At least they tried to make (fake) reflections.

krepperk

Exactly! nice that folks are noticing that.

it's early days for FO76's mirrored stuff,

but to see what they were able to achieve with near-real-time rebijection

and using precombines,

indeed, they're trying to do reflections and mirrored surfaces 'better'.

I think it will be a while before

stuff like an all-chrome Mr handy's reflections look quite right

though it sure is a big step up from having mirrors being broken.

Well, actually that wasn't my point. It really isn't a reflection, it's just an image that they have put on to what is suppose to be a reflective surface, but the image doesn't correspond at all to what the reflection would have been like if it had actually been a reflection. I think I saw that exact same "reflection" in a window at Uncanny Caverns.

and using precombines,

Seems like someone didn't even watch the video where a treeline was in the reflection, but the player was on a crane in the middle of a burnt out area. I don't think it's a major issue, but c'mon man, don't blindly praise work that isn't even there.

STATIC reflection maps (textures captured from the game editor, then placed on ingame reflective surfaces) are as old as the 3DFX Voodoo1- and are literally nothing but another ordinary alpha texture.

More 'modern' are the reflection BOXES that may be semi-realtime generated - and are still used in the FAKE 'ray tracing' of Battlefield 5 on the new Nvidia 2000 series GPUs (so-called 'RTX').

Some people get confused with PORTALS and real time reflections in water and marble floors. Portals (seen in the really old Duke Nukem and Quake 3) are just ANOTHER render of the world space, usually with lower detail. Water and floor rreflections are a much simpler planar method.

True reflections cost way too much for their impact in most games- fake 'artistic' 'reflections' are usually more than good enough. This is why the entire 'fake news' 'fake ray tracing' horror from Nvidia, that lowers GPU perfomance between 60% and 75%, is a dead end. Did you know REAL ray tracing (never used as the standard render path in even the most expensive CGI cartoons) requires thousands to MILLIONS of rays per pixel that must each be bounced around world space multiple times. The BEST Nvidia card (2080TI) at acceptable framerates at 1080 can do around ONE ray per pixel with ONE collision. That's ONE ray not one thousand. You cannot ray trace in realtime even on the 'latest greatest' GPU. What Nvidia means is a tiny number of rays hitting a standard cube reflection map (as in BFV) which is no-ones definition of 'ray tracing'.

Beth's engine, even in FO:76, is decades out-of-date. But with more VRAM and more shader power, even those old render methods can be made to look pretty good by a great graphic artist. So long as people do not expect miracles from engines that should have been taken out back and humanely 'ended' years ago, many may feel somewhat satisfied.

and using precombines,

Reflections - YAY! That's all I ever wanted from a BGS Game or any game.

I'd happily trade good and interesting gameplay or even gameplay as a whole if I finally get reflections.

Character animations on par with other 2018 games? Nah, don't need that. Reflections - that is what we need. And Godrays.

Because... you know... those are the most important parts in a good video game. Right?