Managin Savegames need to be improved

dilldappel

Managing savegames is an important feature for modding. It's important to see, witch plugins and mods i need to load. Unfortunately, Vortex does not implement that well yet. I have a lot of backups from older game, but I'm just using the standard directory for the import of savegames. This would be nice to fix it in a fashion that is possibel to load savegames from different location.

At the restore Window would be nice to have button, to save the list of missing plugins.

If you go to "Save Games" and right-click any of your save games, then select "Restore Save Game Plugins" it will re-enable all the plugins that save game depends on, if they are still in your plugin list:

supb1G1.png

Other than that, I am not entirely sure what you are requesting. Vortex cannot re-enable plugins that you have since removed entirely.

"Restore Save Game Plugins" is not sure mode to enable mods. When I have a load order, "restore save game plaugin" will overwrite the load order. But i would just install the missing mod, the a can play again use this save file.

I find also out a bug in restore save game. It´s not possibel to touch a second time the button, the menu not would be shown. I send you an error report.

• 1 year later...

interesting topic

i posted one over at steam convrsation forum under skyrim, exposing the same MISSING MOD and how to recover them from an old SAVE GAME point in time.

so neither steam or vortex can help us with lost mods, hein?

PS: when vortex menu mention PLUGINS... are those the same as saying MODS ???

Edited by Soundzen72

No, Plugins and Mods are different things, although a lot of people and even software use them interchangeably.

A plugin is a single file with the extension .esp or .esm. A mod is a bundle of files that modify the game. A mod can contain only textures and meshes for example and no plugins. Or it can contain one or multiple plugins.

One specific plugin could be contained in multiple mods, e.g. every translation of a mod would probably contain the same plugin just with text replaced.

The savegame has a list of the *plugins* used with that savegames, we don't know which *mods* you used at the time.

If there was a huge database of all the mods in existence and which plugins they contain, we could figure out which mod has to be downloaded/installed to get at a specific plugin, but

a) As I said, you'd still have to deal with different mods containing the same plugin and also we wouldn't know which *version* of the mod was used, so there could be hundreds of mods to select from

b) Such a database doesn't exist

Guest deleted34304850

A question for @Tannin42.

While such a database of all mods and the plugins they contain does not exist, is there a possibility for it - or a variation of it - to exist on a user's machine? In essence a database of all MY mods, and the plugins they contain at the time I set the game up (including settings ini files and so on)?

If I have all my downloads in a download folder that allows me to deploy them as I want/need, for example if I am starting a new play through, could that action of deploying the mods create a specific snapshot of the state of the game once deployment was complete?

Not sure what you mean, the deployment manifest (vortex.manifest.json) already contains the list of files that Vortex deployed, if you're asking for a way to visualize and filter that: sure, could be done and it's on my todo list but it's been there for a long time...

But then I don't see how that pertains to this use case because you wouldn't be able to find files that are missing this way.

If you want a database of all the files in your download archives or staged (but not necessarily enabled) mods: yeah, it could be done, but it could be a performance problem to keep that updated because reading archives can be quite expensive.

Guest deleted34304850

If you want a database of all the files in your download archives or staged (but not necessarily enabled) mods: yeah, it could be done, but it could be a performance problem to keep that updated because reading archives can be quite expensive.

This is what I was afraid of.

Thanks for the answer - and for the hint that you're already ahead of the game (ref your to-do list).