Are you having constant exterior CTDs? I've FINALLY found your sol

yafi

@Keldrath

A user posted back a page that the scripts in the source files are somehow messing with the game. Try this and see if it helps:

EDIT: This will only work with a new game as the psc's are hardcoded into a save game when you start

PSC's are Papyrus Script source Files used by the CK for some reason those scripts are causing CTD's but the game does not need them those PSC's can be moved to a temp folder when playing and if you use the CK you can move them back. I have used this procedure and nothing breaks in game by not having those PSC's in the data\scripts\source folder. PEX is the compiled scripts PSC's are the Script Source.

And doing that will not cause CTD's

Actually what I do is move the entire source folder to another location when playing and have had nothing break in game.

EDIT: That will only work with a new game as the psc's are hardcoded into a save game when you start

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mike2977

To validate your game's files, go to your library in Steam, right click on the game you wish to validate( in this case Skyrim ), go to properties at the bottom of the menu, click on the local files tab, then click on verify integrity of game cache files. This will reinstall files that were changed and/or missing. Note that if you do this, mods that made changes to certain things will need to be re-installed.

Thanks! They sure hide that, don't they. One would think it would be a drop down menu from the Steam menu. Working it now.

@Keldrath

A user posted back a page that the scripts in the source files are somehow messing with the game. Try this and see if it helps:

EDIT: This will only work with a new game as the psc's are hardcoded into a save game when you start

PSC's are Papyrus Script source Files used by the CK for some reason those scripts are causing CTD's but the game does not need them those PSC's can be moved to a temp folder when playing and if you use the CK you can move them back. I have used this procedure and nothing breaks in game by not having those PSC's in the data\scripts\source folder. PEX is the compiled scripts PSC's are the Script Source.

And doing that will not cause CTD's

Actually what I do is move the entire source folder to another location when playing and have had nothing break in game.

EDIT: That will only work with a new game as the psc's are hardcoded into a save game when you start

I don't even have a scripts folder in my data folder though.

@mike2977

To validate your game's files, go to your library in Steam, right click on the game you wish to validate( in this case Skyrim ), go to properties at the bottom of the menu, click on the local files tab, then click on verify integrity of game cache files. This will reinstall files that were changed and/or missing. Note that if you do this, mods that made changes to certain things will need to be re-installed.

Thanks! They sure hide that, don't they. One would think it would be a drop down menu from the Steam menu. Working it now.

Ok, so I used the NMM and uninstalled ALL mods....sigh! I mourn the loss of my character and her 5 followers.

Then I cleared my cache as recommended.

I started a new game and got through the introduction and all the way to Riverwood. I saved game and exited normally. No crashes, etc.

But...when I checked my logs, I had a very large log (probably about 100 lines) with all sorts of errors posted. Some I had never seen before about a dragon actor script:

AnimEvent: DragonLandEffect delivered by Dragon ([dragonactorscript < (00032DB7)>])

and a ton of actor base errors like this:

[defaultSetStageTRIGSpecificActor < (000AA79D)>] didn't trigger for base actor [ActorBase < (000F778F)>] <> [ActorBase < (000654E5)>

Some weapons rack errors:

DARYL - [WeaponRackActivateSCRIPT < (00093626)>] running OnCellLoad() and AlreadyInit = False

Some combat errors like this:

error: (FF000BC8): Actor has no AI process, cannot start combat.

stack:

[ (FF000BC8)].Actor.StartCombat() - "<native>" Line ?

[MQ101 (0003372B)].QF_MQ101_0003372B.Fragment_269() - "QF_MQ101_0003372B.psc" Line 2450

and the last lines of the log:

hawing...

[07/17/2012 - 10:24:40PM] DARYL - [WeaponRackActivateSCRIPT < (00084CF4)>] running OnCellLoad() and AlreadyInit = False

[07/17/2012 - 10:24:40PM] DARYL - [WeaponRackActivateSCRIPT < (00084CF4)>] The TriggerMarker is None

[07/17/2012 - 10:24:40PM] DARYL - [WeaponRackActivateSCRIPT < (00084CF4)>] finishing OnCellLoad() and AlreadyInit = False

[07/17/2012 - 10:32:16PM] VM is freezing...

