You need to uninstall Sounds of Skyrim

SergeantGrrock

I'm reading all these posts about "orphaned scripts" in the Scripts folder etc... I don't have anything there except stuff from SKSE. I only install mods from the Workshop so I guess I don't have to worry about stuff sticking around after uninstalling?

edit: Also I've been using SoS Dungeons for quite a while, and my current char is 50 hours in, savegame is 8 mb... I should be fine?

You get the same script-files from Workshop as well, only difference is that they're packed in a single file instead of spread out in directories. But it seems it's mainly the SoS Civilizations that mess things up, so you're probably fine anyway. Save-files past 20mb should be considered bloated.

I'm not sure if I understand the problem completely, but couldn't you simply delete the big save games and then make a new save? Woudln't that reduce the game save size or am I completely misunderstanding the situation?

If you have a normal save-file to roll back to, your chances should at least be bigger to being able to save it. But it seems to be an even bigger problem to uninstall it than keep playing with it, as your save seems to get bloated when the script-files are missing. Kinda hard to see the logic in this problem :P

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it seems to be an even bigger problem to uninstall it than keep playing with it, as your save seems to get bloated when the script-files are missing. Kinda hard to see the logic in this problem :P

Yep. Playing with SoS doesnt cause any problems for me, but when i uninstall it the savegame filesize explodes. This is quite annoying because i want to play with Climates of Tamriel which is incompatible with SoS.

But it seems to be an even bigger problem to uninstall it than keep playing with it, as your save seems to get bloated when the script-files are missing. Kinda hard to see the logic in this problem :P

Yep. Playing with SoS doesnt cause any problems for me, but when i uninstall it the savegame filesize explodes. This is quite annoying because i want to play with Climates of Tamriel which is incompatible with SoS.

That's too bad but I -still- don't get the entire problem. So could someone explain it to me... Again.?

Has Cliffworms given any word on when we can expect to see the mods ready for release? I've been DYING to play Skyrim again after half a year of not playing and I absolutely need SoS. There's no way I can play without it.

kingdark, the issue isn't with a specific save file, SoS essentially corrupts the entire save.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on but it seems to leave some scripts lying around that are overloading everything.

Even if you save to a new slot (and thus create a new file) and delete all the previous saves of the same character, that stuff is still in your game and the damage is already done.

I just lost a 60 hour save with a character I really liked, but that's life for you and when you install mods that's the risk you're taking because at the end of the day those mods are written by people like yourself and not a professional programmer.

Just thinking of starting over is giving me chills, I've done that so many times I can actually see myself dropping dead of boredom as I complete Lucan Valerius' lines like a machine, seeing as how I've heart it 20 times before.

But what can you do.

kingdark, the issue isn't with a specific save file, SoS essentially corrupts the entire save.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on but it seems to leave some scripts lying around that are overloading everything.

Even if you save to a new slot (and thus create a new file) and delete all the previous saves of the same character, that stuff is still in your game and the damage is already done.

I just lost a 60 hour save with a character I really liked, but that's life for you and when you install mods that's the risk you're taking because at the end of the day those mods are written by people like yourself and not a professional programmer.

Just thinking of starting over is giving me chills, I've done that so many times I can actually see myself dropping dead of boredom as I complete Lucan Valerius' lines like a machine, seeing as how I've heart it 20 times before.

But what can you do.

Use console commands to be faster or to skip the stuff you have alredi done serveral times.

Has Cliffworms given any word on when we can expect to see the mods ready for release? I've been DYING to play Skyrim again after half a year of not playing and I absolutely need SoS. There's no way I can play without it.

I'm with you. Alas, I haven't heard an encouraging word since this crisis began. :ohdear:

No updates/news from mod author? Im waiting for 4 weeks now :/

Perhaps the author is re-building his mod from scratch?

I would prefer a fix for teh current version so that we can at least uninstall it properly.

May be a very naive question, but I'll try it anyway:

If the issue is really caused by scripts running in the background - and I imagine them (in the good old TES4 scripting thinking) as something like quest scripts that haven't been stopped: If this is true, shouldn't it be easy to look into he mod with the Creation Kit and try to identify any scripts that are possibly still running, and then find a way to stop them via console? Or even better: Simply create a patch in form of an esp, which triggers the related stop commands?

Might be stupid to think so. If these scripts are really "orphaned" in terms of having no reference anymore that would allow to address them, then it's probably fruitless. But that's where I don't know anything about how scripts behave in Skyrim and what's going on inside a savegame file.

As said, I am only familiar with TES4 scripting so far, so my idea might be very dull. But better asking one stupid question than none at all 8)