A Question About Textures

meatbag58

I have made all kinds of objects using Blender 2.49b and the nif tools that come with it (plus a newer version of NifSkope). I have made statics, clutter objects, weapons, creatures, all kinds of stuff, and (once I figured out how to do it properly) I have never had an issue with any of my nifs not working.

I haven't checked, but I'll take your word for it that the nif tools are putting out a slightly different version nif. But those nifs work fine with FO3 and FNV, with only two exceptions that I can think of off the top of my head. One is that hats and helmets get rotated by 90 degrees between FO3 and FNV, but that's because they changed the way those work between the two games (Why, I dunno....). The second problem is that if you import hairs and export them again, they get all screwed up. Apparently this is because Blender doesn't preserve the polygon sorting, or something along those lines. I found a post explaining it. If there is a way to edit hairs that have layered polygons and not have it end up completely borked, I haven't found it yet.

There are some other issues, like the fact that I have never been able to get Blender to properly export the shader flags when working with bodies/clothing/creature skins. No biggie. Just fix them in NifSkope.

But the nifs always work.

Chasing down the differences between 20,0.0.5 and 20.2.0.7 isn't your problem. You are wasting your time going down that path. Get the export options right and the weapon will work. It's been a while since I've done a weapon, but I don't think I even needed to fix anything in NifSkope after the export. I'm pretty sure the weapon just worked right out of Blender.

I'd say give me your file, but weapons are one of the only things I've never done for this game. Still, I'll see what happens when I export. You can save it as a .blend if you want. I'd want it before the export process, so uploading your current, modified NIF is grand, but you should upload more than just that. Even the original weapon if you like. Removing the stock is as easy as selecting all its contiguous parts I imagine. I'm working on someone else's thing right now, so I mayn't get to this immediately. But someone else may feel inclined.

I've been testing what you said and It's worked like a charm. I don't know why I didn't realize any of this earlier.

Again, I want to thank everyone here for their assistance. I never expected it. Best of all, I now have a greater understanding of how to edit meshes and nifs. Again, thank you all so much, this means a lot to me.

I now have a greater understanding of how to edit meshes and nifs

Heartfelt thanks is really appreciated, but this here is a major reason why I feel compelled to help out new modders. Knowing that someone is better equipped to move forwards is worth a lot to me.

like the fact that I have never been able to get Blender to properly export the shader flags when working with bodies/clothing/creature skins. No biggie. Just fix them in NifSkope.

You can´t do that.

but it would be nice if there was a way.