Some NPCs stuck, Dark Brotherhood quest line stuck

HalcyonAnd0n

Disclaimer: the first paragraph is the big problem I'm having, the second is another issue that seemed to coincide with it, that's why it's there. Not sure if the second issue or the first could be mod related, but figured I'd start here and see if anyone has seen anything like it. I'll have ask to have it moved if needed.

The first problem I had was Adrianne Avenicci and Idolaf Battle-Born stuck where they normally start their first conversation when you enter Whiterun (about the Imperials needing more weapons, etc). This happened after that conversation already went on, and did it after many many trips to Whiterun and hours of gameplay. I figured it was a fluke and just an annoyance since Adrianne still sold/bought goods as normal. Then after a lot of misc questing and main story events, I went back into my Dark Brotherhood storyline (I was at the point of talking to Astrid about starting the first events of their "big" contract, omitting details for spoiler purposes, I can elaborate if needed). I received the quest and went further in to buy some materials and found the rest standing in a circle around Babette like they did when I entered for the first time. None of them would move, and speaking to each of them once started the same conversations that happened when I first entered the sanctuary, but after that they gave the relevant dialogue options for the quest and I could buy stuff from Babette but they would not move even after waiting in game for 5 days. After finishing that quest and the one following for Gabrielle, Astrid would not speak to me about the "event" that happened while I was gone and everyone was still standing where they were, just like I had gone in for the first time. So to finish, the "stuck" issue with Adrianne happened well before the DB issue as I'd gone back there several times to buy things and everyone was milling around like usual. Also none of the above characters would actually run their dialogue like they should after they got "stuck" (i.e. Adrianne and Idolaf should be talking about the weapons but they stand there staring at each other, and the DB members stand around not talking at all either). Maybe some console command to get those initial dialogues to kick in would fix it?

And somewhere between the two events above I tried to dismiss Lydia since I was going to leave her in Whiterun and go about my Dark Brotherhood storyline (already owned Breezehome and had its furnishings). I have UFO installed since I'd planned to maybe use 2 followers but didn't, although I still liked the "relax" and "train" options for it. Long story short, she would keep following after telling her we're parting ways and ShowFollowerCount still held a value of 1. I made a test save, unloaded UFO (not installed), went in, dismissed her and she went back to Dragonsreach, saved again and reloaded UFO, came back and I could hire/dismiss her at will. But she would always return to Dragonsreach, so I tried talking to Proventus and he wanted me to buy Breezehome again! All my stuff was stored there and I could go in/out as I pleased so I made another save, bought it from him and he said I had all furnishings when questioned. Lydia also went back there then, and this hasn't been an issue since. So I'm guessing this is an issue with me "losing" Breezehome ultimately? Again this hasn't been an issue since I fixed it.

So after all this I'm stuck and can't continue my DB storyline. I've gone to every place I can think of that would have NPCs that had a specific starting area and maybe conversations with other NPCs and none of them were stuck like the two instances I mentioned above (except the DB is everyone in there, Whiterun it was just those 2 NPCs). Another note, I ran the full DB quest with the mods I have now on a previous playthrough (custom race that was getting on my nerves a bit and decided to start with a vanilla race) and went all the way through to the end where I started the repeating missions for the DB and no problems. If someone needs I'll post a load order, but most of my stuff is clothing related with some other bits but none that touch NPCs and the only follower overhaul is UFO. I have a save I can go back to where none of these issues are happening (with the same mods loaded and the same load order) but that means a metric sh** ton of game time, loot, etc. lost. At that rate I'd want to say screw it and start a new game. Let me know if anyone's run into a similar issue, I haven't been able to find anything yet and if I have to I'll start anew. :unsure:

EDIT: I've decided to start a new game, I'll check back to see if there are any posts and respond if I come across anything in the meantime. Starting to think it's not mod related but possibly a Steam cloud sync issue.

Edited by PharCry

• 1 year later...