Best Fallout 76 Review! Get Excited!

MrJoseCuervo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice scenery and elevations, shocking FOV/DOF motion sickness (even with ini updates), some interesting mechanics to learn, zero emotional engagement. No need to mention the long list of software defects, we are all (probably) professionals.

TBH, for me the problem isn't even as much emotional engagement, but that most stuff doesn't even make any sense in the world, in the absence of some NPC for whom that's important. Whether or not you actually connect with the NPC on any emotional level, at least it's an excuse for why I would take a detour and do that. It's definitely not important for me, but hey, it's important for some other guy.

I mean, I may not feel emotionally engaged if some arcade guy pays me to hang some paper targets on the frames in a shooting range -- in fact, it's not even an interesting task, much less emotionally engaging -- but you can easily think up a scenario where he pays people to do menial tasks he doesn't have the time to do himself. And generally it makes in-world sense to pay employees to do that kind of menial work. It doesn't strain my suspension of disbelief that someone would pay me for that. But in Fallout 76, just suddenly deciding to hang up new paper targets because I found an abandoned range whose owner is long dead... it's just a WTH. WHY would I want to do that? For whom? Aren't there bigger issues in the post-apocalypse world?

F76 looks like a really good multiplayer mod for Fallout 4. Even if I wanted a multiplayer mod for Fallout 4, I think I wouldn't buy it as matter of principle, because I was shocked at how poorly supported F4 had been when I came back to it in 2017, two years after release. And I only came back to it because I learned that it can be modded. I'm still playing it thanks to mod creators who not only keep adding great stuff to it, but also have been fixing it all these years.

I have the same reason not to buy anything from CC. The game still has main-quest-breaking bugs - the main quest is broken! - and they decide that it's about time to start adding paid content. Not to mention the fact that those glaring problems are only the tip of the iceberg of what's wrong with the game - it's unfinished. I paid for an unfinished game. I don't want to pay for anything else until the issues with F4 are addressed. They, most likely, won't be.

And even if I look at F76 as a pack of new content, it doesn't all seem new. In fact, much of it looks pretty much the same as in F4 (weapons, enemies. etc.) It even looks as if F4 was just an asset storage for F76 and they had to turn it into a game because they weren't ready to make a multiplayer version. And it doesn't look like that big of a pack compared to what I've got from nexus.

I probably won't even know if I like F76 or not, because I'm not buying it.

Edited by e1grey

So we are all buying it ?

I'll have another look in year if there are private servers and mods, until then there's nothing here that interests me at all. Fallout New California has recently come out and that's far more appealing.

One thing i forgot to mention, which is for me interesting, are the story bits. Terminals, notes etc... I always love to read those notes and I think they can be very interesting. But this is not worth the money. I'll just wait for Oxhorns videos regarding the lore of Fallout 76.