ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Should I get it for pc or console? help

sergiovi

Hey guys, so I was thinking about getting Skyrim, I've played Oblivion and Fallout 3, I think both games were pretty awesome, because of the sand boxing style and mods that are out there. Now, here is the thing, my laptop is getting, you know a little bit weak for these games, barely runs bc2 on the lowest resolution, at 20 fps or 25 fps (depending on the maps), on low eye candy. I was wondering if I should get Skyrim for my laptop or my ps3, I'm the kind of player who is like 50% graphics and 50 gameplay, anyways, I can't decide between the eye candy things on the ps3 or modding stuff for pc. By the way, here is my laptop's build:

-CPU: intel core 2 duo t6500 2.1 ghz

-RAM 4.1gb

-Windows 7 64bit

-GeForce 9600M GT with 512mb dedicated video ram

I'd like a clear point of view, console for graphics or pc for modding in exchange of graphics.

Thank you.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got Skyrim on PC and Xbox, (*not* Playstation yet, unfortunately!) The graphics on the PC are perfectly clear. The graphics on the Xbox are rubbish. You can't even read the text on the Xbox, especially in the upper left corner.

Aside from that you can have *MODS* on the PC! Mods! Wo! You can't have mods on the Playstation or the Xbox. You need mods to change the game to the way you enjoy most! Mods rule!

Mind you, Skyrim is a great game on the Xbox, even though it's vanilla. And on the Xbox there is the really big advantage of not having to put up with Steam! Steam sucks! Bigtime!

I think it's worth upgrading your computer, just for Skyrim! I did. Becos mods rule!

(P.S. The only reason I'm considering a Playstation 3 is because I've got a PS Vita for my birthday and they link together and do wonderful things together.)

An after-thought: On Steam you can still buy Morrowind. Which is pretty cool!

Edited by groupoffriends

At least to me the choice is clear with a game like this. I wouldn't even bother playing FO3 or Skyrim on a console. If replayability is an issue at all to you, go with the PC. In vanilla form Skyrim is buggy but all is fixable with mods and/or console commands. There are tons of cool mods to make the experience better and as time goes by there will only be more and more.

The Elder Scrolls has always been a PC series; nobody should ever consider picking it up on console. Heck, they should not release it on console!

I bought it on console first, and then swapped to PC. If they hadn't released it on console, I'd have never been introduced to TES. And it hasn't always been a PC Series, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim were on Xbox and PlayStation. There's a loyal fan base on those platforms who would be looking to give you a black eye right about now...

On topic, and @ OP, I would recommend picking it up on PC normally, but given your specs, a safer bet is to get it on console. You may be without mods, but at least it keeps you honest. When I played on console, I got to level 40 legitimately, without power levelling, but on PC, the number of times I've said 'eff it, I'm spawning this thing' is unbelievable!

Out of the box and without patches, Skyrim is one of the buggiest games that has ever been released for public consumption as a "finished" product. On either the PC or a console you'll get periodic patches from Bethesda to fix some of these bugs, but some of the patches have actually caused more problems than they've fixed. Eventually Bethesda will get it all sorted out. In this sense, it doesn't matter whether you choose a PC or a console. If you're not interested in modding your game, then the convenience of a console, plus the fact that Skyrim was created for consoles and very poorly ported over to the PC (very sloppy and glitchy user interface), may make the console a better choice.

As as been mentioned, though, mods are what makes ES games re-playable. Indeed, for some people mods are what makes Skyrim playable at all. Something we discovered with Oblivion (perhaps with Morrowind, although I've never played it so I don't know), is that the "Unofficial Patch" people actually wind up fixing more bugs than Bethesda does. After awhile, Bethesda simply quits fixing bugs in the game. The Unofficial Patch for Skyrim will see periodic updates long after Bethesda has decided to quit supporting the game by releasing bug fixes. For this reason, alone, I think you should go with the PC.

Console for graphics or PC for modding: I don't see the issue, here. The graphics on the PC is better than that for the console. At least I think that's the general perspective. On the PC you can tweak a lot of stuff that you can't touch with the console, to my knowledge. So this is a non-issue. Since the graphics isn't any better on the console, and if that's your only concern, then your logical choice, again, is the PC.

If you can run Fallout 3/NV then you should be able to run Skyrim well as it is better optimized, Im running on 6 year old Pentium 4 PC on high textures and a good enough resolution, i might not get a steady framerate unlike the consoles (and its still crap anyway) but the countless mods i can install makes up for it! ;)

The PC's main problem is Steam, and that plays a huge part in the PC. Mods aren't at all a must to enjoy Skyrim, PS3 version is infinite (always something to do) unlike the xbox which ends after a while. Either PC or PS3, depending on the money you want to spend on upgrading your PC.

To say it shouldn't be released on console is complete selfishness and lack of knowlage. If not for consoles, there would be no Skyrim. Beth wouldn't have any money. Sorry, but when someone says Skyrim shouldn't be for consoles, I just laugh to the fact they don't know anything about Beth.

Edited by SubjectProphet