Should be basic but cannot seem to get it, help needed!

amokrun1

I'm trying to combine two mods. One is a weapon mod(call it MOD1) and the other creates the world space I want to put the weapon mod in(call it MOD2). I found the container in MOD2 where I want MOD1's weapon to be found. The first time was a success, the weapon turned up in-game, but then I realized I had edited the base container and so every container in the game that was the same container had the weapon in it. Then I thought I needed to duplicate it and create a new form, so I did, but then the weapon doesn't show up in-game! Just to test, I added in something from the base game, a gas mask with goggles, along with the weapon, and only the mask spawned in the container.

II feel I'm overlooking a basic element but I've spent all day trying to resolve it to no avail. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong/not taking into account?

I'm going to assume that both mods are ESPs. As a general rule, ESPs will only directly interact with each other by overwriting the same pieces of vanilla content or by using the same assets (scripts, meshes, textures, etc.)

For two mods to interact, they generally need to either import data from one another via scripts, or one of them needs to be a master file (ESM) rather than a simple mod file. I believe FO4Edit lets you add ESPs to the list of masters for other ESPs, so that might also be a potential workaround for you.

I'm going to assume that both mods are ESPs. As a general rule, ESPs will only directly interact with each other by overwriting the same pieces of vanilla content or by using the same assets (scripts, meshes, textures, etc.)

For two mods to interact, they generally need to either import data from one another via scripts, or one of them needs to be a master file (ESM) rather than a simple mod file. I believe FO4Edit lets you add ESPs to the list of masters for other ESPs, so that might also be a potential workaround for you.

xEdit does allow using an esp as a master for another esp. But most likely this would mean the second mod would have multiple masters, and the CK won't open a file with multiple masters by default (an .ini edit is necessary). And even if you make the ini edit, I'm not sure you can effectively edit the plugin in the CK; the one time I tried it spectacularly screwed up the references.

xEdit does allow using an esp as a master for another esp. But most likely this would mean the second mod would have multiple masters, and the CK won't open a file with multiple masters by default (an .ini edit is necessary). And even if you make the ini edit, I'm not sure you can effectively edit the plugin in the CK; the one time I tried it spectacularly screwed up the references.

Last time I tried it that way, the Creation Kit refused to use an ESP as a master and removed the dependency without removing the references. Fun times tracing down why I had broken extras of everything. I'm not entirely certain the game would accept it, but there is the potential it will. It just won't be editable in the CK if that's the case.

I already tried setting one of them as the master in FO4Edit but still couldn't get them to sing. In any case, I found a workaround and it does more or less what I want now. I'll probably try playing with xEdit some more though, would like to know how to do it more properly. Thanks!

Because as invaluable as xEdit may be, there are still some things you can't do with it - like editing worldspace - and some things it doesn't do correctly - like handle templated Actors (at least that was true some months ago).

Also, I imagine some people are more comfortable with the interface provided by the CK, and some probably don't realize how functional and essential it is despite being an unofficial tool.

why do people even use CK?

the Creation Kit is the tool required to accomplish the task of creating mods.

xEdit is the Optimal tool for making quick edits to the mods created by the Creation Kit.

so people use the CK because they like making mods. people use xEdit because they like making quick edits to the very same mods.

if you want to create a mod, the very first thing that will stick out is a program with the very word create written in its title made by the very same people of the game you wish to create mods for. :wink: