An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like the idea of restoring the BoS to it's former glory and is something that I also want to pursue. What are you're views on given them access to Big Mt and Hopeville though? That would allow for a completely new range of advanced weapons to pour into the Mojave and have a logical reason for being there, unlike finding it in a box in Goodsprings like what every other weapon modder on the Nexus does.

So let's say the Courier is a Paladin and accepts the ideology full on, what happens to all the other side hustles the Courier has going on. I always end up with way too much money than I could ever spend and want to invest it wisely, so would we be able to set up some form or arms manufacturing? Or Armour manufacturing? With access to Saturnite Alloys, imagine what could be built in terms of military technology alone!

The best chance for the BoS to interact with the local population and come full circle as Roger Maxson wanted is to keep McNamara in charge. He might not be on the same level as Lyons but there is better hope for the BoS to bounce back under McNamara and the Couriers influence.

Do you have solutions to recruitment? Maybe Lyons BoS or even Brotherhood Outcasts from DC could bolster the ranks if you can get word to them somehow.

I think we all agree that HELIOS One will be retaken by the BoS also.

You can have a independent ending where the courier is neutral or even a provisional ally toward the BOS if certain conditions are met (eyesight to teh blind completed etc). The independent courier can raise them up to a limited degree and support them, as s/he would with any ally, but the BOS isn't the couriers's primary focus in any of the independent endings. In general they'r still a minor faction, with limited impact on the game world. That's what we have posted previously (in this thread) and is more or less the maximum scope of the BOS, as far as we've brainstormed.

Regarding the Brotherhood in the normal Independent version I have a question to ask. Is it necessary for the quest Eyesight To the Blind to be completed? It's just that I'm planning to leave that quest alone due to the fact that I don't want to join the Brotherhood. I've always felt that both Fallout 3 and New Vegas (if the player goes through with the mentioned quest) that players are railroaded into joining the Brotherhood. At least in New Vegas the game does not make me a member of the Brotherhood while I'm in a coma. Even without completing Eyesight to the Blind the player has already gathered quite a bit of kudos with McNamara and kicking the NCR out of the region is sure to go down well with them.

5. Nellis AFB: This is where things get interesting. They're not too positively-inclined towards the Boomers, I should think, since they lost two Paladins to artillery fire; I think it'd be up to the player to smooth things over, or else pick a side. If the player sided with the Brotherhood, they'd probably be asked to sneak into Nellis, then sabotage the Boomer's guns, after which the Brotherhood would launch a raid on the base. After the raid, heavy artillery would likely appear at other Brotherhood positions around the place.

Regarding the Brotherhood/Boomers conflict over a couple of dead paladins I think it should be mentioned that when McNamara asks the player to retrieve the holo tapes of the missing Brotherhood patrols the rest of the Brotherhood don't know anything about the missing patrols. If players choose to help Hardin in the vanilla game it is the fact that McNamara broke Brotherhood protocol and gave the paladins their mission directly instead of telling Hardin to send out patrols to these locations is what got McNamara removed as Elder. It would be difficult to for McNamara to order the Brotherhood to attack the Boomers without mentioning the dead patrol if he wants to keep his position as Elder.

Regarding the Brotherhood in the normal Independent version I have a question to ask. Is it necessary for the quest.... Even without completing Eyesight to the Blind the player has already gathered quite a bit of kudos with McNamara and kicking the NCR out of the region is sure to go down well with them.

Strangely enough, the vault wiki endgame slides don't have a listing for "No Gods, No Masters" and skipping "Eyesight to the blind", unless you do so without upgrading teh securitrons (which I think is the far less common choice). I'll check and see if there are any additional conditionals in the slideshow quest, maybe the vault wiki page is incomplete.

But to me, as you mention, just removing the NCR would create a lot of goodwill. We're essentially speaking in terms of a possible alliance?

Alright, I've got some free time now. Let me get some quick thoughts down:

2. The Strip: I've got mixed feelings here. The Brotherhood would likely secure it for their own ends, but I'm kinda unsure as to what would happen next - while militaristic, I don't think they'd see fit to completely shut it down. I frankly suspect they'd leave the Courier to run it. Oh, and they'd completely loot the Lucky 38 of anything technological.

I believe it would be similar to this. Maybe they would leave it up to the player to talk to the families about forming a real police force. I always hope that this mod would have a certain level of customization and management to it...
-Default (no price, but could cause problems) use securitrons for basic protection like they are in the game.
-First option (least expensive): take left over NCR fatigues and have them died, ad an armband or two..... you have yourself a police force
-Second (moderately expensive): Gain a stock of combat armor (by buying it, or taking it). Then recolor them, maybe add the words "Strip Security" in stenciled letters on the plate located on the upper back.
-Third (most expensive/troublesome) Try to steal a shipment of Veteran NCR Ranger armor, recolor and re-purpose it.
With them simultaneously trying to form a more organized militia force (this force would probably be what eventually is protecting most settlements in the Mohave). Again this is only if the player takes it that far with them, or if the mod itself has BOS strip interaction as a real possibility. It could be very likely that this wouldn't be something that they do on their own (going by their backwards nature), but as an agreement with the courier. Something like, "I will grant you access to the strip and all the tech in the dam/L38 and you help form a human militia." I can also see these militia members having some form of altered outfits. Maybe a mix of salvaged NCR plate armor and leather, recolored to show a relation to the BOS. Maybe called the "Steel Guardsmen" or something, that would be in keeping with the BOS "mid-evil" theme.

