Learning while playing the games we love, is it possible?

3aq

Here's something I've always thought about, and something of a food for thought. When we are playing games, we are naturally spending our time doing things for our hobbies, in a negative light "wasting our time" for what we love.

In today's culture, video games is often associated with failure and excessive video game more than often does lead to that. Unfortunately popular media and let's face it, the community as well seems to propagate this notion.

So what's the point of this post may ask? The games and mods we play as well as the accessories/hardware they require, surprisingly is developed by bright minds of our generation. Ironically though, as if by some strange twist of fate, the byproducts of the work is used to propagate the continued love and hate culture associated by gamers. That games is detrimental, in this post in particular, towards learning. Gaming spurs the mind to be creative, however it does little to fostering knowledge.

My question then is, is it possible to somehow twist that notion, in order to turn this stereotype around? (besides the usual, exercise proper self control, etc). The answer to my question is simply modding (or DLC -- if gaming companies and publishing companies ever hold hands, a pretty strange notion in general; two of the most cut throat industries working together, lol.)

Using games, such as Skyrim and Fallout, that require some form of minigames as a testbed for my thought experiment, I thought of ways to alleviate the negative stereotypes. Say your child, or even you, are currently studying for subject A (whatever this subject maybe, ie some field of language, math, science, etc.). Load up a question package where any type of mundane task the game fires up, say lock picking or forging, would be replaced by marathon question mini game where multiple choice questions are asked instead. Your strings of success will determine the % or effectiveness of w/e mundane task it is you are doing.

Ideally, if one failed and keeps failing, it's the game telling you take a break and start studying, if all's good then nothings wrong. Though, I can understand the negatives of this would most probably be the immersive factor, ie why the hell would Dohvahkin want to know haskell, or would want to know the proper procedures to perform a discectomy (first gently knock your patient out with a -Dah, then carefully place your daedric greatsword upon the nape..), that's besides the point, as it's kind of unavoidable.

Would this be conceivable?-- maybe not, but rather than that, how about simple inputs? Appreciate any who leaves their thoughts. Cheers.

edit note: grammar.

Edited by 3aq

I think about this a lot. I believe it would be a wild success, if the companies cared to do it. Imagine a game company getting together with the publishers of the Firefighting Essentials book, and various instructors, just for an example. Starting a game, as a rookie, having to play through every task in training, properly, in order to complete a quest. Minor errors may result in an NPC yelling at you, forcing a redo, or some equipment loss or degradation, loss of game currency, etc. Major errors, safety errors, may be in-game death. Didn't make sure the hydrant was off, before taking off the cap? Busted kneecap for you. Forgot to keep your hand on the bale? Free-flying nozzle, with RNG determining whether you get off lucky, get a nice bruise for your troubles, or get your skull crushed. Forgot to leg lock the ladder? Maybe you'll be ok, or maybe you'll slip, or get knocked off when some fool opens a door he shouldn't have. It would be a huge, expensive project, in order to incorporate just the most critical skills into the game, but if it was able to be made functionally playable and entertaining, like Skyrim, what a supplement to book and training ground it could be.

@thumbincubation I believe if they wish to do it, they'd have to start at the beginning where the game's backbone is being sorted out, so as to streamline question content with all possible field of studies, but your example does hold merit. I envision something like a 3rd party DLC/Mod - H. Mora's Knowledge ( xxx edition ) where the xxx is the subject title. When you load up the plugin, you'll be greeted with an additional menu or MCM where you get to decide which chapter of the book you'll be focused on. This way a person can pinpoint the chapters or sections he/she wishes to revise/study on. I believe it would be a big step in the proper direction.

@Pippboss indeed, but why though? is there a possibility of changing that?