New Character Missing Spells

Lummina

Hello,

It's been quite awhile since I have played through Oblivion. The past month or so I've been putting the game back together, re-learning Wrye, OBMM, installing mods, the whole cheese. I also have a new computer with a new OS (WIN 7) that has made things even more interesting. But with help it's been falling into place nicely. Or so I thought until I fired up my first "real" character (not a mod tester). And I seem to be missing something.

My female Dark Elf doesn't have any spell abilities at the get-go. I thought my last DE had 2 very weak starting spells--fire ball and minor healing. Mine has 5 scrolls each of minor fire/heal. This can't be right. And the thing that is really confusing is the mods I've installed are for all intent and purposes the same mods I ran the last time I played. Nothing funky, all mods are tried, tested, seem stable. No major overhauls like FCOM. Boss sees no conflicts. Wrye is green boxes and seems to be bashed without incident. OBMM is blue straight through.

I'd attach my mod list but I can't remember how to make that happen. As I say, it's been a while. (If you need it tell me how and I'll get back with it) So has anyone else heard of this sort of thing happening?

Thanks for your help.

(And just to let you all know, I tried a dozen+ forum topic searches on this-- but YOU try wording this question and getting any good results! http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/wacko.gif)

Hi Striker,

Thanks for the link. Let's see if I can follow directions...

Wrye

Oblivion.esm

01 Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm [Version 4.5bSI]

02 Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm [Version 4.5bSI]

03 Francesco's Optional New Creatures Add-On.esm [Version 4.5bSI]

04 Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp [Version 3.2.0]

05 DLCShiveringIsles.esp

06 Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.5.0]

++ LoadingScreens.esp

07 Book Jackets Oblivion.esp

08 ClocksOfCyrodiil.esp

09 Oblivion Cats v0.22b.esp

0A Q - More and Moldy Ingredients v1.1.esp

0B Wyverex's - Runes.esp

0C AddMapMarkers.esp

0D Rogue Mage & Scoundrel.esp

0E Francesco's Optional Files.esp

0F ExnemRuneskulls.esp

10 Trade and Commerce.esp

11 ArmoryLab.esp

12 Apachii_Goddess_Store.esp

13 Knights.esp

14 Harvest [Flora].esp [Version 3.0.0]

++ Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp [Version 3.0.0]

15 Cliff_BetterLetters.esp [Version 1.2]

16 gardening.esp

17 GP_Lockpicks.esp [Version 1.5]

18 ConduitMagic.esp

19 Mark & Recall.esp

1A SupremeMagicka.esp [Version 0.90b]

1B SM_ShiveringIsles.esp [Version 0.90]

1C SM_EnchantStaff.esp [Version 0.90]

++ SM_Scrolls.esp [Version 0.90]

++ SM_SigilStone.esp [Version 0.90]

1D MidasSpells.esp

1E Denock Arrows.esp

1F Legendary Abilities-Fortify Health MOJ.esp [Version 2.0]

20 Grandmaster of Alchemy.esp

++ Francesco's Slower skills x1.5.esp

** Cosmetic Compilation.esp

** Cosmetic Compilation - No NPC Changes.esp

21 Cosmetic Compilation - No JPeepers.esp

** Cosmetic Compilation - No JPeepers or NPC Changes.esp

++ Francesco's day lenght rescale 1-16.esp

22 Bashed Patch, 0.esp

OBMM

Oblivion.esm

Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm

Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm

Francesco's Optional New Creatures Add-On.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp

Book Jackets Oblivion.esp

ClocksOfCyrodiil.esp

Oblivion Cats v0.22b.esp

Q - More and Moldy Ingredients v1.1.esp

Wyverex's - Runes.esp

AddMapMarkers.esp

Rogue Mage & Scoundrel.esp

Francesco's Optional Files.esp

ExnemRuneskulls.esp

Trade and Commerce.esp

ArmoryLab.esp

Apachii_Goddess_Store.esp

Knights.esp

Harvest [Flora].esp

Cliff_BetterLetters.esp

gardening.esp

GP_Lockpicks.esp

ConduitMagic.esp

Mark & Recall.esp

SupremeMagicka.esp

SM_ShiveringIsles.esp

SM_EnchantStaff.esp

MidasSpells.esp

Denock Arrows.esp

Legendary Abilities-Fortify Health MOJ.esp

Grandmaster of Alchemy.esp

Cosmetic Compilation - No JPeepers.esp

Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Errrmmm...not sure if I did that correctly but I think the info is there. And load order should be correct.

What do you think? A main file was overwritten, that I can believe. But from where?

I'm by no means a load order expert (probably neophyte would describe me better). I see a number of mods that affect magic (SupremeMagicka, MidasSpells and ConduitMagic). I have absolutely no experience with any of those but if I was troubleshooting I'd start by deactivating one or more of those and see if it makes a difference. If you can ID the one that's causing the problem you could try moving it in the load order relative to the other two and then try all three active.

Sorry, when I'm out of my element I tend to throw darts and hope there's a dartboard in the vicinity.

I noticed a couple of mods that are probably related to your SupremeMagicka (the two SM_ mods). Probably best to deactivate them at the same time as SupremeMagicka.

- Edit - Try HeyYou's suggestion first ... far more experience there.

Edited by Striker879

Indeed, Supreme Magicka has an option to remove the starting spells and give you only spells of those schools you picked as primary.

In supreme magicka.ini, find the following line:

set zzSMConfigurationQuest.bDisableStartSpells to 0	; Set to 1 to disable the flare and health spell as starting spells. Adds replacement spell scrolls to sewer loot (only affects new games)

When set to 0 it won't remove them anymore, but as it states, once they have been removed, you don't get them back.

You can use the console to add the spells:

player.addspell A97DF

player.addspell 136

I don't recall it doing that the last time I played with this mod installed..  An update I wasn't aware of perhaps..<div><div><br></div><div>Evenstargw, thank you for the giving me amazing specifics on this.  The crew above was (as always, I've noticed lately) very helpful as were you.</div><div><br></div><div>I do have a question:  When you say; "...but as it states, once they have been removed, you don't get them back."  you mean the scrolls, correct?  And the console command would put the scrolls back in one's possession  (I don't want them but was curious)<br><br>Later that evening...I changed the file per above. </div><div><br></div><div>Started a new tester character.  I do have the starting spells back.  In some places.  The minor fire/healing spells both show up under the general magic tab but under spells you can cast only the weak fire ball is listed.  (Ancestral Guardian is fine)  And other things are odd--like "fix double face bug" (or whatever) is now a minor power.<br>I'm going to have to believe I must also have a magic mod conflict.  Striker threw a dart at it...   (I know the feeling!)<br>If anyone has additional thoughts please toss 'em on the heap.  I'm going to go unplug a mod or two and see what shakes.<br><br>Thanks again all.

</div></div>

Thank you, You, and I thought so too. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/laugh.gif

And somewhere in all the <bfd><key>/ <mouse>; stuff is the answer to that. But it's a witch to find!

Changed the SM ini file and it seemed to work. Both weak fire/healing spells show up under the general magic tab but only fire ball appears under the spells you can cast tab. Healing isn't there.

The Fix Double Face Bug patch shows up under lesser powers.

Greater Power of the Ancestral Guardian is fine.

And tonight's real update:

I've systematically deactivated all mods that I think could have magic conflicts or over-rides. Each time I removed a mod I reran BOSS, re-patched Wrye, and started a new test character. *Shrug* Still isn't correct.

Anyone?