An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

Just a note, the NCR only has 700,000 citizens, as per the wiki (and a terminal entry in FO3, IIRC) not 7 million. That's kind of the whole point, for the size of their population and available soldiers, they are massively overstretched.

That information is likely from this http://fallout.gamepedia.com/NCR_history_holodisk

"HOW BIG IS NCR?

Founded eighty years ago, the NCR is now comprised of the states of Shady, Los Angeles, Maxson, Hub, and Dayglow. Approximately 700,000 citizens are pleased to call NCR home."

I would like to point out that any information the east coast BOS has on the west coast is most likely out dated as the NCR has expanded greatly since they left.

Contact between the Western and Eastern BoS was only broken some time after the events of Fallout 2, in 2241, I can't imagine the population has exploded that much since then, the doubling time of populations is usually somewhere between 50 and 100 years, and the NCR has been suffering from drought and warfare in that period as well.

And since then they have brought New Reno, Redding, Modoc, Gecko, Vault City, Arroyo, and Klamath into their territory. I'm not saying it's doubled but I would suspect it's around 1 million.

Edit: Was just looking at the Fallout timeline. By 2277 all communications stopped (Same year as the 1st battle of Hoover Dam), so they would probably know about the NCR expansion, although I believe they wouldn't have a proper census of the NCR as west coast BoS is largely stuck inside their bunkers trying to survive.

Edited by sgtKraigO

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And since then they have brought New Reno, Redding, Modoc, Gecko, Vault City, Arroyo, and Klamath into their territory. I'm not saying it's doubled but I would suspect it's around 1 million.

Actually you're wrong about New Reno. By 2281 it is still one of a few cities in the Core Region that are not part of the NCR. New Reno Wiki Page

Territory[edit]

The New California Republic is a federal union of five states.[3][48] The NCR also has several territorial holdings that are prospective in becoming a state such as territories in northern California, Baja and the Mojave.[49] The list of incorporated states:

• Shady, incorporating Shady Sands, Vault 15 and neighboring NCR settlements.
  • Los Angeles, incorporating Adytum and other settlements in the Boneyard area.
  • Hub, incorporating The Hub, Junktown and other towns.
  • Maxson, originally including Lost Hills, though the status is unknown, due to the ongoing NCR-Brotherhood war.
  • Dayglow, incorporating towns south of the Boneyard.

There are other cities aligned and/or controlled by the NCR, but as of yet not incorporated into an existing state or created as a state's capital:

http://fallout.gamepedia.com/New_California_Republic

I trust Gamepedia over Nukapedia as Gamepedia requires membership in order to edit information which the admins look over. Also the admins at Gamepedia are the ones that started Nukapedia but moved to Gamepedia due to a business dispute.

But if you're still having difficulties believing NR is apart of the NCR take a look at this http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Carter_(Fallout:_New_Vegas)

How would the NCR have jurisdiction or even care about this guys crime if NR isn't a part of the NCR

Edited by sgtKraigO

I trust Gamepedia over Nukapedia as Gamepedia requires membership in order to edit information which the admins look over. Also the admins at Gamepedia are the ones that started Nukapedia but moved to Gamepedia due to a business dispute.

This +1

This Kotaku article from three years back explains why there's two Fallout wikis now:

http://kotaku.com/5876097/fallout-wiki-founder-banned-from-wikia-for-promoting-curse

Like sgtKraigO, I trust The Vault wiki on gamepedia.com. over Nukapedia.

Edited by dangman4ever

• 1 year later...

2 years and I still hope the mod gets made

If your interested in making teh mod a reality, you should contribute. Even if you don't have any modding skill sets, you probably have ideas in regard to new plot lines, how locations would change under a independent new vegas and how other factions would respond. At the very least you probably have a list of features you would like to see implemented. What would you like to see the mod become?

For example are you most interested in changes to teh Lucky 38? Changes in NV proper? Seciritron body guards/combat squads? Over and above clearing out NCR forces (if you choose not to honor the New Vegas Treaty) and eliminating battle conditions, what aspects of the mod interest you the most.

I should mention that I have cut the main quest line (at least for now) of the return of House & the Securitron uprising as well as the secondary Legion storyline. I'd like to focus on creating a environment that reflects this faction ending, before moving on to new stories/campaigns. However I do still welcome suggestions on those plot lines and others as possible material for latter additions.

Honestly,I think that it would be fantastic (potentially unrealistic) I think that Camp Mccarran could be deserted and perhaps the scientists data could be used to continue technological progress? I think that The player could have a choice in opening up the strip to free side residents, the lucky 38 could function as a government building where representatives of towns hold council (Trudy for Goodsprings, Johnson Nash for Primm etc.).

The aspect of the mod that interests me most is the possession of old military posts. I love the idea of moving into the Fort or Mccarran and establishing control

Honestly,I think that it would be fantastic (potentially unrealistic) I think that Camp Mccarran could be deserted and perhaps the scientists data could be used to continue technological progress?

I'll have to hit the wiki, I sort of forgot what they were working on other than the plant vault tech (22?). I think there was a sub topic (in the viva NV NCR) about bringing the agricultural tech into the NCR NCR sharecroppers. It essentially would result in a quest line to track down infected farmers before they became spore carriers as the vault 22 tech is fatally flawed. I think it could be translated just as easily to the INdependent ending. It's essentially a cautionary tale though, with no real provisions made for a beneficial outcome.....but those could be added.

