An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to this for a while now due to being sick but as for the police http://fallout.gamepedia.com/NCR_Police

edit: I think in game their inventory could consist of a different coloured trooper fatigues, 9mm pistols, cattle prod, and combat knife.

edit: I think the Police HQ would be best in either the Kings HQ or the Silver Rush. Although the embassy is a good place as well I think it's better suited as a town hall.

Edited by sgtKraigO

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on what to do with the Van Graffs in this mod? I'm pretty sure the majority of the people here wipe them out and then loot the Silver Rush but there could be benefits to keeping them alive.

They are weapon merchants after all, and they can also "field a small army" according to Gloria. Whoever this army is, they must be pretty tough to survive in NCR territory, although they pay off the NCR when it gets too deep. Having them around could lead to new allies or even antagonists in the post Hoover Dam battle world, new quests and even provide a direct link to New Reno, who may help New Vegas' cause.

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to this for a while now due

Sorry to hear that brother, your doing better now though?

to being sick but as for the police http://fallout.gamepedia.com/NCR_Police

I think you have a bit different dynamics. The core region is one of the most civilized locations in the west, whereas the mojave is a boardlans/frontier type setting. I suspect something modeled on the American west would be a better fit (where the rangers and sherrifs were tasked with patrolling very large areas of the frontier). But that's mostly a player choice if s/eh wants a civilian police force in teh strip itself. Shame the highway patrol station doesn't have any uniforms. Maybe some could be looted from a police station somewhere.

But I'll add your link for the NCR police to teh NCR ending. I don't suspect we'll see any civilian police in the NCR's newest state until years after it's annexed and has become civilized, but perhaps a detective or two may show up in New Vegas hunting a criminal or with info/leads/quests for the player.

Any thoughts on what to do with the Van Graffs in this mod? I'm pretty sure the majority of the people here wipe them out and then loot the Silver Rush but there could be benefits to keeping them alive.

They are weapon merchants after all, and they can also "field a small army" according to Gloria. Whoever this army is, they must be pretty tough to survive in NCR territory, although they pay off the NCR when it gets too deep. Having them around could lead to new allies or even antagonists in the post Hoover Dam battle world, new quests and even provide a direct link to New Reno, who may help New Vegas' cause.

I think the "small army" would probably consist of their guards, mercenaries, and anyone else who works for them. As for Van Graff ending I usually hand the evidence over to the authorities, but I know my friend usually has Cass killed for two reason, he doesn't use Cass as a companion and he likes using energy weapons.

Sorry to hear that brother, your doing better now though?

to being sick but as for the police http://fallout.gamepedia.com/NCR_Police

I think you have a bit different dynamics. The core region is one of the most civilized locations in the west, whereas the mojave is a boardlans/frontier type setting. I suspect something modeled on the American west would be a better fit (where the rangers and sherrifs were tasked with patrolling very large areas of the frontier). But that's mostly a player choice if s/eh wants a civilian police force in teh strip itself. Shame the highway patrol station doesn't have any uniforms. Maybe some could be looted from a police station somewhere.

But I'll add your link for the NCR police to teh NCR ending. I don't suspect we'll see any civilian police in the NCR's newest state until years after it's annexed and has become civilized, but perhaps a detective or two may show up in New Vegas hunting a criminal or with info/leads/quests for the player.

Still sick but I am getting better.

I could see the NCR using rangers and MPs as temporary sheriffs and deputies respectively, as to keep law and order in and around NV while a new police force consisting mostly of locals is being trained by police officers from around the NCR, although some could be retired troopers and NCR citizens. As for the new police chiefs they could be a few experienced police officers who were lucky enough to get a promotion.

edit: Just thought it would be cool if Old Ben became a police officer if you don't get him a job at the Atomic Wrangler.

Edited by sgtKraigO

Well they'r a merchant house (like the CC), they'r actually based in CA, so it's not really a question of surviving in the NCR. They've definitely run afoul of NCR law enforcement more than once, but it's not like they'r a hostile foreign faction or tribe. And you can bet they spend a fair amount of cap to influence NCR politics via contributing to some senators. They'll continue to do business in the NCR, in NV and anywhere else where they can make money, as long as your not actively at war with the NCR (and maybe even then if they can do it on the down low and make some decent cash).

As far as their "army" it's nothing like the NCR. The NCR has about 7 million citizens, if 10% are conscripted your looking at close to 700k active duty military.

I could see the NCR using rangers and MPs as temporary sheriffs and deputies respectively, as to keep law and order in and around NV while a new police force consisting mostly of locals is being trained by police officers from around the NCR, although some could be retired troopers and NCR citizens. As for the new police chiefs they could be a few experienced police officers who were lucky enough to get a promotion.

