An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note, the NCR only has 700,000 citizens, as per the wiki (and a terminal entry in FO3, IIRC) not 7 million.

Yep, my mistake 700k.

That's kind of the whole point, for the size of their population and available soldiers, they are massively overstretched.

When you say "that's kind of the whole point", what is the position or assertion/argument that you want to express. We already know (at least I haven't heard anyone argue otherwise) that the NCR is overstretched, it's a reoccurring theme in the game.

Just a note, the NCR only has 700,000 citizens, as per the wiki (and a terminal entry in FO3, IIRC) not 7 million. That's kind of the whole point, for the size of their population and available soldiers, they are massively overstretched.

That information is likely from this http://fallout.gamepedia.com/NCR_history_holodisk

"HOW BIG IS NCR?

Founded eighty years ago, the NCR is now comprised of the states of Shady, Los Angeles, Maxson, Hub, and Dayglow. Approximately 700,000 citizens are pleased to call NCR home."

I would like to point out that any information the east coast BOS has on the west coast is most likely out dated as the NCR has expanded greatly since they left.

For very traditional police uniforms, there are some assets available, here is a pic of one;

I feel like the uniforms shouldn't a copy of traditional uniforms. Maybe add some NCR characteristics to it?

I feel like the uniforms shouldn't a copy of traditional uniforms. Maybe add some NCR characteristics to it?

Whey would the independent ending/courier want NCR characteristics on his/her uniforms?

Oh sorry I thought you meant to use those for NCR police, my bad.

Just a note, the NCR only has 700,000 citizens, as per the wiki (and a terminal entry in FO3, IIRC) not 7 million.

Yep, my mistake 700k.

That's kind of the whole point, for the size of their population and available soldiers, they are massively overstretched.

When you say "that's kind of the whole point", what is the position or assertion/argument that you want to express. We already know (at least I haven't heard anyone argue otherwise) that the NCR is overstretched, it's a reoccurring theme in the game.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but I thought you were saying the NCR could field an army of 700k, and therefore a well-equipped private army probably wouldn't be a threat inside their borders.

Just a note, the NCR only has 700,000 citizens, as per the wiki (and a terminal entry in FO3, IIRC) not 7 million. That's kind of the whole point, for the size of their population and available soldiers, they are massively overstretched.

That information is likely from this http://fallout.gamepedia.com/NCR_history_holodisk

"HOW BIG IS NCR?

Founded eighty years ago, the NCR is now comprised of the states of Shady, Los Angeles, Maxson, Hub, and Dayglow. Approximately 700,000 citizens are pleased to call NCR home."

I would like to point out that any information the east coast BOS has on the west coast is most likely out dated as the NCR has expanded greatly since they left.

Contact between the Western and Eastern BoS was only broken some time after the events of Fallout 2, in 2241, I can't imagine the population has exploded that much since then, the doubling time of populations is usually somewhere between 50 and 100 years, and the NCR has been suffering from drought and warfare in that period as well.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but I thought you were saying the NCR could field an army of 700k, and therefore a well-equipped private army probably wouldn't be a threat inside their borders.

It was in reference to Gloria's claim of a army, I was asserting that the Van Graffs and the NCR military are not on the same level. Taking the same percentage of conscription (1 in 10) your looking at 70,000 active duty military members, although conscription may be higher during war time. I use this as a rough rule of thumb since we don't have actual troop numbers, conscription percentage etc.

Contact between the Western and Eastern BoS was only broken some time after the events of Fallout 2, in 2241, I can't imagine the population has exploded that much since then, the doubling time of populations is usually somewhere between 50 and 100 years, and the NCR has been suffering from drought and warfare in that period as well.

That would actually imply 40 years. And the wiki seems to portray them as fairly successful;

"By post-apocalyptic standards, the NCR is a paragon of economic success and good ethical character: political enfranchisement, rule of law, a reasonable degree of physical security, and a standard of living better than mere subsistence are daily realities"

"Currently, the NCR is in a state of transition, with rapid economic growth and a sea change in political leadership endangering its grand humanitarian ideals. Nowhere is this more evident than in the Mojave, where the occupation of Hoover Dam has improved access to electricity and water, but at the cost of straining its budget and embroiling its armed forces in a morally corrosive imperialist project."

Although I couldn't say if the 700k figure is current or, as you'v stated a census for 2241. I won't know that until I'v done some research. But the wiki does seem to paint the NCR in a pretty successful light right up to the present.

It was in reference to Gloria's claim of a army, I was asserting that the Van Graffs and the NCR military are not on the same level. Taking the same percentage of conscription (1 in 10) your looking at 70,000 active duty military members, although conscription may be higher during war time. I use this as a rough rule of thumb since we don't have actual troop numbers, conscription percentage etc.

That would actually imply 40 years. And the wiki seems to portray them as fairly successful;

"By post-apocalyptic standards, the NCR is a paragon of economic success and good ethical character: political enfranchisement, rule of law, a reasonable degree of physical security, and a standard of living better than mere subsistence are daily realities"

"Currently, the NCR is in a state of transition, with rapid economic growth and a sea change in political leadership endangering its grand humanitarian ideals. Nowhere is this more evident than in the Mojave, where the occupation of Hoover Dam has improved access to electricity and water, but at the cost of straining its budget and embroiling its armed forces in a morally corrosive imperialist project."

Although I couldn't say if the 700k figure is current or, as you'v stated a census for 2241. I won't know that until I'v done some research. But the wiki does seem to paint the NCR in a pretty successful light right up to the present.

Of course, and the van Graffs are primarily businessmen anyway. It makes sense to have a private army to operate under the radar and intimidate your competitors, but full-on war with the place where you do most of your trading is just bad business!

I brought up the Van Graffs as they are an interesting faction. I feel its worth mentioning that they screwed over the Legion and took a few of them out whilst securing an exclusive trade deal with the NCR. Whoever their "small army" is i'd still imagine them to go down fighting and are most likely a ruthless gang of cut-throats. Probably consisting of mercs and ex-NCR personel. New Reno has always been an area of interest, and it seems that a large proportion of the Nexus enjoy "new lands" mods so I thought that New Reno could be a new avenue to explore and the Van Graffs could be the connecting vain.

If the NCR pulls out the region, then i'd imagine that in the lawless, anarchic environment of the Mojave Wasteland, Gloria and Jean Claude would hire extra muscle to help protect their business. I don't know how many people on here give 2 s###s about Cass, the Van Graffs seem a lot more interesting and the perks of having them around seem to outweigh the advantages of having them wiped out. It's always good to have an arms dealer in your corner for when things turn sour.

Edited by Narmz