New Site Index - Day 3

Dark0ne

Regarding the previous suggestion to merge the New Files and New Images into one tab:

I don't think I'd like that, I have zero interest in the new images, or any images, but a lot of interest in the new files.

Also, if my previous (very repped-up) suggestion is implemented, of putting the MOTM/FOTM into the tab-ribbon, allowing for the right panel to be removed or at least much smaller, then there will be a lot of place for all the icons in the ribbon.

That right panel could easily be 1 icon width to give more real-estate to the center area, which users can set to display what they like, so the thing they want to see will have more coverage.

However, having the right panel gone entirely with all of its content available in the tabs of the center area would be best I imagine.

Maximum only-see-what-you-want action.

________

edit:

I also still believe that FOTM is in a super horrible position, since it moved the vote-rate dropped like a pile of bricks. Trust me I've been watching it with intense anticipation!

It's like FOTM became the Nexus' shameful uncle who it has to acknowledge but not be associated with.

all the way in the bottom off to the side with no pictures (only mod links on the entire site with no thumbs, ouch, slap in the face)

Edited by Athyra

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed you removed the "more files" link and added arrows instead. I suggest adding a "First page" button there aswell as page numbers. Otherwise it will be even more confusing.

Also, without a "First Page" button, you will defeat the purpose of "Less loading from server", since the only way to go back to first page is to reload the web page...and I alone reloaded 3 times in less than a minute...

Edited by 92DemonKing

If I remember correctly the files of the month did not have images before the update, right? So, why add some now?

The entire side update is about featuring small mods, that tend to get burried over time.

Featuring five top notch mods in a list with pictures (description and comments probably?) would just lead to people voting for the same mods that already are famous.

People should vote from the mod's page (which already has pictures) after downloading, enjoying and endorsing the mod. If someone needs pictures in the fotm list to remember which mod to vote for, he/she probably shouldn't vote.

I'd likte to see a fotm feed that displays the votes for the current month and the winners of the previous months like the fotm link in the files dropdown menu already does.

Edit: I likeDemonking's idea about page numbers for the latest files and images.

Edit2: Ooooohhhh wooooohooooo!!! Multiple delete in the tracking center! Since when has that been there? Can't remember seeing it this morning. No more excuses to not sort through those 11 pages. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Edited by Grimoa

I love this new design with the new options. Thanks!

The only thing I don't like is that the arrows for the hot files at the top seem to operate backwards. They seem to operate as if the "bar of hotfiles" under the big hotfile photo should be sliding back and forth (which would be quite cool). It doesn't for me (no script inhibitors on this website and nothing of the sort activated.....using firefox 13.0.1) and so the arrows are backwards. Am I the only one?

Edit.....I have complained about this before so....must be. Sigh.

Edited by ringgold99

Is there any way you could do a poll asking people if they like the new site design or not? That way you would see if it is just a "minority" of people who don't like it.

I know you guys probably spent a lot of time on this but I am just curious.

if you compare these two websites:

google.com, and

yahoo.co.jp

the new design is definitely closer to the "saturated"/Yahoo side.

In other words I agree with etayorius that it is quite saturated, but a lot of people really do like seeing everything at once, it's the old "How much empty space is good?"

I am okay with a more saturated design IF it is clearly easy to navigate and intuitive.

The way it is now with latest files/images available in both the main area and on the right panel, but FOTM is only in one place and out of the way, is not intuitive to me, and not easy to navigate for a 1st impression user.

Also, as we the regular users are familiar with the site, the complexity isn't too overwhelming and it takes a moment to get our bearings, but for a new user it's definitely overwhelming with way too much going on at once and not a clear way of how to navigate around the site.

Edited by Athyra