Getting DAI Mod Manager and Frosty to work together - is it possible?

Katarsi

After a few hours of attempting to get MM and Frosty working together, I've finally succeeded.

First of all, make sure that both Frosty and DAI executable are running with administrator rights. If they aren't, find the respective .exe files, NOT the shortcuts, right click them, choose Properties, in the window that has just popped out, open Compatibility tab, find and check the 'Run this program as an admintrator' box.

Then, make sure that your DAI isn't in the 'Read only' state. To check, right click the game folder, open Properties, and in the General tab tick 'Read only' box (tbh I'm not sure that it helped the deal, but still did it just in case).

Now, follow the first tutorial in this thread, but I'll add a couple of details from my own experience.

Install your mods with Mod Manager, move your original Patch folder somwhere else, change the name of Patch_ModManagerMerge to Patch, delete the ModManager line from the package.mft in the folder that you've just renamed. You don't have to change the patch version number, at least I didn't have to, it worked fine with the Version 15.

Now, open FrostyMM (remember that it should be running with administrator rights), add your desired mods, and MAKE SURE that they aren't the same mods that you've already installed with ModManager, otherwise it will result in problems, like freezes and crashes or not starting the game at all. For example, I've installed Solas complexion mod with both MM and Frosty and didn' notice it. Game started, I loaded my save at Skyhold and it worked just fine, but when I started running around to check if evefything's working fine, I walked into the room where Solas usually is, and as soon as I entered the room game just froze and I had to close it with Task Manager. When I removed this mod from the MM patch, it all loaded just fine.

When you've imported, applied and arranged your mods, hit Launch. It may take some time and may seem like the process is stuck, when the bar will be filled a little more than the middle, but eventually mod applying window will close and DAI should start running in a few seconds (it usually takes 5-10 seconds on my system).

And you don't have to use v1.0.4.2 Frosty, I use v1.0.5.2 and it works.

Don't forget to delete your ModData folder before every Launch of the game. But for me it wasn't necessary, it loads normally even with ModData folder.

Hope it helps.

Thank you so much for posting these steps! It worked perfectly for me, although I did have to delete the ModData folder in order for the Daimods to install properly.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Don't forget to delete your ModData folder before every Launch of the game. But for me it wasn't necessary, it loads normally even with ModData folder."

Shouldn't need to *unless* you change your mods around. Frosty makes that folder and builds your mods into one big mod there (I can't remember the detail of what it does off hand). If you delete that folder every time, then Frosty has to make it every time and it just slows down starting the game.

If you change your Frosty mods, then it should be dealt with (but don't trust it) automatically, as Frosty knows what it's doing with its files, if you change your DAIMOD files, then definitely clear out ModData for a clean rebuild.

The patch number doesn't matter, but you do need to keep track of it. It's baked into the savefiles, so if you manage to end up with the game thinking it's a lower patch level than the save, then you won't be able to load your game.

Finally you might want to look at https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/2712 for making daimod texture/mesh changes compatible/work with the DLC.

Edited by Tromador

• 5 months later...

So here is how I made DAI Tools Suite and Frosty to work together. I play with both all the time and I have no conflicts - provided that everything is done right.

Let's assume you already have DAI Tools Suite (v.1.0.0.59) installed, and you have set up Frosty Mod Manager - version 1.0.4.2. Later versions don't seem to work, I've tried.

So here goes:

1. Back up the Patch folder from your Update folder in the game directory; save it in some easily accessible place. You should always do this, especially if you wish to change the mods you use with DAI Tools Suite.
  2. Open DAI Tools Suite and install your chosen mods. Be careful not to install mods which you already have in Frosty, to avoid conflicts.
  3. After it's done, delete the Patch folder.
  4. Rename the folder Patch_ModManagerMerge to Patch.
  5. Now open the newly renamed Patch folder and there you'll find package.mft file; open it with Notepad. Delete the bottom line which refers to the Mod Manager and change Version number from 13 to 12. Close and save.
  6. Open Frosty and install your chosen mods. Hit Launch to start the game. And from now on, you're launching the game in Frosty.

Important:

Every time you start the game, Frosty creates the folder ModData in your game directory. It is highly recommended that you delete this folder every time before starting the game again, for stability purpose.

If you wish to change mods imported with Frosty, it's simple to do so by removing them and importing new ones.

However, if you wish to change the mods imported with DAI Tools suite, you must delete the existing Patch folder and then copy back the original Patch which you had previously stashed as a backup. And then you repeat the whole process listed above. And don't forget to delete ModData folder before doing this!

I hope I helped! Happy modding!

Hello! I Rename the folder Patch_ModManagerMerge to Patch and when I delete the Patch folder the DLCs don't work. What should be done?

• 1 month later...

so Frosty has to be Version 12? will it not work with version 13? but if I change it to that it gives me that error about "this save was done with a higher/updated patch". I did the removal of the patch_modmerger.mft but had to increase the versions in order for my game save to load. but frosty mods are not appearing.

What can I do to get the frosty mods to work? Do I need to uninstall and restart the game to make both work? I also dont want to mess anything up with my saves as I have alot of hours.

Probably a long shot since this is from 2 years ago but thought I would reach out anyway :sad:

Also the Frosty Mod Manager I have is v1.0.5.9.. does it have to be the other version??

