Dark Souls Review/News

Rennn

You're getting 30 FPS with no drops?

Strange, my card is better than yours (6870). I should be getting at least the same performance as you do. Can I know which drivers you're using please?

The resolution fix also isn't working for me, I think I know why. I'll try it again later.

Game is really great, the FPS drops make it a bit less enjoyable but I guess I'll fix that sooner or later. Currently dying at the skeleton graveyard. I haven't played a game with a controller for over 3 years, I have to get used to it a bit.

I'm using the latest stable driver, I think. . . 12.8. I'm playing the game at 1600x900. Though now that I look around online more, I notice very incongruous frame rates. I saw someone who said he got stutter with a gtx 670. It is very strange- looks like Dark Souls is only using part of the power of people's video cards in some cases. I think there are some discussions about it on the DSfix page. Hopefully driver updates, or a patch, or a mod will fix it.

The higher resolution mod doesn't play nice with Dark Souls AA, by the way. I'm enforcing 4x AA through my video card instead.

Edited by Aegrus

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/2012082400159.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/2012082400117.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/2012082400069.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/2012082400096.jpg/

Got some pics at 1600x900. I know, I haven't gotten very far yet. :biggrin:

Edit. . . er. . .what? None of them are displaying at 1600x900. Very odd.

Edited by Aegrus

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dark-souls/1225854p1.html

"this is one of the worst ports we've ever seen."

lets it face dark souls is a crappy port of a great game. if EA or ubisoft did a port at this quality people would burn them at the stake.

overall i say its livable, at least brighttown doesnt run at 3-5 fps

Edited by hector530

I fixed the FPS with new drivers, the resolution patch is working perfectly now, controls are great with a controller.

Honestly, I can't complain anymore. I am playing Dark Souls on PC, with a steady 30 FPS now and at 1920x1080 resolution at 1080p. I'm very satisfied.

this game is near broken on PC. you almost HAVE to use a controller. hell, FROM didnt even change the screen logos to reflect a keyboard. even if you dont have a controller, it still only tells you what to press as if you had a controller, to me, right there, shows laziness and a horrible port. i wasnt one of the people who wanted the port, nor did i ever plan on getting it for PC (if i need a controller to play a game on PC, then im getting it for my console) but FROM didnt put any time into this port, and its obvious. as that review hector put up said, had this been a port from any other company of any other game, PC fans would be raging right now (and many are) but for some reason, and idky, Dark Souls holds this status around it thats its a god of a video game, the best RPG ever made and whatnot, but oh its ok that its a crappy horrible port, its Dark Souls. but as long as you get some slightly better graphics (which again, isnt from the port, its from a mod. FROM didnt do anything to make it look better) then youre happy. also as the review said, it took this guy who did the mod one day to put the mod out. how could FROM not take that same amount of time to do what he did? its almost like this game has been done since a week after the petition was agreed to, and then its all just been hype since then. im not so sure they worked on it after that. they hyped the game up, or rather PC players did, and they got tons of money from it, only for you all to realize (or some, fail to realize) that you really only got a simple crappy console port and that FROM really didnt do anything special or out of the way for PC players

dont get me wrong, ill be getting the DLC for Ps3 when it hits, but as far as Dark Souls on PC goes, its a complete disappointment in my eyes and shows laziness on FROMs part.

From already said that they had no idea what they were doing with porting it to PC, they apologized publicly. They also said that it's highly recommended to use a controller.

We requested a PC port, we got one. Yes, it's sh**, yes it's far from perfect. But with a controller and this mod, it's working great.

Just my opinion.

Even at higher resolutions, Dark Souls has low grade, pixelated dof. The latest version of DSfix (Durante's mod)(0.4) fixes that as well by allowing you to pick from several resolutions of dof, or turn it off entirely. It also allows you to turn off/on the mouse cursor at will with the press of a button.

I'm still using mouse and keyboard controls (remapped, obviously- default were pretty much unplayable), and I'm actually getting pretty good at it. Still want to get my ps3 controller working with motionjoy, though.