⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Do you use Steam Workshop for your mods?

CaseyTheVA

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Steam Workshop?

• Yes
    • No

I know what you mean Stemin, perhaps I can explain where I'm coming from a little more fully.

It's not so much that there's a "competition" in my eyes, as much as I just flat out despise Steam. For a host of reasons that you can find in threads here, there and everywhere.

As I say, if the 'official' site were actually directly owned/run by Bethesda, I'd probably use that too, but not while it's on Steam, until they force me to, which will probably come eventually.

Actually, when I say "loyalty", I also mean "giving something back". I took from here, so I'm putting back into here in the small ways that I can (uploading mods, making stuff by request where I can, answering noob questions if I can etc). Karma. I've taken nothing from Steam that they didn't charge me for, so I don't really feel compelled to "put back" into Steam.

Because of all this, the only reason to upload there, for me, would be if I cared about total downloads, which I don't. So, it's not so much that there's a competition in my eyes, I just have no positive reason to use Steam Workshop, and several reasons to boycott Steam at every opportunity.

I want the Nexus to survive, grow and prosper, and I want Steam to wither and die, but as separate entities, for their own independent reasons. My loyalty to Nexus doesn't create my hatred of Steam, and vice versa.

I cant say i understand how you can hate a website as much as some of these people but i will say that steam sucks in almost everyway that matters to me where as the nexus is just easy to use and has much better mods on it

What I don't get about a about steam workshop is that they made the mod being downloaded, installed when we run the launcher then play the game. That is ridiculously strange or similar like the user being manipulated by steam. Where is the freedom? How actually the mod works? If I start steam for starting point in modding my skyrim, there is no chance I could make a mod.

My conclusion about the policy between steam and nexus,

Steam :

"Limit the user capability by limit their access to the knowledge about the mod. We just have to keep them as stupid as possible. That way we could fool the user so they wouldn't have any clue that they actually could have the same mod in other place or apply the mod by them self, Bwa ha ha hah ha..." :laugh: :pirate:

Most people are not that stupid, or are they? >>>(7 votes)

Nexus :

As long as you know the rule and limit to yourself, What is your imagination? Share to million people here in nexus :thumbsup: " You can apply the mod to your preference

Edited by xp32

I don't use workshop mainly because it updates mods automatically. I'd (much) rather be in control of that myself. There's a few mods I run currently where I'm still using an older version because it suits my purpose better. That's not an option on the workshop. Plus, I often like to manually d/l a mod first to scope out the files just to see what it's all about. Also not an option on the workshop.

• 1 year later...

cant stand how workshop works

Agreed, Also the easiest way to mess up your saves, bloat your Data Folder (When you unsubscibe steam just leaves the files on your pc.) I HATE THE WORKHOP WITH A PASSION! BURN IT TO THE GROUND!!!

If it ain't on Nexus - it dont exist as far as I'm concerned.

I use about a total of 5, because Steam is limited and the Nexus Community of MOD work is far better. Steam MODs tend to not be updated as quickly as Nexus.