[LE] SSE to Oldrim

See I keep reading that, and it's not entirely right. The CK32 can detect and load up CK64 files just fine, and vice versa. Skyrim 32 can detect and load up games containing mods ported from Skyrim SE, with seemingly no issue. This is what I've tested. What is not tested though is SKSE64 plugins, but testing shouldn't be necessary to know that said plugins will not be compatible and besides unless they are NEW mods, they'll have their Oldrim counterparts.

Before you or anyone else dismiss this due to popular opinion, please test it yourself and then go beyond what I did. Try one of those big mods.

Let me add though that this DOES NOT mean this is a safe thing to do, for one does not know what is going on under hood from a plugin coming from different architecture. I'm only saying it CAN be done.

Edited by Rasikko

The issue that I see is that Skyrim SE does have some new Papyrus commands that can be added to scripts for Special Edition mods that won't work correctly on LE, so any mod using those would have to be rebuilt in the LE papyrus engine likely using SKSE commands as a workaround. Additionally because SE uses Form 44 as opposed to the LE Form 43, meshes are impractical (I won't say impossible, but its like requiring a little hammering to fit the square pegs into the circle holes so to speak) to transfer.

Out of curiosity what mod are you trying to downgrade if you don't mind me asking.

See I keep reading that, and it's not entirely right. The CK32 can detect and load up CK64 files just fine, and vice versa. Skyrim 32 can detect and load up games containing mods ported from Skyrim SE, with seemingly no issue. This is what I've tested. What is not tested though is SKSE64 plugins, but testing shouldn't be necessary to know that said plugins will not be compatible and besides unless they are NEW mods, they'll have their Oldrim counterparts.

Before you or anyone else dismiss this due to popular opinion, please test it yourself and then go beyond what I did. Try one of those big mods.

Let me add though that this DOES NOT mean this is a safe thing to do, for one does not know what is going on under hood from a plugin coming from different architecture. I'm only saying it CAN be done.

You seems to miss one thing about downgrading a mod from SSE to SLE and that's SSE uses 44 Form while SLE uses 43 Form and from what I understand 44 Form can only used with SSE.

There is also record changes for SSE and the last part here mentioned the record changes in SSE.

Out of curiosity what mod are you trying to downgrade if you don't mind me asking.

I am a big sttlement mod fan. I want sse talengard village from arthmoor and bordersee sttlemnt from duke.

i use oldgrim again because all mods i want are not on sse.

The issue that I see is that Skyrim SE does have some new Papyrus commands that can be added to scripts for Special Edition mods

Never heard of this. Can you give an example of a new function for SSE?

https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=ReferenceAlias_Script

https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Actor_Script

There's some more as well. You just have to use CreationKit.com's search function for Special edition to find some SE exclusives. I haven't had a chance to play with them all yet though, but they don't work on Legendary Edition.

Edited by SeraphimKensai

You seems to miss one thing about downgrading a mod from SSE to SLE and that's SSE uses 44 Form while SLE uses 43 Form and from what I understand 44 Form can only used with SSE.

Thats why you load 'n' save it from the LE CK it re-saves everything as Form 43.

There is also record changes for SSE and the last part here mentioned the record changes in SSE.

There is some stuff to be fixed up notably water records as LE doesn't have the extended flow data and meshes aren't typically backwards compatible thats probably the biggest issue. There is also BC7 texture formats at least those can be resaved easily. I havn't come across any SE script specific stuff (yet). Obviously some things are out of the question i.e. weather mods as volumetric lighting isn't a thing with LE and as a result the whole mod's lighting needs rebalancing... not worth it.

I want sse talengard village from arthmoor

I keep meaning to get around to that one his Rorikstead mod backported ok it needed a replacement mesh but I found one in a modders resource pack and npc's needed facegen generated, but otherwise it's working ok. (I also regenerated LOD with TESLodgen but thats not strictly necessary)

(N.B. before anyone starts throwing out dire warnings of death and destruction this is in all honesty a lab test to see what if anything breaks, long term it could cause issues as its impossible to know whats going on under the hood but in the short term it "just works". I guess I'll see what happens)

Edited by soupdragon1234

Thats why you load 'n' save it from the LE CK it re-saves everything as Form 43.

The potential problem here is that Form 44 has 3 new records and 4 changed records in its structure. CK32 has no knowledge of these so what exactly is it doing when it tries to make sense of them when converting. If it just ignores them then whether your esp works correctly depends on whether it uses these records. It is all trial and error.

See reddit thread here