Best Game You've Ever Played

Varus Torvyn

Not sure if someone mentioned it before, even not accounting among the best games ever a somewhat obscure game from somewhat obscure SH got my attention a while ago: Total annihilation.

This was one of the first RTS to use physics concepts at full scale. ballistic weapons could hit units across mountains. Jamming units where something the competent rival should go first. Making commandos useful to take down them and barrage artillery, or tactical raids with the similar ideas. Someway it brought the complexity of a TBS to the RTS and succeed in it, where the terrain texture played fundamental hole, as mountains, rivers, etc.

Since I never played it online, I don't know what was it's performance there, but would not be surprised if this was it's demise.

A game with very good concepts and a above average implementation... nowadays, with the stage physics achieved, TA is a game I'd love to see a sequel.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha readding these posts make me feel like an old male without a father.

anyway for what its worth here are the games i liked to great extent , in no order , i consider "the best" to be a flawed concept.

i am from scotland , age 28.

RPG ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darkseed - Amiga 500 - Creepy game , with amazing visuals (for the time)

features art work from HR Giger.

fallout I, II - PC - brilliant story , massive map , freedom to RP your own direction

Deus EX - PC - freedom , great story , but was destoryed by the 2nd version

shadowrun - SNES - cyberpunks , the matrix , good atmosphre and story (for the time)

overblood 2 - PS1/X - japanese style rpg , with workingclass english/scottish accent translation.

tyipical japanese storyline done well , with sections of action.

early 3D polygon rpg , well worth a look.

FPS ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOOM I,II,III,ROE etc - PC - no one will forget this game after playing it for the first time.

Half life - PC - bringing the FPS into a new dimention , unforgetable.

Action -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jet set willy , manic miner - Zx-Spectrum - an absolute classic.

Attick attack - Zx-Spectrum - freedom

Psycho-Nics Oscar - Arcade - perhaps my favourite action game , the insparation for

turrican , and in a lot of ways its better. what a game !

Turrican I, II - Amiga - arcade action in the home , a true gem of the amiga and era

Rastan Saga - Arcade - the music , the visuals

Ghosts and Goblins, Ghouls and Ghosts - Arcade - gameplay , music , visuals.

Powerblade II & I - NES - great concept , almost perfect gameplay.

The Devil Inside - Pc - crazy gameshow , where you shoot zombies , and play sexy vampires in

tight pvc . some great subtle humor in this game , well worth a look.

"haha he died with his boots on ! "

Shooter -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asteriods - Arcade - ill never tire of this game.

R-Type - Arcade - brilliant music , visuals and the game play is almost flawless.

Abadox - NES - absolute arcade action on the home console , the best shooter

i have played outside of the arcade. almost my fav shooter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there are simply to meny games from to meny genre for me to pick out the best ones,

as im sure is the case for anyone readding this. these are just some of the games that

made a lasting impact on me .

these games never got the almost decade long advertising campaing that mario did, but people who have played them will never forget.

If I had to vote for my Fav PC game it would definalty be Ages of Empires 2 and the expansion

Some people says Age of Empires 2 and later are good... I played AoE 1... and after surviving an early AI attack, preparing a retaliation just to encounter several peasants placidly going thru their lives and some lambs to fight... I began to think that called AI should be named something else. Opinion confirmed when I encountered the "deserters' from the early army (I never played the game again to find out if they were survivors or just got lost in the way to the first assault) trying to go though mountains (serious, they kept marching against the wall) and they didn't even fight back. Never played AoE of any version afterwards.

For RPGs, I'd have to say Oblivion & The Witcher. FPS, I'm rather fond of Riddick (CoR: EFBB, looking forward to Dark Athena).

No question about it the Thief games (Thief, Thief2, Thief(3) Deadly Shadows!

Then Oblivion and the rest.

90s Doom 1-2, Privateer, Prince of persia, Bioforge, Crusader No Remorse, Imperium galactica, Masters of orion 2, Fallout, Baldurs gate. & old quest games

21 century Fallout 2, Jagged Alliance 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, Baldurs Gate 2, Witcher, Postal 2 Fudgepack, Rome total War series.

Well here are my favourites

RPG:

FFX

FFIX

Oblivion + a few hundred mods :D

Neverwinter nights series

Fallout 3

RTS:

Empires: dawn of the modern world (It's a bit old, but it was the first game I ever played online and the first I got real good at)

Warcraft series

Total War series

Dawn of war series

C&C Red Alert (first game I ever played)

FPS:

Metal Gear solid series

Fear

C&C renegade (was alright online, or at first anyway)

I can't think of any other fps game I actually liked. I don't really like fps games much