A Whole New Level of Respect

LarianHawke

First of all, Admin, my apologies if this not an appropriate forum to post this, but I believe this needs to be said. I can repost in another forum or it can be moved, or just REmoved... but.. I think some of the people need to know a few things before requesting, and then getting upset when their requests go unfulfilled..

I have requested a couple things in this forum, both a certain hairstyle and an armor set. I was a bit upset when both requests got pushed back page after page, and since bumping isn't allowed, I let it be. In the past I have tried Blender, Nifskope, 3ds Max, Gimp, Photoshop, etc.. you get the idea... some programs are fairly easy to learn and some are just brain clusterf***s waiting to happen. After several attempts at trying to blindly feel my way through these programs at an attempt to make my own things, I gave up and requested them.

As I stated above, the requests went unanswered, pushed back to page 20 or more.. and forgotten. At first I was upset, thinking how hard could it be to do this stupid armor for someone with experience in the 3d programs when the top is similar to a hide cuirass already in the game. WOW, was I in for a shocker.

Rather than make another blind attempt I decided to learn at least the basics, if not more, of 3ds Max. I found 2 tutorial series on youtube from DigitalArtsGuild... I got through the first 4, just the basics, with no problems.. and then I moved on to the next series. I'm about 1/3 of the way through this series (which, making a simple chair, you would ASSUME it was cake), and I am already screaming.

So.. to the main point of my post.

TO ALL THE MODDERS OUT THERE THAT MAKE ARMOR, HAIR, ETC AND POST IT ON THE NEXUS FOR OUR USE, AND THEN GET PAGE AFTER PAGE OF COMPLAINING ETC, AND TO ALL THE MODDERS THAT PATIENTLY READ THESE FORUMS:

Thank you.. for ALL you do. Retexturing and bringing it into game might not be that hard.. but the folks that spend hour upon hour in a 3d program making custom armor or any other kind of meshes... you have my deepest respect. It took me about an hour to make a simple ice cream cone to look like what this instructor was doing in the tutorial lol.. and I really don't want to admit how much time I've spent on only 5 of the 14 videos of this next series. :facepalm: I have learned enough to know that making a custom armor is nowhere near as simple as some would think. It's not just creating the armor.. which is time consuming in itself.. but then you have to conform it to the skeleton or body shape.. and heaven forbid any of us use a body improver :tongue: .. then it has to be reworked with materials.. then in another program to declare the textures.. and the lighting.. and honestly people, that is BARELY summing it up.

Hopefully people will realize, BEFORE requesting something, that it very well may not happen if it has to do with making it from scratch, or even making it look like something you saw in another game. It's tough work, and it takes time. If you DO request something, please don't get pissed and nerdrage when no one replies, or your request post gets pushed to page 20, etc.

~One more note.. a request at simple manners and grattitude for all the modders out there that you address when you make your requests... realize also that scripting and other modding things are not that simple either, at least not to all. Please keep that in mind as well. What you may consider a simple script or simple retexture, may very well NOT be that simple.~

*Sigh* ok, I'm done ranting.. again, admin, apologies if this is the wrong place.. and one more THANK YOU to the modders out there. :wub:

Edited by LarianHawke

Your black letters on a dark grey screen are almost impossible to read. I recommend that you change the color of your text back to default. Otherwise no one is likely to read and answer your post.

Your black letters on a dark grey screen are almost impossible to read. I recommend that you change the color of your text back to default. Otherwise no one is likely to read and answer your post.

Default-shmault. Sorry was unaware.. I don't use the dark setting, I use white.. Now it will show up on both. :thumbsup:

Indeed.

I can mod, I can retexture, but 3d modelling (and as far as I can tell ALL of the programs to do it) are seriously difficult to get into. So far it's the only thing I've ever found in computing-land that I've totally given up on learning due to difficulty, I'm used to being self-taught, and I'm used to it being a hard slog to learn, but 3d is a bridge too far for me.

Massive respect to all who give their time to do so, especially for requests.

Generally, I think there's a problem with people not appreciating how difficult some things are, and even how time-consuming some simple things can be, but feeling entitled to almost demand that someone do for them something that they are unable or unwilling to do for themselves. In particular it gets on my nerves when people say they have a "simple" request when they have absolutely no idea whatsoever how difficult or complex it will be to implement.

Simple ideas aren't always simple to execute.

Putting a man in space was a simple idea, it wasn't simple to do.

It also doesn't help that only about 1% of the whole community got the skills to make a set of armor, or any kind of decent models. Every time somebody have done a "I take modelling request!" they get a solid 20 pages full of request in a week. I got burnt with that myself a year back.

Let me quote what somebody once wrote. Something which every non-modder should engrave into their forehead:

"Take the time you think it would take to make a model. Double it. Add 1 week. Now you are approximately halway of the actual time it takes."

That said, don't give up 3d. It's one of those hobbies that takes a good few years before you get any good at it, but boy it is rewarding getting a good model done! At least if it is for a contest or a request. The extra good feedback from people can turn any bad day into a good one.

Cheers,

Matth

Indeed.

I can mod, I can retexture, but 3d modelling (and as far as I can tell ALL of the programs to do it) are seriously difficult to get into. So far it's the only thing I've ever found in computing-land that I've totally given up on learning due to difficulty, I'm used to being self-taught, and I'm used to it being a hard slog to learn, but 3d is a bridge too far for me.

Massive respect to all who give their time to do so, especially for requests.

Generally, I think there's a problem with people not appreciating how difficult some things are, and even how time-consuming some simple things can be, but feeling entitled to almost demand that someone do for them something that they are unable or unwilling to do for themselves. In particular it gets on my nerves when people say they have a "simple" request when they have absolutely no idea whatsoever how difficult or complex it will be to implement.

Simple ideas aren't always simple to execute.

Putting a man in space was a simple idea, it wasn't simple to do.

I just can not texture things. I can't draw, at all. Nothing! Modeling is easy to get into to me but texturing? No sir.

Edited by DavidD

I just can not texture things. I can't draw, at all. Nothing! Modeling is easy to get into to me but texturing? No sir.

Haha, nor me, I can only really REtexture in the sense of reworking existing DDS colours etc, maybe adding some small elements like logos/text/weathering etc... ;)

I cant really create, I'm just half decent at photoshop processing.

Edited by tetradite

It also doesn't help that only about 1% of the whole community got the skills to make a set of armor, or any kind of decent models. Every time somebody have done a "I take modelling request!" they get a solid 20 pages full of request in a week. I got burnt with that myself a year back.

Let me quote what somebody once wrote. Something which every non-modder should engrave into their forehead:

"Take the time you think it would take to make a model. Double it. Add 1 week. Now you are approximately halway of the actual time it takes."

That said, don't give up 3d. It's one of those hobbies that takes a good few years before you get any good at it, but boy it is rewarding getting a good model done! At least if it is for a contest or a request. The extra good feedback from people can turn any bad day into a good one.

Cheers,

Matth

I like that quote.. a lot. It's the truth, really. And despite the cursing and hair pulling, I'm having a lot of fun learning 3d modeling. I won't give up... at least not right now.:biggrin:

I'm sure we'll still see our fair share of 'simple' requests.. and it wasn't my intention to bash on the requesters or ask them to stop requesting.. I simply wanted people to know that modelling is not that simple for everyone and that I realize that, and have a new respect for the quality of models and armor available for us to use in the game, and the people who make them.