[LE] Rochebere- A brand new city- Coming Soon

Rochebere needs you!

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/8112/propaganda01.jpg

A very fitting image indeed!

I am in need of some imaginative people to give me some creative ideas regarding the side-quests in Rochebere. I have better ideas when it comes to large, dramatic quest-lines, but as for little singular quests my mind has run dry. Watch the end of the video below for more information!

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amount of work that you all have dedicated to this project is impressive. It strikes me as a nice balance of Cyrodiilic and Nordic culture, though it's a fair bit dense, so it'd probably need some sort of rationale behind it. I also wanted to mention that the voice actors sound near-monotonous in the trailer - they're all heavy on the foreboding tones. If it's not too late I'd like to hear some more energy and ferocity.

Thanks! Like I've said before, it really helps to keep me motivated when people give me support to carry on! The voice actors are all wonderful people who Ikve enjoyed working with- they've put in a lot of work to make the characters perfect. There are hundreds more lines in the mod itself, not to mention the other voice actors' characters, so hopefully you will like what you her in the final mod! Oh, and I'm not sure if I'm being stupid, but what do you mean by rationale? Like lore and backstory?

Yeah, just a little backstory to explain why the city's built up vertically. Is there a geographic limit on space? Is there a river which made it more convenient for people to stay in the city? Was there some brilliant architect which established the city's concept for such tall homes (from typical standards). Things like that.

Is this city built on the Skyrim landmass or is based it on a new map (new worldspace), like Solstheim? When Skyrim came out I had lots of plans for a total conversion. It is a little island, a rock in the middle of the ocean. The city built around this little mountain, it has it's own mine, docks, fortresses for the city guard, the noble district, the common disctrict with the merchants and the tavern, the necropolis. I had even plans for the ruling noble families, the council. It was a remote island between two continents. A resting place for the merchant ships. And stormy place with dark secrets. :cool:

Sadly constructing a city like this takes a lots of efforts, time and creativity. To be a really enjoyable story it should has a multi-choice quest system. For example you can join specific guilds or houses, but if you open a door a few others will close forever. Your actions should have more impact to the world than in the vanilla Skyrim and that makes a really really messy web of script. Ah, but let's talk about your mod instead of my never born one. :rolleyes:

Edited by orwen

The amount of work that you all have dedicated to this project is impressive. It strikes me as a nice balance of Cyrodiilic and Nordic culture, though it's a fair bit dense, so it'd probably need some sort of rationale behind it. I also wanted to mention that the voice actors sound near-monotonous in the trailer - they're all heavy on the foreboding tones. If it's not too late I'd like to hear some more energy and ferocity.

Thanks! Like I've said before, it really helps to keep me motivated when people give me support to carry on! The voice actors are all wonderful people who Ikve enjoyed working with- they've put in a lot of work to make the characters perfect. There are hundreds more lines in the mod itself, not to mention the other voice actors' characters, so hopefully you will like what you her in the final mod! Oh, and I'm not sure if I'm being stupid, but what do you mean by rationale? Like lore and backstory?

Yeah, just a little backstory to explain why the city's built up vertically. Is there a geographic limit on space? Is there a river which made it more convenient for people to stay in the city? Was there some brilliant architect which established the city's concept for such tall homes (from typical standards). Things like that.

That's fine then! I have a whole timeline of the important events of the city dating back to the third era, explaining its culture, architecture and independence.

Hello, I just found out your mods and it is quite amazing. Then I saw you asking for some help and I did a little thinking and come out with some ideas. But how do I send them to you?

Feel free to send me any ideas you have via PM or post them on this thread. I'm sure everyone else would love to hear your ideas too!

Is this city built on the Skyrim landmass or is based it on a new map (new worldspace), like Solstheim? When Skyrim came out I had lots of plans for a total conversion. It is a little island, a rock in the middle of the ocean. The city built around this little mountain, it has it's own mine, docks, fortresses for the city guard, the noble district, the common disctrict with the merchants and the tavern, the necropolis. I had even plans for the ruling noble families, the council. It was a remote island between two continents. A resting place for the merchant ships. And stormy place with dark secrets. :cool:

Sadly constructing a city like this takes a lots of efforts, time and creativity. To be a really enjoyable story it should has a multi-choice quest system. For example you can join specific guilds or houses, but if you open a door a few others will close forever. Your actions should have more impact to the world than in the vanilla Skyrim and that makes a really really messy web of script. Ah, but let's talk about your mod instead of my never born one. :rolleyes:

Shame you never made your mod, sounds like a nice idea! Anyway the city is build on a large piece of land on and around the borders of Skyrim, Cyrodiil and Hammerfell. You would think that this would make it a well known city, but after the battle of independence took place in the city at the start of the 4E, the Imperial Empire wiped almost all knowledge of the city from existence, meaning as generations passed, the city became forgotten, despite its size. Regarding the questline, there are several moral-choices in the questline, which I have tried to make affect lots of other things, but it's pretty hard when you want to players to get as much content out of the mod as possible. As an example, I originally considered making the 'bad' ending so that it leaves no NPC's in the city, and it is left in ruins. Although it was a cool idea, the city would be worthless to the player afterwards. :thumbsup:

How about you take Jaradin's request for more lore and backstory and turn it in a quest?

Perhaps there is a city-guard or a local scholar who offers to give the new visitor a city tour against a small fee. I think it would be a nice way to learn about the history of the city in combination with getting a general orientation and perhaps some rumors the player can decide to give a closer look. - Perhaps the citizens of Rochbere don't really know that much about their town's history themselves and after the initial city tour, the player can help said scholar to unravel some of the town's mysteries and history. As a quest reward the scholar could give the player a new volume of his "History of Rochbere" whenever another mystery was unraveled and you could add a little museums that slowly fills up along with the player's progress in the quests related to the town.

Edited by Anska

How about you take Jaradin's request for more lore and backstory and turn it in a quest?

Perhaps there is a city-guard or a local scholar who offers to give the new visitor a city tour against a small fee. I think it would be a nice way to learn about the history of the city in combination with getting a general orientation and perhaps some rumors the player can decide to give a closer look. - Perhaps the citizens of Rochbere don't really know that much about their town's history themselves and after the initial city tour, the player can help said scholar to unravel some of the town's mysteries and history. As a quest reward the scholar could give the player a new volume of his "History of Rochbere" whenever another mystery was unraveled and you could add a little museums that slowly fills up along with the player's progress in the quests related to the town.

I'm not going to lie, I absolutely love that idea! It's a convient way to put all the lore and backstory I have into the game in an interesting way that the player will want to partake in. Thanks!

Shame you never made your mod, sounds like a nice idea! Anyway the city is build on a large piece of land on and around the borders of Skyrim, Cyrodiil and Hammerfell. You would think that this would make it a well known city, but after the battle of independence took place in the city at the start of the 4E, the Imperial Empire wiped almost all knowledge of the city from existence, meaning as generations passed, the city became forgotten, despite its size. Regarding the questline, there are several moral-choices in the questline, which I have tried to make affect lots of other things, but it's pretty hard when you want to players to get as much content out of the mod as possible. As an example, I originally considered making the 'bad' ending so that it leaves no NPC's in the city, and it is left in ruins. Although it was a cool idea, the city would be worthless to the player afterwards. :thumbsup:

So it's a long forgotten city. How's about the trading in Rochebere? Can the people produce all of their own goods? Are there merchants from Skyrim? Or maybe is there only one greedy merchant who kept the city's existence in secret for his own good (and mostly for his wealth)?

What do the citizen eat? Fish from rivers? Wheat from farmlands? Are there any temples in the city? Could the player join any cults? Is there any chance to gain political power by ranking up in different factions? Is there any bigger graveyard around the city? If so It sholuld be quite big (probably bigger than the 'biggest' one in Falreath).

Let's collect the factions for the quest. You have probably planned the City Guard already, and the city should have it's own rats beneath the surface. Maybe there is a court wizard in the town, for mage quests.

So it's a long forgotten city. How's about the trading in Rochebere? Can the people produce all of their own goods? Are there merchants from Skyrim? Or maybe is there only one greedy merchant who kept the city's existence in secret for his own good (and mostly for his wealth)?

What do the citizen eat? Fish from rivers? Wheat from farmlands? Are there any temples in the city? Could the player join any cults? Is there any chance to gain political power by ranking up in different factions? Is there any bigger graveyard around the city? If so It sholuld be quite big (probably bigger than the 'biggest' one in Falreath).

Let's collect the factions for the quest. You have probably planned the City Guard already, and the city should have it's own rats beneath the surface. Maybe there is a court wizard in the town, for mage quests.

That's a lot of questions, so I'll do my best to answer them all without filling the page! First off, I'm going to try and explain the city's history to you.

Rochebere was first established in 3E 352, when Imperial travellers set up a small trading site on the borders of Skyrim, Cyrodiil and Hammerfell. By the time of the Oblivion crisis the city had expanded to the size of a village, but unfortunately during this time the daedra attacked the settlement, leaving only rubble and a handful of survivors in their wake.

Later this year, a family of Nordic and Imperial heritage, the Thesian's, flee from Cyrodiil seeking peace. After days of travelling, they arrive at the ruins of the village and learn of the devastation that occurred there. Sympathising for the townsfolk who lost their families and homes, the Thesian's ignite the rebirth of Rochebere. In the year 4E 04 the settlement had been rebuilt into a small, peaceful city. The townsfolk who resided there elected the honourable Thesians' to rule over them, to show their gratitude towards the family.

A year later, the city made an alliance with the Imperial Empire, which stated that Rochebere would be recognised as a city and would abide by their laws, on the condition that the city was not exploited for the benefit of the Empire.

