Nvidia kernel driver CTD

Lambar

Hi fellow ES travellers,

I've been having a problem with Oblivion and Skyrim for months that has almost made me give up playing them. However after lots of research and persistance I believe I've found a fix for this annoying problem that's not a Bethseda problem.

I used to get a black screen, sometimes white that, that for the 1st few times, recovers. Then I get the CTD with an error message saying "nvidia kernel driver has stopped responding blah, blah and has recovered."

Here's the solution (which is also safe. No changing BIOS or anything drastic). I sincerely hope that it fixed the issue for you as it was driving me crazy and now I haven't had any CTD since doing this.

NVIDIA is aware that some GeForce customers have reported Windows TDRs (timeout detection and recovery) while browsing the web with Release 280 and later drivers. NVIDIA is actively working with customers to address this issue. In the few cases where NVIDIA has been able to reproduce this issue (both on-site and working directly with customers), a complete manual uninstall of the driver and subsequent clean installation of the latest Release 290 drivers using the exact directions below has fixed the issue. We will actively pursue any issues experienced by customers after following the clean installation steps below.

NVIDIA Display Driver Clean Installation Steps:

1) Click on the Windows Start Button.

2) Select Control Panel.

3) Select Uninstall a program under Programs or select Programs and Features depending on the control panel view.

4) Double-click on NVIDIA Graphics Driver in the program list and follow the uninstall instructions. Click Restart Now when prompted.

5) After restart, if you have any remaining display drivers stored in your Windows directory, Windows may start to install a different graphics driver. If so, allow it to install the driver and then restart again when prompted.

6) Repeat steps 1 through 5 until the NVIDIA Graphics Driver version is 275.XX or earlier OR until there is no NVIDIA Graphics Driver reported under Programs. N.B. Don't worry about this, just keep un-installing the nvidia drivers until none are present )your screen resoltiion will change).

7) Download the GeForce driver for you from Nvisdia: N.B. Ensure that you get the correct driver for you (Suggest that you let the Nvidia site select your driver for you (it will scan your system and select the correct driver for you). I had a problem half way through the process as I'd downloaded and tried to install the wrong driver, an international driver rather than the one for the UK.

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

8) Although not required, you should probaly disable any system monitoring tools or anti-virus software running in the background as they may sometimes prevent driver files or registry keys from being written correctly during the installation process. After a driver installation has completed, you can re-enable your system monitoring or anti-virus software. To begin the driver installation process, Right-click on the NVIDIA display driver package and select "Run as administrator".

9) Continue to the Install Options page. Select Custom install.

10) On the Custom install page, select the checkbox for Perform clean install. Click next.

11) During the clean installation the driver, follow any requests to restart your PC.

12) After the installation is complete, restart your PC one final time.

Note: These steps are only recommended for this issue and are not required for standard driver updates.

I'd be grateful to know whether this solves your problems as this should work on any game that's been having the 'nvidia kernel driver stoppped responding and recovered' problem.

Please PM me as well as leaving commens on this new forum. I may answer Q's if people need more help,

Also, if it does work for you like it has for me, then please spread the word as this will be the only post on the web that I'll make. I know that there's an old post about this problem on here somewhere but couldn't find it. Could someone pls post this message into mthat post if it works for you.

If you look at a google re this problem it's happening all over, not just with the ES series but with other games and even videos.

Love and Peace

Lambar

P.S. Please stop blaming Bethseda as they've got nothing to do with the CTD............. this time :-)

First I'd ever heard of the 'Clean install' checkbox. I'll be sure to refer back to this post in the future, thanks for the info.