[LE] Knowledge Help with Model Conversion to Nif Pieces?

Devaxus

That's indeed the pose missmatch I'm talking about, start by scaling your model so it's the same height, then animate it rotating bones as needed. Go through the bones following hierarchy, from shoulder to fingers not the other way around. Same for legs. You can import the skyrim body model as well that should animate with the bones, probably easier to see what you are doing with the model than just the skeleton.

How's this?

5ixJRuL.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do have to rig it of course, you could say that's the way to "attach" the skeleton to the model in that the model will follow the skeleton's moves according to the vertex weights. That's what I refered to at the beginning of this thread, that it was probably the most substantial hurdle in implementing armors. Rigging I believe is covered also in the tutorial channel I linked before, weight painting, skinning, rigging, it's all the same thing.

The thing is that to rig it properly and one could say efficiently you need the pose to match because when you "copy" the weights from the vanilla body or an armor set (skin wrap modifier) to have a starting point that you later improve in the skin modifier. That copy is based on vertex proximity so the model you are copying from and the model you are copying to have be in the same pose or relatively close.

For example, if you skin wrap your model and vanilla body as you have it in the screenshot above the weights of the fingers are going to very bad because it's nowhere near the body's fingers.

Now, there are multiple ways to "re-pose" the model, you could do it by hand moving the vertices around for example, with soft selection and it would work. Fingers could be quite tedious. I don't particulary like that method. What I did once that I was in similar situation that you are in was make that animation of the skeleton from skyrim's pose to my model's pose. Rig it in my model pose and animate it back to skyrim's (the model following the skeleton now that it's rigged/skinned).

Edited by FrankFamily

You do have to rig it of course, you could say that's the way to "attach" the skeleton to the model in that the model will follow the skeleton's moves according to the vertex weights. That's what I refered to at the beginning of this thread, that it was probably the most substantial hurdle in implementing armors. Rigging I believe is covered also in the tutorial channel I linked before, weight painting, skinning, rigging, it's all the same thing.

The thing is that to rig it properly and one could say efficiently you need the pose to match because when you "copy" the weights from the vanilla body or an armor set (skin wrap modifier) to have a starting point that you later improve in the skin modifier. That copy is based on vertex proximity so the model you are copying from and the model you are copying to have be in the same pose or relatively close.

For example, if you skin wrap your model and vanilla body as you have it in the screenshot above the weights of the fingers are going to very bad because it's nowhere near the body's fingers.

Now, there are multiple ways to "re-pose" the model, you could do it by hand moving the vertices around for example, with soft selection and it would work. Fingers could be quite tedious. I don't particulary like that method. What I did once that I was in similar situation that you are in was make that animation of the skeleton from skyrim's pose to my model's pose. Rig it in my model pose and animate it back to skyrim's (the model following the skeleton now that it's rigged/skinned).

Ive gotten it as close to lined up as I can without pissing myself off lol.

wQDuGnn.jpg

what Do I do if the bones are too short?

Ys3S3Jo.jpg

You should be able to move the bones stretching them a bit, push the hand bone a bit more into the hand and then get the finger bones as close as possible. Note the finger bones don't reach all the way to the tip of the fingers, they end at the last joint controlling the last phalanx, so they might not be as short as they seem.

qyi3fh1es0zgxw2zg.jpg

Edited by FrankFamily

You should be able to move the bones stretching them a bit, push the hand bone a bit more into the hand and then get the finger bones as close as possible. Note the finger bones don't reach all the way to the tip of the fingers, they end at the last joint controlling the last phalanx, so they might not be as short as they seem.

qyi3fh1es0zgxw2zg.jpg

in my previous screen...i realized after I took it, I had been using the female skeleton instead of the male one lol