Over the coming years a flood of new life came to Rochebere, seeking new opportunities, which led to the city expanding into the metropolis it is today. By the year 4E 31, the Imperials had become concerned with the power the city now held, and had begun to feel that the city could become a potential threat if Rochebere continued to expand at this alarming rate. To solve this, the Empire planned to overthrow the current ruler of Rochebere, and enforce oppressive and unfair new laws on the people of the city hoping that it would decrease their prosperity. After a failed assassination attempt on Caspius Thesian, the cities' current ruler, the loyal citizens of Rochebere successfully pushed Imperial forces from the city in an attempt to claim their freedom. However, this was just the tip of the iceberg.

The Empire sent a new wave of forces to the city, resulting in a brutal conflict which took place for four years. Eventually, in the year 3E 45, The Imperials' abandoned their war with Rochebere. However, the empire destroyed any prior knowledge of Rochebere out of spite after this, leaving the city to become forgotten to the people of Tamriel. Caspius Thesian was titled the first 'Jarl' of Rochebere, honouring the families Nordic heritage.

Now... onto your other questions...

Q)How's about the trading in Rochebere?

A)The city is divided into 3 main districts- Central (also commonly referred to as simply 'Rochebere'), Residential and Countryside. A large river, named the river Wolven, flows from the Countryside district all the way through to the end of Central Rochebere. Many supplies, such as wheat, vegetables and meat are produced in the fertile soils of the countryside, and are transported along the River Wolven to the docks in central Rochebere, ready to be unloaded and sold by the various merchants in the city.

Q)Can the people produce all of their own goods?

A)Often the citizens have no need to produce their own goods, and instead purchase them from the merchants in the city, who either produce/craft their own products or buy them from farmers in the countryside, as mentioned above.

Q)Are there merchants from Skyrim?

A)The merchants in the city are from all parts of Tamriel, but many of them were born and raised in the city, with only the occasional travelling trader stumbling across the city.

Q)Or maybe is there only one greedy merchant who kept the city's existence in secret for his own good (and mostly for his wealth)?

A)In many cases the merchants that come across the city choose to stay there, as they tend to make lots of money by selling their goods to the vast amounts of people in Rochebere, and thus have no need to keep the city secret (since they live there).

Q)What do the citizen eat? Fish from rivers? Wheat from farmlands?

A)Everything is grown in the countryside and transported into the main city ready to be sold. So that can include wheat and fish, yes.

Q)Are there any temples in the city?

A)The Rochebere chapel stands in the outskirts of the city. The priests there encourage the worship of all the nine divines.

Q)Could the player join any cults?

A)There are currently no 'cults' in the mod as such, however I am planning to add a small mysterious group inspired by the Freemasons in reality. If I add this little faction, there will probably be only one quest which will be to join the cult. However, once you are a member they will be able to help remove your bounty or criminality using certain methods, and there will probably be radiant objectives for the player to eliminate a randomly generated guard or target to remove another members bounty. There is also the secret guild 'The Guardians', who are the benevolent defenders of the people and do their best to top unlawful deeds that the guards cannot always prevent, such as murders, slavery and rape. The Guardian's guild will have a full length questline released as an expansion after the initial release of the mod. As you can guess, there is a contrast between these two groups, so it will be likely that I shall make the player only able join one of the two.

Q)Is there any chance to gain political power by ranking up in different factions?

A)The player can become a wealthy landlord by purchasing certain property in the city (and change the way a few key NPC's react to you) but as it currently stands there is no way to gain 'political power'.

Q)Is there any bigger graveyard around the city? If so It sholuld be quite big (probably bigger than the 'biggest' one in Falreath).

A)There is a creepy and isolated graveyard just off the countryside district, but is is blocked off during the events of the Rochebere questline. I don't want to spoil it too much for you, but the player has to get there via the sewers as part of the main quest.

Q)Let's collect the factions for the quest. You have probably planned the City Guard already, and the city should have it's own rats beneath the surface. Maybe there is a court wizard in the town, for mage quests.

A)Like I mentioned, the main 'Faction' is the Guardian's guild, which is joinable. There is obviously the guards too, but they are not joinable. Another faction is this contraband-y sort of group that have a small hideout in the sewers where they can trade illegal things (notably drugs). They are non-hostile and willing to trade with you, but if you report anything to the guards or decide to attack a member of the gang, they will become hostile to you and no longer trade with you. There is also a building in central Rochebere where fighters can go and boast about their deeds, but at the moment there are no quests, but a couple of radiant miscellaneous objectives. As for mages there is no group, but the owner of the spell book shop has a basement sanctuary dedicated to wizards, which can be entered for a small fee, and once inside the player can speak and learn with other mages who reside there. There is also a similar feature for archers, but this can be joined for free. There is a run down basement in the residential district where people can go to compete in the fully functional archery range and earn money from doing well.

*Phew!* Was that enough information? ;)

First part sent, for some reason when I tried to sent it yesterday it didnt worked.

I kinda went a bit overboard and ended chaining several ideas for quest into a "hidden" storyline. Once I clean them a bit ill sent them to you.