Little bit more of a NCR thing there.

If it's independent NCR friendly ending your referring to, than the NCR are tasked with keeping the peace as per the New Vegas Treaty. IOn which case they'll continue to use MPs, although rank and file military as well as rangers and other special forces are still involved as per normal. They won't use a conventional police force now any more than they have the last 7 years they'v been protecting NV.

If it's the independent ending your thinking about, we can have a wide latitude to work with. The player can set up a militia to guard the streets or a official police force etc.

I suspect something modeled on the American west would be a better fit (where the rangers and sheriffs were tasked with patrolling very large areas of the frontier). But that's mostly a player choice if s/eh wants a civilian police force in the strip itself.

I believe that it would go something like this...

In the settlements, I would think that the town would be protected by a Marshal and his appointed officers. While the wasteland itself would be patrolled by a "Mohave Wasteland Sheriff" and his deputies. Finally the strip would be managed by a real police force, lead by a Chief of Police that you put in place.

All of this leads to more story options as well. Maybe you have 3 or so options as police chief, and depending on who you get effects the way the force runs. Maybe you could "support" a certain person as sheriff. I could see lots of the desert rangers staying behind for this. After all their allegiance isn't truly to the NCR, its to the Mohave.

As for uniforms...

--For the strip...

I always wanted to get a mod of a navy blue jumpsuit, then have the Kevlar vests on the powderganger guard armor. Add to that a black combat helmet and aviators. You could have a mission where you go find the vests in the prisons storage, and the jumpsuit in one of the factory buildings.

Now we have a nice uniform. For diversity's sake, I would add in Enclave patrol cap with the symbol blacked out, a re-textured navy police cap, and possibly a navy baseball cap as head gear. And a "Armored Vault suit" style variant of the uniform. You could also say that there was a store of old swat gear in the L38 basement (swat gear was the look I was going for with this). Who knows what house may have wanted his police force to be..... before the bombs fell early and he had to use only securitrons.

--For the Marshals...

This would be more.... diverse. Firstly, the term marshal might only be used by people in your facilities in the strip. However they could be called whatever. (example, Myers is the sheriff of prim to its people, but officially to your forces he is designated as a Marshal) This means that the "uniforms" would be much more diverse. Prim is already set because of the main story, and Free-side is set depending on what you did. Prim can keep using its main game sheriff as a marshal. And Free-side can use The King and his army of Kings.

--As for the Wasteland Sheriff and his Deputies...

I envision this as almost a militia force. They would look mostly like upgraded and better armored NCR Desert Rangers from the vanilla game. (maybe armored with stolen NCR Trooper plates and a miss mach of other more armored items, while still keeping that "Desert filled western" look. These guys would mostly do things like.... Guard the 188 trading post and the grub and gulp. Also for keeping an eye on the Legion forces. Turning people away from Camp Searchlight, and transporting/guarding anything vital to the well being of the region as a whole. Also protecting any settlements that didn't or for some reason couldn't choose a Marshal. (possibly Arotech office park and Bitter Springs Camp)

Of course I remember you all saying that there would be a certain level of customization to things, but that is how I would personally do things if I were the courier

I could see lots of the desert rangers staying behind for this. After all their allegiance isn't truly to the NCR, its to the Mohave.

Actually that's not the case at all. The desert rangers don't have a huge amount of official lore available, but here is some. They stretched far further than the Mojave, and the Mojave isn't listed as their home. The Mojave is mostly in CA with a smaller part in NV and an even smaller part in AZ. Here is a map;

http://media.web.britannica.com/eb-media/73/164073-004-FF6BB526.gif

They're origins actually stretch back to the Texas rangers. They were active in Utah, Nevada, Arizona etc.

I don't believe they will part ways with teh NCR for many, many reasons. Here is a few;

1. no mention at all in lore about desert rangers parting from the NCR.

2. They'v been serving with the NCR for over 10 years. Imagine the kind of bonds you'v seen in WWII vets after only a few months or a year. Many of the desert rangers may be getting on toward the late 30s or 40s, and they make up a small minority of rangers (the majority being NCR). Many have probably moved into command positions and I think it's unlikely at best they will desert their positions and their men.

3. They would be deserters, not typically a title we associate with rangers.

4. They joined with the NCR because they believe it's the best chance to uphold the values they consider important (for example protecting the innocent from the Legion), that doesn't change their beliefs because of one battle in a larger war.

5. They have been protecting the 7 million people of the NCR for the last decade, many are just now returning from Baja CA.

Anyway it goes on and on, but I don't want to type out a novel here. I'v put up other posts on it, if you want more detail. Long story short, the rangers (both desert and NCR born and bred) are the republic's most able special forces and I believe the view that they would part ways is misinformed.