The Feed System

McclaudEagle

The feed puts way too much emphasis on what's going on with the users of the site instead of what's going on with current and new mods

That's exactly the point of the feeds. This site already has many different ways for you to see what is new on the sites, we definitely don't need another feature to promote new mods. What we don't have is a way for you to see what others are enjoying, especially the people who you like/respect/share the same tastes with, as well as what mod authors are working on with current "non-new" mods. And that's what the feeds are for. If you don't want to be friends with anyone here, no problem, just change your preferences so that the "latest files" or "latest images" are your default feeds, depending on what you're here for, and continue as though nothing has really changed.

It is terribly ugly. This site is about mods first. Now, when I open it up, I see a bunch of broken up comments on random subjects and mods. I come here to see mods. Not what people are saying about mods. I agree that the feed should go on the side where, currently, the more important aspect of this site is residing. Mods on the main, feed on the side.

Edit: As well, even with preferences changed, I got this huge blank space that could be better filled with the mods, like it was originally. Social features should be an extra, put off to the side so it may still be accessible, but not the main focus or a distraction. Now, It's in the way to what this site is all about. I want to see mods, not what some random fella thinks about some mod. That's what youtube videos on mods is for.

Edited by JerichoStar

I have to be honest - The feed puts way too much emphasis on what's going on with the users of the site instead of what's going on with current and new mods. If it was out of the way, and the main focus was once again nearly on mods, I wouldn't mind it as much as I do now. Besides, I thought that was the original idea anyways?

Not to suggest anything, but these new "social" features is shifting the intended yet simple focus away from mod hosting and instead towards the social aspect of it, and that's likely to become a very complicated balancing act if you continue. You see, most well-known modders and mod groups open up their own site to make communication easier and more focused between dedicated fans and contributors of certain mods or mod projects - As Nexus is as now, adding social features into a place that feels cramped and claustrophobic tends not to work because despite all the features, you still have the potential of having to answer thousands of other people that have questions, comments, complaints against, or suggestions for your mod while in production, and that would be overwhelming compared to a small forum of a hundred or so that you could respect and listen to as much as they are willing to dedicate their time into improving a mod or encouraging a mod's continuation.

Hmm... Now that I think about it, why not open up subdomain site availability to premium modders who have a mod that has 1000+ endorsements on it? Or make them available for purchase, say something like $80 plus $20 per year?

I have to agree with Ziitch 100%. This is a mod site, not a social networking site. Although the social networking aspects are "nifty" the focus of the main page should NOT be on them. They should be an optional page. I signed up as a Premium member to get away from ads and trivial crap and focus solely on the main purpose of the site...supporting mods. Seeing what other users are saying about mods and whatnot needs to be confined to that particular mod's page, not splattered across the main page. News and new mods are what the majority of people are here for, not Nexbook...

I can't say I care for this at all. No more scrollable list of Hot Files at the top of the home page? I'm not really interested in what Joe Shmuckatelli has to say about some mod I'm currently using. If I'm having an issue or want to check for updates I'll go look. Social networking is all well and good for those that enjoy them, but to gag me with it on the home page isn't welcoming. The old layout was just fine, with a scrollable list of a handful of hot files and latest files and so forth. Now, as far as comments on tracked files, I'd be fine if the comments visible right off the bat on the home page were ones written by the authors..but to be spammed with variations of "it doodn't work this sux LOLZ" is depressing.

*sigh* What's next? Lists of spam messages offering me extra-special draugr toenails to fertilize my farm in Tamrielville in exchange for two-headed chocolate septims?

~thumbsdownfrownyfacefrownyface~

This change to the homepage layout is discouraging and disappointing. I agree with the others in that this site is about mods and providing a quality means of portraying the good work that mod authors develop. This new feed system, located so predominantly on the front page, deminishes and hinders what until this point the nexus sites did so well to support the modding community. While it is possible to set in one's preferences that they do not want the comments of tracked mods to be the default tab, the new layout that accommodates the tabs still reduces the readability and usability of the site.

Honestly, I do not understand why the change was made on such an important part of the page. The old layout was efficient and very effective. It was a stated goal that the updates to the site, implemented and planned, were to better showcase new mods as well as popular mods. This new feed system dominated layout conflicts with this goal and In my opinion, adds confusion, frustration, and inefficiency. I scroll more and get less pertinent information.

I have no issue with the idea of a feed system, but it should be relegated to a side column where it won't detract from the main focus of the site. As it seems from some comments, that the feed system is here to stay, I strongly encourage at minimum that the current layout positions be switched. Place the feeds on the narrow right column and return the hot files, latest files, and latest images to the right main column. That better portrays the mods while not detracting from the community activity. As stated by others, the feed system is jumbled and confusion thus, it adds little to the community or site and has no place at the main focus of the home page.

The core focus of the site, at least what I see as the core, is mods. The community, a vital part of the site, exists because of the mods. Keep the community strong and mods prominent by reverting back the the prior layout or at the vary least switching the column contents.

Well, I for one welcome the new features.

It was always a complex and tedious task to check if there were any new comments to one of my images or, The Nine save us, for one of the mods I was tracking even. Now I can have it all in one place, and that's a good thing.

At least from an author's point of view, that's what I usually do, before going further on to the forums, checking my mods, images and tracked mods I promised to maintain support for in their comments for any new comments.

Now I can finally do that from a centralized place and for all at once. I'm definitely thankful for that.

What I don't really care for though is where exactly this place is located. Whether it's on the front page or some subpage, on the right main section or the left sidebar, I couldn't really care less.

If users could 'configure' this also with the same granularity as they now can configure what they want to see in the feeds and what not, that would be a fantastic solution and everybody would be pleased.

But I for one don't really care. I'm glad to have the new feature. It doesn't really matter to me where it is located.

Thought the site was broke, was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to get the old layout back just to find this thread and realize it is a new obstacle. So I changed the preferences to show latest files, it is just horrible. Just looks very cluttered.

Normally I do not post here, but this redesign drove me here.

I dislike the new design a lot. The old design was great, I could quickly see a small row of the 5 latest mods, with a small thumbnail and a title. Same for the top 5 of hot mods and newest images. Now I have to scroll down for this information. I can still see the hot files easily, at two places at the same time without scrolling. This feels kind of weird and redundant.

But for the latest files I still have to scroll. Which seems odd, after all the latest files change more often than the hot files. So why not focus more on the stuff that changes more often? Especially since there are two places to see the hot files now.

The site feels now more like this was made for a mobile device instead of normal computer. Which would be quite odd, since mods are kind of useless on mobile devices. I have a desktop resolution of 1920*1200. Though the width the site uses has not changed compared to the old design, it does feel like a waste of screen space now.

Add to the fact that I’m more interested in mods that any of the social stuff, the whole emphasis on comments now just does not feel right.

To be honest I get the idea that this was purely made to go along with the whole social media craze. As the idea behind the feed seems the same as that of the feed of Facebook, though with different kind of info to display. Honestly when I first came across the new design I closed the tab in which I was viewing skyrimnexus in, since I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Tl;dr: old design gave a lot of information without having to do extra things.