With VPN turned on, total Capture failure, time after time, doesn't even get to the stupid roads/signs/buses crap.

VPN turned off, a recapture, 2 minute delay... sign in.... 'recapture failure' notification.... another 2 minute delay.... annnnnnnda

Kapow! 35 minutes after initially attempting to get into Nexus for the first time in a month since I posted negatively on this thread.

Wow Dark One.. you've done such an amazing job on fixing this PoS... (that's sarcasm for the under-performing).

So to get here, I've had to give up on my VPN and Internet privacy, or as some 'Hey let's all compromise guys' poster above said: its us privacy firsters problem because we don't do Half Privacy. Thats a bit like half 'vacuum proof' for space suits I guess...

Well for any data miner out there, (OOOO ITS only a little wittle nexus cookie, and Dark One SAYS it'll be all lovely forever...) who's benefiting, here some news now the VPN's down,

Nexus shortcut deleted, account dead. Fallout games uninstalled. Vast number of less annoying options referred to instead.

VPN ON

Adblock ON

Cookies denied

PRIVACY ON

Data mining anomaly...

discontinued.

Honestly, the more I read in this thread the more of a mistake this whole captcha business appears to be.

And I've never seen more people in one place so eager to complain about a scenario they've inflicted on themselves willingly in my life.

Issue goes both ways you know.

And I've never seen more people in one place so eager to complain about a scenario they've inflicted on themselves willingly in my life.

I must object- I did not do anything contributing to this scenario willingly or with my knowledge. I do not have or had "ridiculous aggressive" privacy settings. But I have to admit that complaining in this thread will not be helpful for anybody including myself. The owner of this website may change the conditions for login as he deems necessary. I have the choice to cope with the changes or forego a login. In solving login problems with the new system I am on my own. Failures are caused by my insufficient knowledge and/ or by the bug beetween my ears.

I should not longer take other users/ Nexus staff time and use my time with my postings that seem without any relevance ;-)