Do you use Steam Workshop for your mods?

CaseyTheVA

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Steam Workshop?

• Yes
    • No

I like workshop. It's very user-friendly, allows for quick install and doesn't host adult content. Very safe. It also, beyond banning nudity and sexual content, is not so strict compared to the nexus, you'd be surprised. I only ever use and must resort to nexus for modding questions. I hope more people will use the steam workshop, for smaller mods, or non-veteran modders, at least. That's my naive opinion on the steam workshop.

I don't use workshop for a number of reasons, but the main reason is that it requires the use of the standard launcher to download and update the mods, which, whenever I use that launcher, it decides to change my video settings, every single time. Very tedious to go back through the .ini files and fix everything again.

I like workshop. It's very user-friendly, allows for quick install and doesn't host adult content. Very safe. It also, beyond banning nudity and sexual content, is not so strict compared to the nexus, you'd be surprised. I only ever use and must resort to nexus for modding questions. I hope more people will use the steam workshop, for smaller mods, or non-veteran modders, at least. That's my naive opinion on the steam workshop.

The Workshop's End-User Friendliness is why I bother to use it at all; as a modder, I prefer Nexus (though I have personal gripes here with the site, too). I keep my mod mirrored on the Workshop and have made changes to the mod specifically to support additional Workshop streamlining as opposed to maintenance of multiple ESPs.

I use both (and TESAlliance) since I can't find any reason not to spread out my work in case of a website failure.

At TESAlliance, you might get a tenth as many downloads as on Skyrim Nexus. But that is still more downloads than you would have had without it. You would probably get more downloads at Planet Elder Scrolls than TESAlliance.

100% Nexus. I literally haven't even opened Steam Workshop.

Without the Nexus community I wouldn't know how to mod - period.

99% of the knowledge I have has come from 'reverse engineering' FONV mods that I got here.

The fact that I only upload (and download) here is out of loyalty and respect for the fact that I wouldn't exist as a modder without it.

(I also have loyalty to Bethesda, just for putting the tools out there for me to do this, but Steam is not Bethesda, if the official mod site were Beth's not Steam's then I'd probably use that too, but Steam is an unnecessary middleman that I cut out at every legal given opportunity).

100% Nexus. I literally haven't even opened Steam Workshop.

Without the Nexus community I wouldn't know how to mod - period.

99% of the knowledge I have has come from 'reverse engineering' FONV mods that I got here.

The fact that I only upload (and download) here is out of loyalty and respect for the fact that I wouldn't exist as a modder without it.

(I also have loyalty to Bethesda, just for putting the tools out there for me to do this, but Steam is not Bethesda, if the official mod site were Beth's not Steam's then I'd probably use that too, but Steam is an unnecessary middleman that I cut out at every legal given opportunity).

I don't use mods, nor do I have any to upload, but a lot of these posts in this thread mention loyalty, and that's certainly admirable and something that's degrading in society at least where I live, but two things come to mind when I hear this.

Starters... to imply that loyalty is a deciding factor implies that there's a definite competition to be won between the Nexus and Steam.... do you guys really believe this is the case? Steam's limitations have been mentioned in this thread, but judging by the mods and numbers, I would have to say it's been a success, so I don't see it going anywhere, and it's backing by Bethesda certainly helps.

Second, and I'm not suggesting anyone stop modding or supporting for nexus, but I'm just saying.. everyone has to start somewhere. A better product is a better product. I'm not saying steam is or isn't, but to not even try it out of "loyalty" to Nexus, doesn't seem like a very good idea to me. Steam workshop is new, and it's going to change some and evolve some like everything does, and at some point they may address those limitations. I mean Skyrim's only been out for 7 months. I don't know when Steam Workshop started, but I would guess around the time of the creation kit's release which was Feb, IIRC, so that would be about 4 months only. Hardly time enough to expect a major overhaul.

Steam vs nexus:

Steam - No support for different or older versions, Nexus - Has Support

Steam - All files are automatically installed, which means that irregular mods are impossible to upload, Nexus - All types of installation are available

Steam - Very limited mod troubleshooting and ordering utitlities, Nexus - You download it, and use whatever utilities you please, not some force-fed automatic installer

Steam - Very limited file search system, Nexus - Search system has been in development for years and is very capable

Steam - No nudity allowed, Nexus - Nudity allowed (I'm not exactly pro nudity, but I do not see the point of banning it when players get to choose wether it is in their game or not. The game has a bloody M rating ffs)

Steam - Most users do not comprehend mods, because steam does everything for them, which is likely to results in bugs, which will be blamed on the modder, Nexus - users require some understanding of what mods are and how they work

This has nothing to do with loyalty to me, it's just that the nexus is far better for handeling mods, downloads, ect. Also, I really really hate it when things get forcefed down my throat, not just as in utilities, but also the fact that there is no such thing as a simple popup box asking wether I want to check for updates or not.

Imo, steam really focusses on newbie players, who want a simple one-click install and then never worry about the mod again, but that's simply not how mods work. If they work on improving the system, yeah, I'll gladly use the workshop, but now it's jsut not capable.