Forum issues?

AlfredTetzlaff

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having the same problem with read forum topics showing up as unread.

This happens in both Firefox and Chrome, so it's probably not a browser issue.

Nothing I've read today has yet reverted to unread, but it's been less than an hour, so that could still happen.

It would be good if we could get an idea of whether this might continue to happen, so we'll know whether to keep a close eye on time stamps while we're browsing.

I turned off a feature last night that stopped this working across multiple computers, so if you read a thread on one PC/phone/tablet/laptop and move to another device it will think you haven't read the thread. It was causing some quite big performance issues with the sites. Could this be the issue?

After reading this thread I went back in to the Feedback forum to check it showed as read, and it did. Can you confirm it shows as read for you now, or does it still have that yellow icon next to it?

Yes your reply does show as read if I go back in to the thread after reading it and then exiting.

But as you say the watched content topic between different devices is now totally out of sync.

This is a real pain for me as my daily reading is roughly split 40/60 percent between a tablet and desktop PC.

It now makes keeping track of threads very difficult. This is not helped by old threads that I have marked to watch starting to re-appear, even though the last messages were posted and read months ago.

I am having the problem on a single computer (although I ALSO check the Nexus on my smartphone.)

Just for example, I had already read this topic through a link from another one. Went back to the Main "Nexus Forums" page using the link at the top (not the back-button or other cached copy) and it was marked as unread again.

Went to the Steam Worksup discussion topic and added a reply to a post there. Back to the Main page and that thread was marked as unread again.

Lastly, tried the "Mark all as Read" blue-folder icon for a number of forums I don't frequent. All appeared to get tagged corectly, until I left the page. Again, all now unread. :rolleyes:

All this using IE9, with no changes on my browser settings since things were working normally. :blink:

This more speedy approach uses cookies on your own computer to track your read and unread topics (hence why it won't work across multiple platforms). It sounds like, for some reason, your computer/browser isn't allowing this cookie to be created.

I am also using only a single computer for all of my forum activities and 95% of my mod browsing. (That other 5% is when I visit a friend and wanna show off some mods.)

Looks like the topics I read yesterday in Firefox and/or Chrome are incorrectly showing up as unread today.

I turned off a feature last night that stopped this working across multiple computers, so if you read a thread on one PC/phone/tablet/laptop and move to another device it will think you haven't read the thread.

Are browsers on the same computer supposed to have read/unread synchronization?

Currently, topics that are marked read in Firefox are showing up unread in Chrome, and vice versa.

Ideally, the read/unread status would be remembered all the time for each user, regardless of browser or computer, but I understand that might be difficult if it uses excessive resources.

More info:

If I disable "Compatibility Mode" in IE9, then posts and threads are correctly marked as having been read, but...

a) The "Mark all as Read" control returns the client to the Main Forum page immediately, and;

b) A whole bunch of other controls no longer work properly at all. These are the objects that require clicking on them to display the associated menu of options. Once clicked, they execute whatever happens to be the first choice in the list.

These include:

"Report" status changes

Member Profile ("username" at the top of forum pages)

-and-

c) On my smartphone (which also employs IE9), the "Files" and "Images" controls in the game sites.

Re-enabling "Compatibility Mode" resolves the latter issue, but creates the former one. :unsure: