Is it such a bad thing to adhere to lore?

Deleted472477User

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is it bad to want to adhere to the lore of a given game?

• Lore is great as long as you're not cramming it down others' throats
    • Yes! It's a sign of a dull mind. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to mod in anime pony girls with machine guns to Skyrim :P
    • I'm happy as neither side crams their ideas down my throat

WHY folks behave that way isn't really all that important. The fact is, they SHOULDN'T behave that way. I see a fair few mods with anime girls in skimpy outfits, with huge weapons. Do I download them? Nope. Do I comment on them? Maybe, but, my comment will be something to the effect of "good work", if it is particularly well done. 99% of the time, I just breeze right on past. I download mods that suit the way I want to play. Other folks do the same. I think this is an occasion where the golden rule really should apply. If you don't have anything appropriate to say, don't say anything. Just keep on moving. Seems that some folks think their opinions rate higher than others though, and feel it necessary to tell folks to do things 'their way', anything else is a 'waste of talent'. To those folks, I just wave good bye as they get banned. :)

The underlying question is not if it is a bad thing to adhere to lore or not...

That's like getting visibly upset upon learning that someone likes a different flavor of icecream than you.

:pfft: I wouldn't lick that with your tongue. :P

Seems that some folks think their opinions rate higher than others though, and feel it necessary to tell folks to do things 'their way',

I blame the republicans.

:facetious:

Thread title and opening post did appear, to me, as if the OP was acting as an apologist for the lore mongerers.

Seriously though, for me the bottom line is -- in my single player game your opinion is irrelevant.

Beth changes the 'lore' from game to game. There are no cliff Racers in Oblivion, there are no goblins in Skyrim. Lore mongers tend to pick and choose the lore they want to worship while ignoring a lot of things that did not make the transition from one game to the next. :tongue:

Just wanted to point out this isn't true. Cliff Racers are not native species in Cyrodiil (there's even a bard guy who sings about them in Oblivion) but that doesn't mean they suddenly don't exist. Goblins probably have been wiped out in Skyrim by competition from Falmer (they both fill the same niche of creepy underground enemies who raise creepy pets-durzogs in morrowind and rats in cyrodiil). Goblins were created by the Altmer as soldiers but they went feral. There's also the chance that the developers just didn't add them in. Again, doesn't mean they suddenly don't exist.

There's a lot of lore regarding these things scattered in all of the books in the games as well as the gameplay itself. There's even several websites from former and current creators explaining how everything ties together and why.

Of course when you make a fantasy world as vast and complex as The Elder Scrolls there's bound to be some retconning from game to game (you can take Dragonlings from Daggerfall as a good example) but imo they do a much better job of it than any comic book writers have and it makes a nice feeling of solidarity as you move from game to game.

Edited by thekeeperofsecrets

I think it really depends on who you are, some people prefer lore and some people like to run around shooting laser beams at Rainbow Dash while dressed like a cowboy prostitute in the frozen lands of Skyrim. It really shouldn't offend people, nor should people get so defensive, when things are lore constructive or lore destructive. Honestly, it can be fun to have either. At times I prefer things that are lore related and other times I want something completely random just for the heck of it.

There are things on the Nexus sites I don't care for, like Anime mods, but you will NEVER see me trashing on someone's hard work because I don't care for it or because it isn't lore friendly. (And to explain why I don't care for it, some of it seems goofy to me and I don't care for the hairstyles guys have or the often, but not always, slutty outfits, which is my opinion and people shouldn't get mad when people state opinions in a non aggressive way like, but it happens.)

Its just outright stupid for people to behave like this, its like they are a bunch of high school kids (oh wait I'm only just out of HS :tongue: ) who hate someone because they are different. And that is exactly what it is. People bashing on things they don't like, when they could just ignore it or be nice at the very least. Just like a teen or group of teens who are mean to someone for being different.

Yeah, all you people out there behaving like that are immature and stupid.

Oh I just ranted. A lot. :rolleyes: Oops.

Edit: Plus it isn't always easy for people to make lore friendly stuff, lore only goes so far.

Edited by K00L

I think it's very important that developers follow the lore closely, if you're going to make a series of games in the same universe then lore helps to keep that universe coherent from game to game. What people then choose to do with that game is up to them, if someone wants to adhere strictly to the lore then that's fine, what's not fine is telling other people they should think the same way. Anyway a lot of time it isn't lore that they're really complaining about, it that the character possesses breasts and has had a wash, this is because in nerd land only anime characters have breasts and a bar of soap.

The underlying question is not if it is a bad thing to adhere to lore or not...

That's like getting visibly upset upon learning that someone likes a different flavor of icecream than you.

:pfft: I wouldn't lick that with your tongue. :P

Seems that some folks think their opinions rate higher than others though, and feel it necessary to tell folks to do things 'their way',

I blame the republicans.

:facetious:

Thread title and opening post did appear, to me, as if the OP was acting as an apologist for the lore mongerers.

Seriously though, for me the bottom line is -- in my single player game your opinion is irrelevant.

Yeah, I see how it could come off that way. I'll word my posts in the future more carefully, because I didn't intend it that way. Or, not post at all.

The lore-mongers do it for a perfectly simple reason. It's the same reason people rant at mods that have skimpy outfits, not-so-skimpy outfits, etc. They think they have the right to be offended and make their displeasuure known to all. Of course the main reason I like the Nexus so much is their zero-tolerance policy to these guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no issue with lore, it's quite enjoyable to see 'grown' people, get so passionate about what is or is not 'proper' lore. Whatever rocks your boat. But...(in a almost timid voice)..it's just a game. No really, Nirn does not actually exist. There is no lore, Oblivion should be played in whatever manner, the individual chooses to play it.

I tend to largely stick to mods, that kind of keeps the quasi-medieval atmosphere of the vanilla game, but I like skimpy clothing, and my heavily modded Oblivion is probably not very lore friendly. But what the heck, I play to enjoy the experience, and get immersed in the gameplay.

And perhaps I just might decide one day, to get me some anime-girls with machine guns just for the hell of it.

I have no issue with lore, it's quite enjoyable to see 'grown' people, get so passionate about what is or is not 'proper' lore. Whatever rocks your boat. But...(in a almost timid voice)..it's just a game. No really, Nirn does not actually exist. There is no lore, Oblivion should be played in whatever manner, the individual chooses to play it.

I tend to largely stick to mods, that kind of keeps the quasi-medieval atmosphere of the vanilla game, but I like skimpy clothing, and my heavily modded Oblivion is probably not very lore friendly. But what the heck, I play to enjoy the experience, and get immersed in the gameplay.

And perhaps I just might decide one day, to get me some anime-girls with machine guns just for the hell of it.

BLASPHEMER!!!!!! You Shall surely smoke a turd in Oblivion for such a remark! :D

Well, it would be nice if the game company would be consistent with their lore, and have a province that was supposedly a tropical rainforest, instead be temperate forest.......

The lore-mongers do it for a perfectly simple reason. It's the same reason people rant at mods that have skimpy outfits, not-so-skimpy outfits, etc. They think they have the right to be offended and make their displeasuure known to all. Of course the main reason I like the Nexus so much is their zero-tolerance policy to these guys.

No they do it because they don't like it when someone is messing with a game that they are playing. They are generally very aggressive and very protective and want people to play the game that they are playing. But there is nothing wrong with messing around with them to see their reaction :teehee: