Site and NMM updates, social networking features incoming

Dark0ne

The new home layout... please be temporary.

If not temporary, please add more boxes around everything so it doesn't look like a jumbled mess with some missing coding. Looks like a 90's website with a modern skin.

I know it's rude to be nitpicky about an awesome free service, but think about the potential new users. They might refuse to come here if the layout is hideous. And (new) modders, even more might switch to Steam Workshop.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One vote against the new homepage layout.

I think a good way to implement the new social networking features would be to add a "Feeds" button to the top, alongside "Files", "Images", etc... with the old layout.

I usually embrace change, and liked the last site update. But this is a tough one for me. Not only do i strongly dislike social networking sites, but the "Watched Content" feature went wonky for me a few weeks ago (keeps regurgitating old topics). I "fixed" it by unsubscribing to every topic i had ever watched, but it seems to affect the "Feeds" also. Wouldn't be THAT big of an issue but, as a mod author, i don't want to stop watching the topics related to my mods. In the "Watched Content" box it's not a problem because you only see the topic. But the feeds show every post...

I would also very much like the option to block the feature where your friends can see your activity. Maybe it's just 'cause i'm old-fashioned, or i might be too paranoid for my own good, probably both, but i really don't want this.

I guess I can open by saying when the change first went live, I didn't just not like it, I HATED it. It's kind of ugly, tracking a mod craps up the feed with endless posts by people I could care less about, any of the reasons that have been listed a hundred times previously. In short, I come here for mods, not for people.

After tinkering around in the preferences however, I can say I think it's at least a mildly positive change. All the above holds true, but when you crop a feed down to only the mod author, it makes it easier to watch progress on mods without manually viewing 50+ mod pages. My complaint here is that generally when one change is made, 4-5 or more are made, so 2 mod updates may fill the entire feed. Perhaps it could be altered such that if 5 consecutive posts are all about one mod, they get lumped together?

My primary standing complaint is still the overall ugliness of the new layout. It just seems that a central feed with smaller images for other mods on the sidebar just doesn't look great. Not awful, just kind of sloppy. I do like the below suggestion of adding a "Feeds" tab at the top. If that's your bag you could like straight to it, or if like me and apparently many others, you just like to hop on to see new stuff, the recent and hot files would be available right off the bat such as they have been previously, without all the stuff people seem not to like.

Could you add a "RANDOM FILE" button or something that you click and it just sends you to a random mod? On the old site there was a Greasemonkey script for this feature but it doesn't work with the new site. The random file button was an awesome way to delve deep into the mods and I uncovered and discovered many quality mods that way.

Please consider this feature and thanks for your donation to the community, heck, for making this community!

A few more comments.

- Thanks for increasing the font size on the front page but I still think the font size is to small. Before I could just scan with my eyes :terminator and articles/mods i was interested in would jump out. Now its a chore. (on large screens font size is fine but viewing on a tablet/phone/laptop is painful)

- Can you make the feeds show more than 3-4 lines per article. and reduce the size of the images allowed per article. Cause right now mod author articles have too little text to make sense of the article (I dont have time to click on every article to see what they talking about) and any images added to the article are huge and take up to much space in the feed.

- Can everyone stop neg voting people who are in favor of the changes. Im not keen on the change but I do support the right of everyone to have a view. Neg voting (and hiding comments) cause they dont agree with your point of view is not cool.

- Thanks for listening to the feedback Dark0ne. Im not a fan of the social networking side of the changes but I do like features that make it easier to find mods Im interested in. So filtered feeds of new mods based on tags and categories would appeal to me.

Edited by leapinglizard

TesNexus...yea the days of majic and wonder..;) I think the guys are doing a great job considering the amount of traffic they get per second. I shall always be grateful for the site, the players here and the wonderful modding gods, keep up the good work!....