suggestion for new Endorcement (vs) Downloading

colourwheel

It is my belief the user base of the Nexus comminuty is become beyond spoiled when it comes to things from Tag blocking/filtering, NMM, file tracking, Auto updating files etc...

I have a new suggestion since a lot of the new feature that have been introduced to the site and become reality.

The common User will donwload a mod using NMM, have the mod automatically update, And never Vote or endorse the files they use. It would be interesting if we could have a change to the endorsement system based on unique download traffic and Based on a users account and IP. if they download a file the file should be automatically endorsed. If the user wishes to take the time to stop using the mod and unendorse it then they can have the freedom to do so after. Remember this idea would be based on,,, Unique Download traffic + user ID + IP.

This is a more encouraging way to show support for the community authors. because lots of times Besides seeing how much download traffic a files is getting, Endorsements are really the only reward that shows users are happy with their work.

Edited by colourwheel

I see where you're coming from but personally I disagree with this. If it operated that way round I would assume all my endorsements were due to people's laziness. As it stands I'm really proud of my endorsements because I know people have been proactive in giving them to me.

It means more that someone has gone out of their way to do something to show appreciation.

It was just a suggestive idea that can be evolved into something workable.

Someone mention to me that if a feature like this was to be practical. that people who use NMM (since honestly i think they are the lazy users most of the time) there should be a notice that lets the user know after a certain amount of time if they wish to keep an endorse or not.

I honestly believe one reason why user tend to neglect endorsing is because they don't care. They already have their mod installed and the auto update feature is on.... no reason to return to the mod page, using an authors work for years without actaully showing any appreciation for helping to make their game better.

Edited by colourwheel

I can fully understand you. There may be various reasons for people not to endorse. Not necessarily laziness or ignorance. If I used, let's say 150 mods at a time (which I don't do), I would surely forget to endorse the one or other, even if it's a great mod and I used it for a long time.

So a reminder (that can't be turned off) is a practical suggestion, but in the end, it's peoples personal choice to endorse or not. That makes an endorsement even more worthy.

I can fully understand you. There may be various reasons for people not to endorse. Not necessarily laziness or ignorance. If I used, let's say 150 mods at a time (which I don't do), I would surely forget to endorse the one or other, even if it's a great mod and I used it for a long time.

So a reminder (that can't be turned off) is a practical suggestion, but in the end, it's peoples personal choice to endorse or not. That makes an endorsement even more worthy.

this is true I do support it should be the users choice to endorse or not yet the inequality of actaul Unique download traffic (vs) endorsements show the system as it is still far from perfect.

I see some mods that have a total of over 50,000+ unique downloads and only have maybe an average of 100 endorsements. I can't believe only an average of 100 people who have downloaded a mod are the only ones who truely love it.

Edited by colourwheel

This is just my personal opinion, but I generally don't endorse a mod until after I have used it for long enough to gauge the quality of the mod and it's usefulness or the value it adds to my game. I usually like to give some reasons for my endorsement or a mini review. Downloading doesn't equal my approval ... that is something explicitly given via the endorsement button.