Oblivion races are way to week

blackninja50

Hell that idea of yours is actually pretty good... I know in the Vilja companion mod she keeps "temporary" bags of some sort, meaning her gear can be stored while she sleeps (she only has grey robes and gold plus a few minor things)... If that could be scripted into a droppable item that remembers what you stored in there (keeping the weight, but acting like a bag of holding sort of deal) with an animation (or similar) to drop it (so if you drop it combat you suffer a nasty penalty, not being able to block during the animation.... Then when combat is over you can go retrieve it.

And if you insist on holding onto it you would swing slower or for reduced damage....

I think it could be done. Have it done well? Depends on the modder I suppose haha.

Definately something to think about though!

Well it wouldn't have to really "be dropped"... It only needs to be a toggle, with something that makes you pause/delay while you are "dropping it" (like an animation). It could be scripted so you could have a second "bag" that you place you heavy unwanted items into, and when you activate the "drop" it removes the weight of those items, but you cannot access them at all until you "pick them up" (probably another animation, to prevent cheating in combat =p).

This means it would never physically touch the floor, meaning you couldn't lose it because of glitches (which sadly, oblivion and its many mods is prone to) while keeping the realistic feeling of dropping your gear and picking it up.

Looks interesting, I am surprised I never saw that before. Still has the issue of the wrong weights/carry limit, and possible falling through the ground when dropped, but otherwise looks like a giant leap towards what we have been discussing.

Quick question, would it just be easier to Skyrimize oblivions encumberance? Instead of being completely immobile when overencumbered you can still walk at half speed, and the more you add the more attribute penalties you get. (I would say -speed and agility, and a drop in all weapon skills). This means that at the normal carry wieght you would be fine, and going over would be possible (like in real life) but giving you great difficulty in moving around and fighting.

Still need an overhaul for armor/weapon weights, but there is probably a decent one floating around.

I thought I've read something like that somewhere ... perhaps it was one of kuertee's other mods.

I use a couple of kuertee's mods (Magicka-based enchantment limits and NPCs yield). I find his mods well documented and appreciate how they don't try to change the whole world ... just pick something that could use a little tweaking and do just that. Haven't picked up the inventory mod, but it does look interesting. Even though I always have one or two of Emma's pack donkeys with me I still tend to load down my guy with everything but the kitchen sink.