[07/17/2012 - 10:32:16PM] VM is frozen

[07/17/2012 - 10:32:17PM] Saving game...

[07/17/2012 - 10:32:17PM] VM is thawing...

[07/17/2012 - 10:32:30PM] VM is freezing...

[07/17/2012 - 10:32:30PM] VM is frozen

[07/17/2012 - 10:32:30PM]

Mind you, this did not result in a freeze or CTD. I had a normal exit to desktop from the game.

Any idea where all these errors come from? Is it normal for a clean game to generate these?

@ Mike2977:

Mike, did you double-check your data file after you uninstalled your mods with NMM?

MOST of the time, NMM will clear all related files from you data, but I had a few instances when some mod files still lingered in my data folders, scripts, sounds or even textures...

As long as you had deleted all the mods you loved and started a fresh game, you might as well have completely uninstalled and reinstalled Skyrim? (my understanding is if you kept your save games in a separate folder, you could still open them after a fresh install - but I may be wrong about this...)

Those aren't all necessarily errors. Some of them may be informational debug messages. If it doesn't explicitly say "error", then consider it at most a warning. I've never come across a significant piece of software that didn't encounter conditions that it may not have been expecting, and spew all sorts of text into log files. As long as it's handled gracefully, it's not a real concern. Those DARYL messages are from a developer named Daryl who worked on the weapon racks.

I've played this current character for about 40 hours with very very few crashes, but now I'm getting one every few minutes. Every single time it happens my papyrus log looks like this, in its last few lines:

[07/16/2012 - 09:03:29PM] error: (000C6963): cannot find variable named fToggleBlend.

stack:

[ (000C6963)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.SetAnimationVariableFloat() - "<native>" Line ?

[ (000C6963)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.OnLoad() - "FXSetBlendVariableScript.psc" Line 38

[07/16/2012 - 09:03:29PM] error: (000C6984): cannot find variable named fToggleBlend.

stack:

[ (000C6984)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.SetAnimationVariableFloat() - "<native>" Line ?

[ (000C6984)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.OnLoad() - "FXSetBlendVariableScript.psc" Line 38

[07/16/2012 - 09:03:30PM] error: (000C6973): cannot find variable named fToggleBlend.

stack:

[ (000C6973)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.SetAnimationVariableFloat() - "<native>" Line ?

[ (000C6973)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.OnLoad() - "FXSetBlendVariableScript.psc" Line 38

[07/16/2012 - 09:03:30PM] error: (000C6982): cannot find variable named fToggleBlend.

stack:

[ (000C6982)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.SetAnimationVariableFloat() - "<native>" Line ?

[ (000C6982)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.OnLoad() - "FXSetBlendVariableScript.psc" Line 38

The last line is ALWAYS [ (000C6982)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.OnLoad() - "FXSetBlendVariableScript.psc" Line 38

It always, always, ALWAYS ends at line 38.

Anyone know what this could mean?

More detailed explanation here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/731058-ctds-in-a-very-particular-space-outside-of-riften/

Anyone?

@ Mike2977:

Mike, did you double-check your data file after you uninstalled your mods with NMM?

MOST of the time, NMM will clear all related files from you data, but I had a few instances when some mod files still lingered in my data folders, scripts, sounds or even textures...

As long as you had deleted all the mods you loved and started a fresh game, you might as well have completely uninstalled and reinstalled Skyrim? (my understanding is if you kept your save games in a separate folder, you could still open them after a fresh install - but I may be wrong about this...)

My next step will be to uninstall everything with Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html), which removes all game and data files as well as cleaning up the registry. I'm going to move the .ini files as edited for modding so that I don't have to search down the proper changes later. I have all the NMM mods downloaded, but uninstalled. My plan is to completely start over and enable log tracking and see if I get similar results. I hadn't enabled papyrus logs when I first started as I had no idea I'd need them. I was just surprised to see all the entries when the game itself didn't crash.

@Keldrath

Hmm, well then all I can suggest is turning off that anti-freeze( maybe it is ironically freezing your game? ) and disabling other mods as well to see if that is an issue. Also, some .ini cinfigurations can make your game unstable if set incorrectly, or just plainly set a certain way sometime produces instabilities.