Paarthurnax, The Greybeards and The Blades

JimS61

Many people have questioned why The Greybeards don't get involved with fighting dragons and the answer is very simple.

"That's not their destiny or their job". Their's is to mediate & commun with the Devines & to teach and HELP guide new Dragonborns when they come into the world.

It takes more than shouts to kill a dragon, it also requires weapons. Can you imagine old men like them with no training trying to weild swords & other weapons against a dragon? They'd be dead in the blink of an eye.

Then who would teach & guide new Dragonborns? Delphine and Esbren or people like them? I think not. All they could teach is hatred & blind obedeance to themselves as the new masters of The Blades.

Delphine never even saw a dragon until she helped you at Kynesgrove. All she knows are writings, legends & myths but no experience so she's lumped them all in one pot. Evil - must die.

Esbern has been hiding in terror of them for 30 years, afraid of their return so he's super paranoid of them. But it turns out they didn't have to return. One has been here all along, Paathurnax, and he's harmed NO ONE.

If Paarthurnax was going to do some thing he'd have done it by now. Instead all he's done for century's is mediate, commun with the Devines & work with the Greybeards.

Delphine's problem is simple hatred & prejudice & nothing more and she also knows nothing about the Greybeards. She said they were afraid of you. Not so.

If they were they wouldn't have trained and made you welcome to return any time you wanted.

She also said the Greybeards wanted you to waste your gift by sitting in their retreat all of your life just mediating with them & this is also wrong.

They said they could train & guide you but then you must go out into the world and find & fullfill your destiny on your own. They never tried to control me like Delphine did.

With Esbern it's his paranoia at work and his life-long friendship with Delphine that's the problem. He lets her make the decissions then simply agrees with her.

If he hadn't been living in such terror for so long, he would probably be able to think more clearly, make his own decissions and might agee with you that Paarthurnax is an asset & not a problem.

They asked once:- "What happens if he turns on us like he turned on Alduin"?

Simple. We'll cross that bridge IF & when we come to it & not before.

Plus, the Dragonborn Temple (hideout) is supposed to be the Dragonborn's home & Delphine & Esbern are just guests there to serve & follow. Where do they get off throwing you out of your own home?

As far as I'm concerned, they cut their own throats. They were hiding from the Thalmore and now they're now still just a hate filled woman warrior & an addel-brained old man who are now out in the open with no Dragonborn to help defend them. So they're still in the same boat but now they're also in plain sight to the Thalmore.

Thus why I have the 'PaarthurnaxChoicePlus3' Mod, so I can tell Delphine exactly where to get off....I could not stand her from the get go with her "I would have killed you if I didn't like the look of you" and demanding the Dovahkin prove himself to her....the worst part being you have to bend to her to progress the main quest....I am hoping one day a mod will arrive in which we are able to circumvent this b*tch altogether and still be able to do the main quest....or better still, be able to take her up on her challenge of "I would have killed you....." dispatch her and continue the main quest....As for Paarthurnax, yep...Paarthrunax FTW!.... :happy:

Perraine, there are very few quests which I think Bethesda did "right" with this game. Most of them are pretty lackluster. Some are downright pathetic. However, I agree with you. Giving the Dovahkiin the need to choose between Parth and the Blades was well-done. It's one of the very few actual "role-playing" scenarios in this entire game, where the player is forced to consider the pros and cons of an ethical/moral dilemma. And, the decision has actual in-game consequences, which is also not something that is present in most other quests.

My hat's off to the one good writer they have on their quest-development staff. I just wish they'd pay him/her more and get this person to write all the future questlines of the ES games.

Perraine, there are very few quests which I think Bethesda did "right" with this game. Most of them are pretty lackluster. Some are downright pathetic. However, I agree with you. Giving the Dovahkiin the need to choose between Parth and the Blades was well-done. It's one of the very few actual "role-playing" scenarios in this entire game, where the player is forced to consider the pros and cons of an ethical/moral dilemma. And, the decision has actual in-game consequences, which is also not something that is present in most other quests.

My hat's off to the one good writer they have on their quest-development staff. I just wish they'd pay him/her more and get this person to write all the future questlines of the ES games.

I do think the writer should have given the player the opportunity to tell the Blades where to get off though, I would have been very happy with that and losing the Blades support completely rather than an undone nagging quest...A real choice, not just left as uncompleted.

Consequences? Lol.

Two things I cannot bring myself to do in Skyrim; join the Imperials and Kill Paarthurnax.

Consequences? Lol.

Absolutely, consequences:

• Kill Parth: Lose him as a teacher and gain the support of the Blades.
  • Don't Kill Parth: Keep him as a teacher and lose the support of the Blades.

I think that's pretty straightforward, yes? Now, some people might not think that the benefits of having Parth alive outweigh the benefits of having the support of the Blades. I don't use followers in this game, so the pragmatic decision for me, as Player (not necessarily for me as Character) is to tell the Blades to get off the train (preferably while it's still moving).