First day in Minecraft, in a nutshell

FPSxploit

Funny... I remember mine involving a day of just using wood tools, and ending up in a dark 5x5 house made with dirt, sand, and gravel. Shivering, cold, alone, listening to the sounds of countless monsters splashing around outside (house made on a small man-made island just off the beach). Ah... the days before coal was easy to find, and before there were hundreds of tutorials and such to tell you that you can make stone tools.

I really do need to give this a try one of these days. Terraria was quite an addictive game and I heard this is more in depth than that.

I really do need to give this a try one of these days. Terraria was quite an addictive game and I heard this is more in depth than that.

The best way to describe them is that

Terreria is an action side-scrolling platform game with building and crafting elements.

Minecraft is a free-form building and exploring game with some action and platforming elements.

I know I've played Minecraft more over the years than most games, but I'm at the point where I'm almost having to mod the hell out of it or approach it from a new premise to find the fun. Doesn't mean that I don't still end up spending hours and hours just building things, gathering resources, and such.

ive very much enjoyed minecraft. well worth the money. ive spent hours just mining and building my house and farming my gardens. plus Creative mode is fun. build the houses and stuff you never could in survival :P

It's a fun game, and on a big server it can play a lot like a very deep MMO, as far as construction goes.

The dungeons are random, along with the rest of the landscape btw.

Be aware however, Minecraft isn't actually very easy to run. People think that just because the game is so blocky it should have low system requirements, but that's usually not the case. It draws landscape from a long distance away, even far below you as well as in 360 degrees around you. In addition, the newer lighting effects are nothing to scoff at, and there really are a lot of polygons at once. I get about the same performance as I do in Skyrim with both games on ultra.

On the bright side, Minecraft's minimum settings have very low distances and minimal lighting effects, so just about anyone can run it on some capacity. It's certainly a great game. Sometimes I just enter random words into the random seed generator and see if I spawn in a crazy world with canyons and strange geographic formations. There's a lot of depth hidden behind the simple tools as well. Some people literally make functioning cities in servers. A few servers are faction based wars, where people think up inventive new tactics to take down the other nation. Tunneling under the nigh-unbreakable obsidian wall seems like a good choice, until the other nation diverts their river into your secret tunnel. The possibilities are pretty much endless. The leet warring servers even build dynamite cannons. Sadly, many of the more organized servers have entry restrictions to keep the casual herd away, and it makes it tough to get into a really good server for new players.

My first day in Minecraft went like this:

1. Run around for a while looking at all the grassy hills and mysterious caves.

2. Go into a cave, where I hear snarling and growling suddenly. In a panic I flee from the creepers in almost total darkness, because I didn't know to make torches.

3. Emerge outside and start building the outer wall of what will eventually be a great fortress.

4. Realize as the sun sets that I don't have enough of a wall to make a shelter.

5. As the sun dies, I frantically tear apart my wall for resources and start building a box to hide inside.

6. Realize that my box won't be finished in time, because I already hear the creepers, spiders, and skeletons advancing towards me.

7. Evade skeleton arrows, dig a hole and bury myself.

8. Wait until morning.

Edited by Rennn

plus Creative mode is fun. build the houses and stuff you never could in survival :P

Mods help remedy this. Higher forms of automation, conversion of materials, better storage, new places to explore and interact with. Adds tons of hours to the play time.

And when you're bored of that, there are challenge and adventure maps to play with.

Yeah, I pretty much left Minecraft after the changes to Survival back in the days of 1.8. I liked living in a cave/hole/burrow for a while, gathering resources until I got enough to build a house or tower, giving that sense of accomplishment. After the changes, Survival - and the game - didn't have much to offer me, as the original incentive was now gone. :(

plus Creative mode is fun. build the houses and stuff you never could in survival :P

Mods help remedy this. Higher forms of automation, conversion of materials, better storage, new places to explore and interact with. Adds tons of hours to the play time.

And when you're bored of that, there are challenge and adventure maps to play with.

meh, i dont play it enough to add mods like that. i enjoy the game just how it is. only thing id ever do is texture stuff, but idk if my laptop could handle texture stuff, so maybe when i get my PC ill try it. but as for changing the game, as i said, im content with how it is now. i only play a few hours here and there anyways.

Yeah, I pretty much left Minecraft after the changes to Survival back in the days of 1.8. I liked living in a cave/hole/burrow for a while, gathering resources until I got enough to build a house or tower, giving that sense of accomplishment. After the changes, Survival - and the game - didn't have much to offer me, as the original incentive was now gone. :(

Play one of Vech's super hostile maps... You'll get that sense of accomplishment back, and probably brush up on your mob killing skills.

As far as the original sense of accomplishment goes, I'd say that it was less related to 1.8, and more related to the part of ravines and mine shafts everywhere giving you almost immediate access to deeper levels. That and iron and coal being much more common. The hunger system made the game better I think since you have to make a constant source of food much earlier (instead of just relying on random constantly spawning pigs), and recover health more slowly so you can't just load up on food and clear out hordes of mobs with stone weapons recovering any damage instantly. The experience and enchanting system could still use some work, but it gives inventive to killing mobs and trying to stay alive instead of clearing out hard areas just by running in, dropping torches, dying, rinse repeat until the area is clear.

Some mods can also add a sense of accomplishment by having new places to explore, difficult encounters, or things which require multiple stages of crafting, or a considerable amount of resources to create. And there's always redstone and similar machines.