Win64 DLC issue

Lummina

Hello, and thank you for reading this post and hopefully helping.

I am re-installing Oblivion on a new computer. Haven't played for a while but am getting up to speed (abet slowly) with installing mods, tweaks, and such. I purchased the DLC package 3 or 4 years ago, put them on disc with keys. Decided I wanted to include "Spell Tomes" in the mix but I get a string error on install. Is there a way to work around this?

Thank you.

Hi,

If I understand this correct you burnt a CD with the DLC to keep it safe a couple of years ago?

In that case trying to read it with a new or different CD/DVD reader might give read errors. Also the CD might have been damaged or degraded over time (not impossible at all regardless that people think anything burnt on a CD/DVD is safe for eternity).

I suggest if possible to read it back with the drive that burnt the CD or with a different CD/DVD reader and put the stuff on a USB memory stick and retry the install with the stick instead.

This might do the trick for you :thumbsup:

Make sure you aren't running into issues with User Account Control (UAC). If you new machine is running Windows 7 and you have installed the game in the default C:\Program Files (x86) then that is a possibility. Here's a link to Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure to help get it re-installed somewhere like C:\Games. If you use the Steam version of the game don't miss the link near the top of the page about moving your Steam install location, and don't skip the registry cleaning step ... it's important.

Something else to consider is, the installers on the downloaded versions of the DLC..... (snicker) are not compatible with 64 bit operating systems. Which almost all PC's are getting these days. You can download Universal Extractor, and use that to open the installers, and pull out the files you need. (most times, it's just an esp, and a bsa or two.)

Hello all,

Thank each of you for your thoughts and advice. I can see this topic helping out a variety of other new Win7/64bit folks.

Striker, since I installed my game in its own C:\Games folder I do not have admin issues but for those who don't know, this will be very helpful.

Nimboss, I didn't realize that CD's could degrade so quickly. Huh. Using the older computer that I used to burn the disc is not an option. It is already being used in a pre-k school for "play". http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif Thank you for the information however.

HeyYou. I have downloaded and installed the Universal Extractor. (Can I really extract the entire Universe with this little guy? Does Hawking know about this? http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/biggrin.gif) I believe I should be sending the files to my O data file folder, yes? Since I've had a few hiccups in the past I like to double check my directions. Thank you. I believe this might be my answer.

Best to all,

Lummina

Not meaning to speak for HeyYou on this (how have you been doing Hey?) but I always like to download/extract etc. to a temporary folder first. That gives me the chance to check for file overwrites before committing to my Oblivion install. When you complete the install by copying from your temporary folder you can either keep the 'temporary' folder (which would make it sort of non-temporary) or delete if you need the hard drive space.

Not meaning to speak for HeyYou on this (how have you been doing Hey?) but I always like to download/extract etc. to a temporary folder first. That gives me the chance to check for file overwrites before committing to my Oblivion install. When you complete the install by copying from your temporary folder you can either keep the 'temporary' folder (which would make it sort of non-temporary) or delete if you need the hard drive space.

That's definitely an option, and in most cases, a good idea.... for the dlc though, shouldn't be an issue. They don't overwrite anything. :D

Hi!! Been doing halfway decent at least, hope life is treatin' ya good as well. :teehee:

Edited by HeyYou

Hi guys,

So this is what I did:

Since running off the actual disc or a copy from the desktop isn't viable (because of the string/Win64 errors--whatever they are *shrug*--) I went the Universal Extractor route choosing the isxunpack extraction option. Beth "says" they are an InstallShield extraction but the InstallShiel/b option of UE doesn't work with it.) I extracted everything I wanted in the O Data folder and they do show up in the folder and in OBMM---but they are labeled "patches". Does that make sense to you? The file size of say, Spell Tomes is 389kb which I think would be an acceptable size... So I guess what I'm asking is, do you think the patches are the actual program?

And yes, I could go off and play to find out but I haven't even really created a character yet--still getting mods in place and only running short term test dummies. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/biggrin.gif

Thanks.