I think that The player could have a choice in opening up the strip to free side residents,

Sounds good.

the lucky 38 could function as a government building where representatives of towns hold council (Trudy for Goodsprings, Johnson Nash for Primm etc.).

How do you see the actual structure of that government? Currently you essentially have a dictator, regardless of whether the courier is benevolent or not. Do you see the representatives as henchmen, or are you looking for some sort of change in the balance of power to create a truly representational government?

One of the story elements I'm rather fond of, addresses power sharing and Yesman. Yesman becomes much more self directed and begins to evolve after the battle of Hoover, however his evolution is at least partly dependent on the courier. If the courier is a cruel and merciless ruler, Yesman observes that human life is has little value other than as a means to an end and will learn treachery (eventually attempting to usurp the courier, and possibly even sanitizing the city of less than perfect human life). However, if the courier is a benevolent ruler, Yesman will learn empathy and the value of human (and other) life under the couriers tutelage. He will devote his time and personal growth to providing the best possible choices to the citizens of New Vegas. Eventually this will result in Yesman becoming the first democratically elected non human/AI Mayor of New Vegas (as the courier was never slated to spend the rest of his/her days in one location). That's a little bit of a diversion from your topic, but it relates to the aspect of self governance and how Yesman can learn the value of NV's (and the surrounding areas) representatives (trudy, Nash) and corresponding citizens, need to be involved in their own destiny. That would be an important aspect of Yesman's development and understanding of democracy and power sharing.

The aspect of the mod that interests me most is the possession of old military posts. I love the idea of moving into the Fort or Mccarran and establishing control

Let me review the order of withdraw. It's a document issue by the House ending and I co-opted it for the independent mod as well. It dictates the locations the NCR must vacate, but it's not comprehensive....there are several locations that are not mentioned. The document states that this is not a comprehensive list, so some locations may still be contested.

Camp McCarran is listed as a location the NCR must vacate (if your not doing the NCR friendly independent ending, ie revoking the treaty of new vegas). I think initially for McCarran it would probably be just securitrons moving in, without a whole lot changing. The fort is probably similar, but I'd like to hear your ideas on how you see both locations after the battle of Hoover.

If Vegas is independent then:

1:Freeside is order and patrolled by Kings

2:Outer walls anf gates of Freeside is guarded by securitrons

3:Main roads are patrolled by securitrons

4:If player chose to keep BoS then they also patrol the roads and

all laser weapons are in their pozession per agreement.(No Silver Rush)

5:Maccaran is now a secritrons base and serves as reapair and rearm base.

Supplise are delivered by train from Vegas and camp has no shortage of them.

(Why NCR couldn't do this?)

6:Primm Goodsprings and Novac are guarded by securitrons.

7:Nipton is getting rebuilt.

If Vegas is independent then:

1:Freeside is order and patrolled by Kings

2:Outer walls anf gates of Freeside is guarded by securitrons

3:Main roads are patrolled by securitrons

Yes these are possible if desired by the player.

4:If player chose to keep BoS then they also patrol the roads and

all laser weapons are in their pozession per agreement.(No Silver Rush)

Yes that is one of the endings of no gods, no masters (independent NV) and may be a point of *contention* for the player. If there are strong ties and an allegiance to the BOS it may not be a problem to cede control of I-15 and 95 to teh BOS, or possibly patrol with Securitrons (smilar to how one of the NCR endings has the BOS and NCR patrolling those locations jointly). Or the courier may decide to push for control of those two freeways.

The BOS will has no authority over the silver rush. There is no actual agreement in the end slides for the BOS to posses all laser weapons (that I'm aware of), rather the BOS commandeers technology on their own authority, especially on trade routes like I-15 & 95 (depending on their ending).

5:Maccaran is now a secritrons base and serves as reapair and rearm base.

Supplise are delivered by train from Vegas and camp has no shortage of them.

(Why NCR couldn't do this?)

Camp McCarran is a fairly secure fortification and it's possible to make it a "home base" or a "securitron base" but it probably wouldn't be the best idea as there are higher priority/value locations. As an example, the lucky 38 mainframe is the weak link to teh couriers power. The couriers military might depends on the securirtrons, which in turn is dependent on the lucky 38 mainframe, so it might be considered of much greater strategic importance (and thus more heavily defended). Hoover being one of the greatest resources in the post war southwest probably has a higher priority than McCarran. If the securitron vault has resources like spare parts, repair facilities etc then the fort also becomes a high value target for aggression. I think those three locations are your most essential locations to protect and should probably receive more military resources. McCarran is a relatively well fortified location, one of the better protected sites in the NV area, but it's not of the same strategic importance of the previous locations mentioned.

6:Primm Goodsprings and Novac are guarded by securitrons.

7:Nipton is getting rebuilt.

Yes securitrons can guard small towns and other locations. Goodsprings and Novac may require a good rep with teh faction, or speech check as some of the settlers (like easy Pete) seem to be resistant to any organized gov "controlling" their town.