OBSE and Attacking

SoulReaver911

So what you're saying is that OBSE can't interfere with anything unless a mod is using it.

So what's causing this bug when I play Oblivion using the OBSE launcher? It's can't be my cpu lacking, it's doesn't really get used nearly as much as it could be.

You can look at OBSE this way: it seats in the engine instruction flow and intercepts the next to be executed. If that instruction pertains to it the instruction is executed by OBSE, else it doesn't care about and returns the control to the engine to do what it can with the instruction.

The other scenery is OBSE absent and one of its instructions strikes the engine. Since the engine doesn't recognize it the game just crashes.

To understand how OBSE works one need know the engine uses a small range of dedicated hexadecimal numbers as instruction codes and Bethesda reserved another small range to game expansions... the gross of the range is free to use. The OBSE team have a non wrote control of this range, so anyone willing to create plugins for OBSE receives a fair subrange that doesn't overlaps among themselves. Those instructions are hexadecimal codes and mustn't be confused with the source code that generate then.

In a very gross example we can think in one byte. It have 256 values ranging from 00 to FF hex meaning 0 to 255 decimal. Now the engine uses the values 0 to 1F for it's instructions. All the engine knows is in this byte subrange (in this example), all the other values are free to use. So all codes beginning with 20 until FF can be used by utilities like OBSE, hence the name Script extender.

Is easy to see that if something above 1F (yet in the example) reaches the engine it can't deal with it and so... crashes. Aside, OBSE have nothing to do with the engine range and so it pass the control to it if something between 00 and 1F arrives. There is more than this simple example, but the basic mechanism is as described.

Even the mod that use OBSE functions can use vanilla functions too, obviously, and OBSE will intercept any and each instruction in the flow, ignoring if the mod (and even the vanilla game) that issued it is an OBSE mod or whatever. Indeed there is nothing as OBSE mod, what exist is mod that uses OBSE functions, that only OBSE can handle.

That's all well and good, and an enlightening description, but this doesn't relieve me of the attack problem.

Well, you have so many mods that are much more performance demanding than OBSE, you are at the limit so much the mere presence of OBSE is enough to trigger an issue. OBSE isn't the direct cause of the issue, this is being stressed since the first reply.

This problem of yours is a performance one, any thing you does to relieve the load will help. I stressed OBSE introduce overhead since it intercepts each and any instruction in the flow. Normally that overhead is negligible, but in that stress situation is enough, just it.

You seek solution that was suggested many times in this thread: do anything to relieve the lag... even uninstalling OBSE if needed.

I quit now.

That's all well and good, and an enlightening description, but this doesn't relieve me of the attack problem.

Have you just tried making a new mod, which changes that game setting? Changing it to .6 would probably be enough to prevent most of it. Your visual framrate may be unchanged, but your processing framerate might be lagging.

Archived