Unsuccessful installing mods manually

mrgoboy

Not having much luck getting the first two mods I've tried to work namely Immersive Settlers and Settlement Management Software.

I've done some reading and I followed the method described in the following video:

To C:\Users\XXX\Documents\My Games\Fallout4fallout4prefs.ini I've added/changed:

[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1

To C:\Users\XXX\Documents\My Games\Fallout\fallout4.ini I replaced:

sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\

with

sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\

For Immersive Settlers I dragged the Scripts folder out of the downloaded zip file and placed it here (Data folder):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\

For Settlement Management Software I dragged the SettlementManagementSoftware-3 folder out of the downloaded zip file and placed it in the same location (Data folder)

I fire up the game and nothing. No holotapes, nothing seems different so I've obviously screwed something up. If anyone has any idea or suggestions I'd be most grateful.

Thank you!

Edited by mrgoboy

There shouldn't be anything after sResourceDataDirsFinal=

You also should add the line bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 under [Archive] in the Fallout4.ini as very first entry.

Have a look at Nexus Mod Manager for easy install of mods.

Ok in the Fallout4.ini I changed...

sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\

to

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

I also added to the Fallout4.ini

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

Doesn't seem to have made any difference but really appreciate your reply. Thank you very much.

To manually install mods, you need to unpack the content of the zipped files and drag everything into the game's Data folder, except when the unzipped content is already in a folder called Data. Then you need to go into the unzipped Data folder and drag the content into the game's Data folder and let everything overwrite.

For larger mods with lots of content, this can become an issue when wanting to uninstall the mod and you don't really know what exactly has been added. That's why it's so much easier to download and install mods through a mod manager because a mod manager like NMM automatically restores the vanilla files or the files of an earlier mod when you've overwritten those files with the addition of a new mod.

Mods that just contain a plugin (esm, esp or esl) aren't a problem to install manually as it's just the one file that needs to be added into the game's Data folder.

Yes sir I dragged the folders out of the archive and moved them into the data folder. What's really goofy is that I'm a VB programmer and SQL dba by trade and I can't get this to work. Maybe I should change my career and buy a hotdog cart.