new game mechanic: horse archery

CrazyShadowDami

what do you guys think? i have allways been a fan of horse archers, mostly slavic (as im Croatian) and mongolic, so i accidently came up to this idea

I think it's an overrated concept that would probably serve for some role playing aspects, but otherwise it would be mostly a wrapper. You can pretend all you want, but the human mind isn't meant to do two things at once and pay close attention to both, so that means you couldn't steer the horse AND move your player's body around, so you would essentially just be controlling both at the same time, meaning take away the graphics and it's the same as moving your character around on foot.

Like I said... it's a wrapper. It would be neat if you wanted to roleplay on horseback and probably pretty easy for a modder (albiet time consuming) if they could 3d Model well, but I don't know how much it would change or add to actual gameplay.

I never been much of a fan of any of the D.I.C.E. type mods, but then I don't use mods much in general. If it doesn't add hours of gameplay experience I'm not sure I'm interested. Like all these player homes, custom armors, etc.... they're nice and I can appreciate the amount of time spent, but they're also fluff. I'm going to look at them, check them out, and then go back to playing the same game. They don't add new substance. I would appreciate them much more if there was a major quest necessary to unlock them.

Edited by Stemin

Check out Mount & Blade if you want to see horse archery done right.

Sadly, the horse controls for Skyrim are one of the few features that feel distinctly console ported. It's just fricking impossible to steer these things.

If you want to create a horse archery mod, you'd first have to deal with the steering system for the horses, to make it even remotely possible to aim and steer at the same time.

If we wait a bit longer maybe bethesda releases their mounted combat feature shown in this video (
) maybe they will include archery.

^ Mounted combat was a initial idea, would make the game unbalanced and too Assassins Creedish but seeing as its a singleplayer game and it would be fun i don't see why this shouldn't be available!

If we wait a bit longer maybe bethesda releases their mounted combat feature shown in this video (

) maybe they will include archery.

Holy s*** i NEED that assassin's vision!

Except it would probably not get into the game because it looks like a rip off of eagle vision from assassin's creed...

Horse combat including archery is in the skyrim beta update right now! unfortunately it doesn't work right for me. there is no animation and my character stands on his horse with no animation. I can still shoot arrows. there is no first person mode for horse combat either. can anyone else check out the beta update 1.6 and test horse combat like me?