Awesome Quotes

LHammonds

Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun- Mao Zedong

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, but the most responsive to change- Charles Darwin

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist- Dom Helder Camara

To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction- Isaac Newton

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl- Frederick the Great

We will make electricity so cheap that only the rich will burn candles- Thomas Edison

Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot eternally live in a cradle- Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return- Leonardo Da Vinci

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about- Oscar Wilde

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer, quoting “The Bhagavad Gita”

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children- Native American Song

Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window- Steve Wozniak

Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep- Sputnik I

Soon it will be a sin for parents to have a child which carries the heavy burden of genetic disease- Bob Edwards

The real problem is not whether machines can think, but whether men do- B.F. Skinner

Sounds like someone plays too much Civilization IV . :whistling:

LIES!

LOL, yeah, it's true. But they have a lot of famous quotes. I'm surprised I'm the only one who has bothered to use it as a reference.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hows about...

"Everything is worth what it's purchaser will pay for it."

~Publilius Syrus

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disapointed they are not it."

~Bernard Bailey

"I never guess. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

~Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"Every mile is two in winter."

~George Herbert

"Politicians are like diapers. They both need changing regularly and for the same reason."

~Unknown

"A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age.""

~Robert Frost

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."

~Winston Churchill

"If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

~Anatole French

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."

~Oscar Wilde

Bleah, I'm going to bed :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, LHammonds, I had sort of stopped quoting for awhile, but you've picked on of my favorite authors. He said so many profound and wonderful things. I may be repeating some I've already posted elsewhere. I apologize if I am.

"That kind of so-called housekeeping where they have six Bibles and no cork-screw"

"It takes your enemy and your friend, working together to hurt you to the heart; the one to slander you and the other to get the news to you."

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort 'em as much as you please". (Oh how I would like to personally deliver this one. Ah, but nevermind..., because,)

"When we remember that we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained"

"My religion is simple. My religion is kindness."

I loved your quote, as I love the Dalai Lama. However, I have to admit it was a little disconcerting reading it with that gun shooting at me very few seconds. :laugh: . Good one though.

Dalai Lama

"My religion is simple. My religion is kindness."

I loved your quote, as I love the Dalai Lama. However, I have to admit it was a little disconcerting reading it with that gun shooting at me very few seconds. :laugh: . Good one though.

Dalai Lama

Old avatar :D

""Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon" - beautiful !

Nothing gold can stay- From the poems of Robert Frost

Natures first green is gold

Her hardest hue to hold.

Her early leaf's a flower;

But only so an hour.

Then leaf subsides to leaf.

So Eden sank to grief,

So dawn goes down to day.

Nothing gold can stay.

"Success and failure are both difficult to endure. Along with success come drugs, divorce, fornication, bullying, travel, meditation, medication, depression, neurosis and suicide. With failure comes failure". - Joseph Heller

"Please understand there is no depression in this house and we are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist". - Queen Victoria

"We trust, sir, that God is on our side. It is more important to know that we are on God's side." - Abraham Lincoln

"Courage is fire, and bullying is smoke". - Benjamin Disraeli