-Default (no price, but could cause problems) use securitrons for basic protection like they are in the game.
-Third (most expensive/troublesome) Try to steal a shipment of Veteran NCR Ranger armor, recolor and re-purpose it.

This is really more suited to the independent thread since it focuses more on resource/troop/population management, whereas this thread mostly just focuses on BOS-centric topics.

But just so your aware, the vetern ranger armor isn't made by the NCR, it's pre-war, so there isn't new product being produced and shipped from the core region. Mostly the veteran armor is on the back of ranger vets and I suspect treated more like personal gear, rather than common military assets shipped through supply lines in the NCR. The NCR does make patrol armor in it's core region military armories, but the DT is lower than the pre-war riot armor.

Quick tangent; While traditionally shown as LA riot gear armor I believe ranger vet armor could include any of the riot gear type armors like the LA, the LR armors and any military regiment or division that required serious protection but was unsuited to power armor (ie any mobile or light infantry, especially air assault) or had not been equipped with the military's newest super armor. An example would be the 101 airborne or army rangers, in which mobility is a important consideration. All of these would be scavenged (or inherited) from pre-war locations by the original desert rangers and NCR.

Your probably right about that, I was just trying to think of an armor that was cool and protective, but wasn't power armor. Since I am sure the brotherhood (no matter how progressive they get) wouldn't be teaching a city's police force the finer aspects of power armor.

Now this brings the point up, do you think that there would be both a Strip Police Force and an Wasteland Protection militia as separate entities? If you do, do you expect The Courier to set them both up?

Edited by blaze1514

Your probably right about that, I was just trying to think of an armor that was cool and protective, but wasn't power armor. Since I am sure the brotherhood (no matter how progressive they get) wouldn't be teaching a city's police force the finer aspects of power armor.

No, I don't believe they would either. In the independent ending consider them as allies essentially. It can be an "enemy of my enemy" thing in re: to the NCR, a acknowledgement of the aid you provided them in eyesight for the blind, or just a admission of the power of your securitron army. They may send over a few knights for weapons training (mostly to keep good relations), but they wouldn't be teaching power armor training or providing any weapons etc.

I'm not sure they would be the best choice for a militia or fledgling rank and file army. The BOS tends to favor energy weapons (at least according to the wiki) and power armor, which means their tactics and combat style probably reflect that military hardware. The combat skills of a heavily armored paladin with a gatling laser probably isn't going to be great instruction for a militia member looking to break up a bum fight. But I could be completely wrong about that, they may have preserved full military training, retaining all the skills that army members had from recruits to special forces. They may have whole databases of training manuals. I'm not sure, I could see it either way. I supposed that's something we need to info on or should decide among ourselves.

If your considering just the aspect of a uniform as something distinctive/iconic that promotes identification, that is essentially cosmetic. There's nothing stopping you from throwing a duster over a light or medium armor, for example (and you don't need a single piece of riot gear), if your shooting for a ranger vet "look". Or perhaps you'd like to shoot for something more akin to U.S. military desert gear. I think there are a lot of options.

Now this brings the point up, do you think that there would be both a Strip Police Force and an Wasteland Protection militia as separate entities?

I believe that most countries/nations tend to have a police force (civilian) and a military force, but there is room for many variations in between. On one hand you have the securitrons which are one of the toughest bots, but realistically won't have the capability to deal with some of the more subtle crime. Certainly they won't be as insightful as a officer of the law with some experience, who's been around the block. But the concept of human police backed up by Securitron heavy guns may not be a bad combo for the strip. It's used to keep the peace prior to teh 2nd battle of hoover dam via NCR MPs and the bots.

Another aspect you could follow would be the old west and how law was administered on the frontier, the original rangers (and sheriffs). May fit well in the Mojave.

I think for the army you'll also need a mixed force. It's very unlikely that a milita is going to be able to hold it's own against hardened legion forces, unless you'v gathered some exceptional individuals. The legion is simply too well trained in guerrilla warfare, raiding, terrorism, torture, hand to hand combat etc for green troops to face on an equal footing. But with the bots to reinforce them, a militia might be a viable force.

If you do, do you expect The Courier to set them both up?

I suspect you meant this in light of the BOS ending, since in the independent ending no one else would be suitable to do so except the courier (or one of his/her representatives). So I'll answer that over there.

There are military forces that can act as a police force even during periods of peace. You mainly see them in Europe but they're called "Gendarmarie"

The NCR MPs I referenced above are military, but police the population (civilians) of the strip. There is a lot of variations between culture, nations, religions etc. From what little I know, one of the commonly defining differences seems to most often hing on a external (foreign aggressors) vs internal threats. But the range is broad. You can have a civilian police force in the U.S. that is empowered by the state, with clear delineations from the military. You can have mutaween/morality police that enforce Sharia law with no real delineation from the govt or state supported religion. It's a wide ranging spectrum.