Edited by QueenOfCrows

so Frosty has to be Version 12? will it not work with version 13? but if I change it to that it gives me that error about "this save was done with a higher/updated patch". I did the removal of the patch_modmerger.mft but had to increase the versions in order for my game save to load. but frosty mods are not appearing.

What can I do to get the frosty mods to work? Do I need to uninstall and restart the game to make both work? I also dont want to mess anything up with my saves as I have alot of hours.

Probably a long shot since this is from 2 years ago but thought I would reach out anyway :sad:

Also the Frosty Mod Manager I have is v1.0.5.9.. does it have to be the other version??

The version of frosty mod manager you have is the most up to date version. You will need this version if you plan to use recently released mods, so you have the correct version of frosty (though this workaround should work on different versions too.)

It doesn't matter if your patch number is 13. The workaround will still work, so long as the patch number in the package.mft file for frosty is the same (frosty has it's own copy of that file under ModData.) If you delete the ModData folder then remerge mods, it also should automatically pick up on the patch number change and align them correctly.

You shouldn't have to uninstall nor restart the game to get the frosty mods to work, either. ^^

Edited by Dmitrias

• 4 weeks later...

So I tried to launch the game on Frosty, after doing all the stuff in the tutorial and I'm getting this message. WTF?

Unable to load DLL 'thirdparty/zlibwapi.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
at Frosty.ModSupport.FrostyModExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass28_0.<Run>b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Frosty.ModSupport.FrostyModExecutor.<Run>d__28.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at FrostyModManager.MainWindow.<launchButton_Click>d__13.MoveNext()
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
I don't know what that means....

Unable to load DLL 'thirdparty/zlibwapi.dll': The specified module could not be found

Frosty Mod Manager's not installed right. That .dll is supposed to be in the thirdparty subdirectory. Try reinstalling, make sure any "use folder names" option is enabled. Also avoid installing into Program Files (x86), try a subdirectory in something like C:\Games or C:\Programs or however you structure things.

Unable to load DLL 'thirdparty/zlibwapi.dll': The specified module could not be found

Frosty Mod Manager's not installed right. That .dll is supposed to be in the thirdparty subdirectory. Try reinstalling, make sure any "use folder names" option is enabled. Also avoid installing into Program Files (x86), try a subdirectory in something like C:\Games or C:\Programs or however you structure things.

I realized the problem and got it to work. I had to remove the inquisition path (the program files/steam/steamapp/dragon age inquisition thing) and then put it back in Frosty. Got it to run, though there was a bit of a lag from the cutscene to the begining where you start moving towards the rift. Hopefully just a fluke. The majority of the mods I installed via DAI have been cosmetic so I don't know if that's a factor or not.

• 4 weeks later...

i got a issue with both dia and frosty have some mod in both frosty and diatools they work prrety good together but now none of them working i mean not running at all i try everything renistalling game or bot diatools&frosty application not runnig i dont know but i crased something now question is if you guys have manager patchfile for overite in game patch file is it working for me ? irealy need help guys ! i preteraite some help
im sorry im not good in english at all :) thanks

• 1 month later...

After a few hours of attempting to get MM and Frosty working together, I've finally succeeded.

First of all, make sure that both Frosty and DAI executable are running with administrator rights. If they aren't, find the respective .exe files, NOT the shortcuts, right click them, choose Properties, in the window that has just popped out, open Compatibility tab, find and check the 'Run this program as an admintrator' box.

Then, make sure that your DAI isn't in the 'Read only' state. To check, right click the game folder, open Properties, and in the General tab tick 'Read only' box (tbh I'm not sure that it helped the deal, but still did it just in case).

Now, follow the first tutorial in this thread, but I'll add a couple of details from my own experience.

Install your mods with Mod Manager, move your original Patch folder somwhere else, change the name of Patch_ModManagerMerge to Patch, delete the ModManager line from the package.mft in the folder that you've just renamed. You don't have to change the patch version number, at least I didn't have to, it worked fine with the Version 15.

Now, open FrostyMM (remember that it should be running with administrator rights), add your desired mods, and MAKE SURE that they aren't the same mods that you've already installed with ModManager, otherwise it will result in problems, like freezes and crashes or not starting the game at all. For example, I've installed Solas complexion mod with both MM and Frosty and didn' notice it. Game started, I loaded my save at Skyhold and it worked just fine, but when I started running around to check if evefything's working fine, I walked into the room where Solas usually is, and as soon as I entered the room game just froze and I had to close it with Task Manager. When I removed this mod from the MM patch, it all loaded just fine.

When you've imported, applied and arranged your mods, hit Launch. It may take some time and may seem like the process is stuck, when the bar will be filled a little more than the middle, but eventually mod applying window will close and DAI should start running in a few seconds (it usually takes 5-10 seconds on my system).

And you don't have to use v1.0.4.2 Frosty, I use v1.0.5.2 and it works.

Don't forget to delete your ModData folder before every Launch of the game. But for me it wasn't necessary, it loads normally even with ModData folder.

Hope it helps.

I followed this to the 'T' and now Frosty Mod is stuck on Applying mods. I'm using version 1.0.5.2 and I put in version 12 in the mft folder. However, the same problem occurred even when using version 13. I don't know where people are getting this version 15 from.